348 - 348 Valve Cover Question | FerrariChat

348 348 Valve Cover Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Derekevan13, Nov 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derekevan13

Derekevan13 Karting

Jun 9, 2017
    While removing the 1-4 valve cover yesterday to install a new gasket, I noticed that the entire bolt came out as the nut was either cross threaded or over tightened. I ordered a new bolt and was wondering if there is a best practice for putting it Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login back in (dielectric grease, loctite, etc.)? Also, I accidentally snapped of some ignition wire clips. Anyone have a good way of removing these? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I just use the double nut trick.

As to the wire clips, carful drill/ small screwdriver.

and whilst you are there might as well get that cover re-powder coated!

Derekevan13 likes this.
  3. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    If my eyes are not deceiving me I think you are correct that the cap nut was cross threaded and not standing proud on the stud. Get a new stud and cap nut then a little blue LockTight on the stud end that goes into the head and tighten as suggested above with two regular nuts and you will be good as new.

4. Derekevan13

Derekevan13 Karting

Jun 9, 2017
    Clarification on the double nut trick, is that where I use an open nut to thread all the way down the post to tighten it, then back it all the way off?

Also, on the broken clips, drill tiny holes in the center, then screw small screws in then pull out with pliers?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    No need to turn the fist nut all the way, mid way is fine. Then take another nut and fasten it tight to the first nut so you can use that to turn the stud tight into the head. Then simply use two wrenches to release the two nut that are together and remove them. You are done.

A348W and Derekevan13 like this.