What is the Dino ownership experience like? | FerrariChat

What is the Dino ownership experience like?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Husker, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Back in around 1980 in Amarillo, TX, my dad and I were driving home around 10pm from having coffee. It was about 10 degrees that night with sleet and snow. When we were driving down the street, we spotted a Dino for sale on a used car lot. It was burgundy and had "$14,000" shoe polished on the windshield. It was dark, so we could just look at it with the light provided by the street lamps and with a small flashlight my dad had. I have always wondered what might have been had my dad bought the car.

So what is it like to own a Dino? Are they easy to own and drive? Do you drive them much? Do you have "mileage anxiety" because they are worth so much these days? Are they incredibly expensive to fix or own, as compared to say my 360? What kind of comments do you get at the gas station?

I hope to own a Dino one day. Thanks in advance for the comments.

LARRYH and synchro like this.
  2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Super easy to push around the shop with engine off, go kart'ish.
    Heaps of fun, but you never really get a feel for the real experience until you sit in the driver's seat and take in that view between the front fenders

NoGoSlow likes this.
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    View from the driver’s seat looks like gazing at a push up bra.

Brocco, Jamie H and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If only. I looked hard at a Dino at Barrett Jackson in 2004. I could get in, but it was tight. I passed. I think the car sold for $60k. If only...

I still think a Dino is the best looking ‘60s car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    [/QUOTE] So what is it like to own a Dino? Are they easy to own and drive? Do you drive them much? Do you have "mileage anxiety" because they are worth so much these days? Are they incredibly expensive to fix or own, as compared to say my 360? What kind of comments do you get at the gas station?

I hope to own a Dino one day. Thanks in advance for the comments.[/QUOTE]

Are they easy to own and drive: Not sure I understand this question but I try: If you buy a well maintained or quality restored car, then the answer is yes. You need a good relation ship with your insurance company in order not to be ripped off and you need to be cool with using the car on a regular basis, because it deserves to be used. In summer time, I tend to use the car for small trips around town as well as more planned trips to gatherings etc. I'm driving the car just as I used to drive my 911SC years ago. The Dino is easy driven and very small, the clutch is light, the steering is light and the car starts at once if correct set up. The gear box can be a bit delicate as other gear boxes from that era but you will fast get used to it. The car needs more checks and maintenance than the 911SC did but not more maintenance than other British or Italian cars from same era....Porsche engineering / Quality was simply better in those days.

Do you drive them much? YES

Do you have "mileage anxiety" because they are worth so much these days?: No, if you don't dare to drive the car, then you have bought too expensive in my opinion. Use common sense; Do not finance a 45 years old car for loan, keep it locked up at home, insure it according to value and use all kind of modern tracking devices so you can enjoy a coffee downtown in a calm atmosphere.

Are they incredibly expensive to fix or own, as compared to say my 360? No.

What kind of comments do you get at the gas station? People are generally very interested and very polite and friendly when they see a Dino. Even women smiles...-:).

Hope this will inspire you to buy one of these wonderful cars one day.

Best, Peter

Brocco, GermanDino, DinoLasse and 2 others like this.
  6. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Please allow me some poetic license, but I just can't get the picture out of my head of Kathy Bates saying, "You should have bought a Dino!"

7. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have owned a few Ferrari’s and still have a bunch of other cars. However, I drive my Dino more than any of the others and while driving it I still ask myself “why do I own any other cars”? I don’t have enough time left to dial on the kinda miles John Corbani or Synchro has but I will enjoy every single last one.

UroTrash likes this.
  8. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
  9. Carletto Sprint

Nov 1, 2020
    Roma
    Full Name:
    Carlo Diano
    Ciao,I’m a lucky owner of a Dino 246gt born in Maranello on1971. Every time I start the engine I forget everything...
    Carlo ,Rome,Italy

UroTrash, Nuvolari and pshoejberg like this.
  10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Quite the opposite, these cars need to be driven regularly just to maintain them in running condition.
    Don't ever leave one sitting for 3 months or more, I get anxiety if it sits too long, the gas is old or the tires get flat spots or the clutch sticks to the flywheel (happened once) etc.
    Buy, drive, enjoy!

Jamie H and UroTrash like this.
  11. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    One of the things I like about the Dino is that you can work on them yourself. If you are mechanically inclined, even rebuilding the engine and transmission is not all that hard and only a few special tools are needed.

UroTrash likes this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    In a word: SUBLIME!:):):)

13. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I agree with the opinions that the other forum members gave you- they are easy to drive and have no fear of breaking down. They are straigtford to maintain and are reliable. Aside from wearing her out, my Dino has only surprised me on the road a few times- once snaping a throttle cable and once when my waterpump decided to start squealing its bearing with constant dripping when I was leaving at a party while dressed in a pair of fashionable white slacks. In both cases I found a way to driver her home.

If you appreciate the feel and the sound and the mechanical fury of old-school analog road machinery-then I predict you would love the experience of owning/driving a Dino. It is a car which provides you with wonderful in-the-moment experiences-- while building long term memories you will be happy to look back on.

I have owned my GT since 1974. In my 20's I was constantly jonesing to drive her every dam day just to surf on the hedonistic combination of glorious sound, the impression of relative speed, and the sophisticated handling-- to reinforce my addiction . As other passions, machines, and more responsibilities influenced my decisions and time, my driving time ebbed and flowed.

Now that I am retired in the mountain, I am strafing the mountain roads savoring each drive.

As far as memories--this car has given me great memories. One night I was racing two 911's down the GW parkway at 3 am-- running out to the beltway. I beat the two 911s onto the beltway entrance ramp at about 110 mph I had forgotten that it was a severely decreasing radiused long on-ramp. As the turn tightened up I thought I was going to roll her so I stayed off the brakes and maintained positive throttle and rode it out-while almost crapping my pants. All four tires broke traction at the same time while sounding like ducktape getting ripped off a wall. Time slowed down and all I could think of was --"I have not even paid for her yet!!!"

Once during a sunny winter afternoon I spun her and got an upfront lesson on the merits of having a low polar moment of inertia. I hit some black ice at 50 mph and ended up in a big snowdrift-- after three spins back and forth across the road. NO damage-still running! I almost passed out from Joy! I backed out of it and drove away.

But the collection of memories which give me the biggest smile and hit me with the most nostalgic heart tug-- are all of those perfect summer all-night drives. The optimum combination of slightly damp evening air along with the slowly cooling evening temperatures always- for some magic reason--makes a carburated bike or car to run in it sweet spot. With the top of air cleaner left off - it is even more perfect.

I hope you decide to put a Dino in your garage--

TBigs, AandSC, Brocco and 8 others like this.
  14. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    That made me smile..thanks for sharing

MarkT likes this.
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Nuvolari, MarkT and Jamie H like this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    For about 2 years of the 15 that I owned one, my Dino was the only car I owned. It was my daily driver. Honestly it never broke down on me but I had some close calls.

The first time I drove the car from Phoenix (where we gave it a second life) to LA, the freeze plugs leaked in the head and it started overheating. But with a little coaxing it made it.

I drove it to the Monterey Historics from LA at least 3 times. Once I got stuck in traffic on the 101 Freeway in the middle of August. The car ran hot and the alternator burned out. I had to stop 2 or 3 times at gas stations to charge the battery but I actually made it there and back.

I was on a date and we had just left a movie. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. The key broke in my hand. So I reached underneath and hot wired the car to start it.

The closest I came to a real breakdown was I was pulling the Dino into my shop and literally about 5 feet from the entrance the clutch cable snapped. I pushed it in the rest of the way. I was shocked at how much better the clutch was with a new cable. Something you don't think about with a hydraulic clutch.

But in all those years after we got it running, it never was towed anywhere.

The biggest difference now than owning one in the 80's -90's is how much respect the car gets today. Back then -- not so much. I drove it to a Italian car show in LA once. The person who was organizing the show (complete with wearing Ferrari swag everywhere) told me: "Park it down the hill with the rest of the Fiats". Its difficult to understand today but the Dino was once an unloved car and looked down on by "Ferrari" owners.

So I say as I have said since then: "A Dino is not a Ferrari. Its better".

TBigs, Neelfryer, AandSC and 4 others like this.
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The DINO is a fantastic car to own I bought mine in 2012 or 13 and love it . as others have said it is easy to drive and has a surprising amount of room in the interior It is one of the cars that you can drive really drive on the street since it is not real fast compared to modern Ferraris.. Mileage never enters my mind I think mine has 44000 miles give or take but that is not a factor.. There are no timing belts to worry about so it is an easy car to service and very reliable ...
    On top of that it is truly in my opinion one of the most beautiful cars ever made...and makes my day every morning just to see it in my garage...

Husker likes this.
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I hope to experience one some day! Can you post a few photos?

LARRYH likes this.