458... Which One Would You Choose? | FerrariChat

458... Which One Would You Choose?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by oo7ml, Nov 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 oo7ml, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Hi,

I’ve narrowed my search for a 458 down to 2, and I’m struggling to choose one.

Would love to hear other people’s opinions in terms of which car they think is better to go for, considering the following.

A bit of context first...
    01 - I plan on this 458 being a keeper (famous words), due to it being the last NA V8 Ferrari
    02 - I already have a Testarossa (Rosso Corsa with Tan interior), which is another keeper

The 2 x 458’s
    - Both cars are the same year (2013)
    - Both cars have between 10,000 and 11,000 miles
    - Both cars are from Ferrari dealerships, and come with a 2 year warranty
    - Both cars have relatively the same extras
    - Both cars are relatively the same price

Car A (very similar style spec to my Testarossa)
    - Rosso Corsa
    - Tan (Cuoio) Interior
    - Silver Callipers (I really want yellow callipers)

Car B
    - Grigio Silverstone
    - Black Interior
    - Yellow Callipers

My Thoughts
    - It would be nice to have the same spec as my Testarossa
    - It would also be nice to have a completely different spec in a 2nd Ferrari
    - I really like yellow callipers on a 458, but not sure how much this should weigh my decision (I’m not interested in painting them, but would consider swapping them for OEM yellow callipers)
    - Considering it is a life time car, maybe it is better to have it in the more traditional colour of Rosso Corsa?
    - However, dark grey is my favourite colour in every other model of cars, apart from a Ferrari... and a Ferrari is the only car I would probably buy in red (if any of that makes sense :)

I literally can’t split them at the moment, which is a great problem to have.

Would love to hear your thoughts on which you think is a better car to buy. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Car B for me hands down. Grigio really shows the lines of the car and the yellow calipers are a nice offset

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

635CSI, FFan5 and oo7ml like this.
  3. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Car B. Hands down. Variety is the spice of life. You already own one iconic Ferrari in an iconic color combination. You have earned the right to start getting more adventurous. Plus, the 458 looks great in colors like Grigio and Nero.

DefunctNeurons and oo7ml like this.
  4. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    i had a 2013 grigio silverstone 458 which i had spec'd and loved the colour. for me its way better than red.

i have sold it little over a year now. but it took longer to sell due to the colour not being red.

having said that, 458's are a hot item these days. so a clean and decently optioned car, regardless of colour, would be ok.
    since you are keeping the car this may be a moot point.

oo7ml likes this.
  5. Boy roy

Boy roy Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    Hi oo7ml, This is my first post on FerrariChat, but couldn’t resist telling you I owned car A. Bought new in May 2013 and traded in March this year for a 2015 F12. Not a single issue with that car and it was never tracked. Maybe that helps you in the choice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mark , get B . Enough red , be different and it’s a gorgeous color too. Best , Kirk.

7. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Il Co-Pilota and oo7ml like this.
  8. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow...100% in favour of Grigio... very interesting :)

I actually thought most people would have leaned towards the more traditional colour.

Thanks again for the input.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    No mention of whether either 458 has the race seats. For some race seats are a must. With that said the new Roma in Grigio Ferro would be my choice. Time marches on.

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Car B

Napoli and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Get A paint calipers yellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technom3 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

FWIW , I’ve never owned a red Ferrari . I’m waiting on number 5 all which have been Nero or Nero Daytona.

Napoli likes this.
  13. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I just pulled the trigger on a 458 and it was RC with black calipers. My first Ferrari.

During the purchase process, I went back and forth on getting them painted giallo as this was what I wanted as well.

She has a Nero interior with the black sport sill and carbon fiber wheel caps. But I did some research about painting them giallo and as you can imagine there are several opinions on this forum regarding what color is best (look for statements about red/yellow being too Ronald McDonald ) and if you did want to paint them - should you do it with calipers on the car or off the car? Great debates on this topic.

My dealership said the best way to make them look OEM would be to take them off the car and ship them to a reputable shop in LA that does a great job - for about 6-7k. Car would be down for about 2 weeks.

When I saw her at the test drive she was perfect as is. I liked the fact that the black calipers made the diamond cut rims pop and she does have some black on her and it just worked for me. So no plans to change them.

Another interesting point that I didn’t notice at first is that the giallo of the calipers and the badge are actually different shades.

We are all so blessed to have problems like these! Good luck and drive safe! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mdrums and DefunctNeurons like this.
  14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

6-7k lol
    I did them in my ff for 1k. It’s a f dealer right?

17. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i would take car B if it's 10% cheaper. If it's the same price, car A. Grigio's an awesome manly color, but nothing stands out like the red whether on a sunny or cloudy day.The testa is too diff in shape feel or form than the 458, needless to say they are completely diff cars, both reds wont hurt (vs say a 360 + 430 in red)

18. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Glad you didn't pay $7000 to paint your calipers yellow. Not because yellow calipers would look bad, but because that's just the dealer trying to rip you off. They are finding a shop that is charging them $1000-$1200 and pocketing every dollar above that.

To OP, I would go Grigio, but honestly I think hearing other people's color preferences is not the right way to make your decision unless you care about resale.

Go with the color that you like more. If you want classic Ferrari looks that's fiery, get the red. If you want understated, go grey.

One advantage of Grigio is if you get bored, you can put a matte PPF on it and it will still look great, as grey is probably the best suited color for matte finishes. It's also a color that can be vinyl wrapped without much disassembly. Wrapping a Rosso car would require quite a bit of disassembly to get all the red to disappear in the seams.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen! Robbery

20. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep it was. That included everything - labor, shipping, paint shop, brake fluids.

Much debating on this forum on prices and whether to do color change on or off car, yes.

Was not a hard decision to pass when I saw her in person.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Get the one with race seats!
    B would be my choice though.

22. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks all.

As for the seats... neither have racing seats, and it's not something I care for at all (each to their own).

I'll let you know how I get on over the coming week.

Thanks again for all of the input.

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm thinking that you should get the one that makes your heart skip a beat when you look at it. BUT...very important, you MUST see them both in person. When I bought my car, I almost chose a gorgeous white one. It had charcoal wheels yellow calipers, black racing seats with white stitching. It was absolutely gorgeous. However, when I went to look at it, it just didn't stir my soul. It looked "too generic" gorgeous, but generic. In a sea of white cars, it doesn't stand out at all.
    I wound up buying a Rosso Corsa car which was my second RC Ferrari (that's why I thought I would be able to sway this time). When I looked at the red, it just looked more special and fun to me, and even if it's among other red cars, it STILL stands out because Ferrari red is a "special" red, it just looks different. I couldn't resist the red with black racing seats and silver stitching & trim. The funny part is that the only thing I didn't like was that it had silver calipers! lol. I REALLY wanted yellow. The more funny part is that now that I got used to them, I actually PREFER them! They look good with the diamond cut wheels, and they don't have that Mcdonalds look. Also, since 458's are popular in my club, my car stands out because I'm the only one with silver. It's a nice subtle way to be different.
    Good luck with whatever you choose, there is simply no bad choice. Post pics!

oo7ml likes this.
  24. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I usually hate silver/grey cars... but every time I see a silver/grey ferrari, it just fits. Especially with red interior.

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray