812 losing control | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 losing control

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by otakki, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Reg, he is definitely messing with it, but you have to remember that once he drives off without doing a launch, the LC disables. Also, you can engage LC in RACE and the ESC behave as if the car is in RACE, not ESE-OFF. My guess is that he was at the lights, thought about whether a launch was possible or not. But as soon as he sets off normally, LC is off even if he did activate it - which it sounds like. He then reconsiders the launch, drives off, gives it a boot full and loses control.

Wheels1 likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever. He just turned it up to 11.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You can hear quite clearly he was not in LC at the lights, if he was he would have just gone straight on as well. [ Just seen AB has said the same]

Early morning greasy roads and 800hp is an accident waiting to happen if you are in sport mode.

4. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #29 montpellier, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    If temp below 10 degrees tyres will not work well, Pi (worse) or Mi , they are designed for hard action and high temp, cool weather and damp road is bad news. In this scenario the car stability systems also struggle as there is so much rapid slip, it is akin to hitting ice or oil. Possibly rain mode would help.Only fitting winter tyres will really assist you there. But plant your foot with 800 bhp with minimal grip and, it seems, main traction systems turned off, and you are going to have a situation.

Glad no one hurt.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo

Yes. Very well calibrated progression IMO when going from SPORT to RACE to everything off.

6. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Everything that's already been said: cold tyres, cold surface, bridge with uneven grip levels, heavy foot.

Plus you can see he foolishly downshifts (you can see the paddle pull just before he loses it).

7. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I had exactly the same experience as you did in a Lusso in identical conditions to you. It was during a test drive on a cold damp road and the sales guy told me to slam the throttle down which i duly obliged ! Luckily between myself and the Lusso's electronics we managed to keep it in a straight line but the fact a 4WD Lusso lost traction really surprised me.

8. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Seen this a few times now and i think he accelerated hard with one tyre on the white road lines, or road arrows. The painted surface in the UK is like ice in the right conditions so he ended up with one side gripping and the other slipping. I know the computer would correct this but the amount of gas and the narrow road means he hasn’t got the space for it.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Somebody maybe tell him that if you want to make that nice V12 revving noise, you need to pull on both paddles at the same time for neutral then hit the throttle, rather than change down to first gear in a 800hp RWD car on a low grip uneven surface, and then stay on the gas like you still think you’re in neutral.

I’m guessing the car was on P Zeros!!

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You have to remember that the 4RM system is not a full time 4WD system, and it can only transfer 20% power to the front wheels. That's not much to save you when the rears get the other 80% or more. I did however, not floor it. It was just a regular gentle acceleration on a busy on-ramp.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    MPS4S shoes would not have saved him. A set of Pilot Alpin 5's would have been great thought.

Caeruleus11, Themaven and ryalex like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Why would someone post a video clearly demonstrating is poor decision-making and pathetic driving skills?
    Idiot.

otakki, Caeruleus11 and 350MH83 like this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Well I for one appreciate the very somber reminder of how truly dangerous these cars can be, and how with great power comes great responsibility. Sometimes you can get lulled into a false sense of security when you're cruising around town, forgetting you're behind the wheel of a V12 RWD monster with north of 750hp..

Garretto, otakki, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    See that's the part we really need to dive into. I think most of us would format that SD card, yet this bright falla not only kept it for his probably equally "facinating" friends so see, he made the interesting choice to broadcast it out for the whole world to marvel at.
    Facinating character.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

otakki, Themaven and italiafan like this.
  15. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    So he can buy a new 812 with the views revenue! :eek:

italiafan, ryalex and PJxxx like this.
  16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #41 BarryK, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Agree.
    As an 812 owner, I was curious about this video. Some of the behaviour is not typical of a boy racer. He uses the indicators to pass the first cyclist on the left, for example, shows some road manners, and not very common in London. Secondly, assuming he didn't suffer an injury impairing his common sense, posting it on youtube for all law enforcers and insurers of this world to see just doesn't add up at all. Also, seems possible he was not speeding heavily, but evidently above the 20mph zones that are common in that area. Even 5000rpm in 2nd "only" gets to around 45mph.

I have had a similar experience but in warm conditions, race mode, when I hit a patch of oil 2-3 feet long with my right rear on a corner on a light throttle. What was interesting was the way the electronic differential reacted and broke the traction on the left rear as well. Easy counter steer to correct but could have run away just as easily if i had been too slow. But what I experienced wasn't intuitive even though I have plenty of track/racing experience.

So I wonder if putting the video out is heading towards a "your honour, look, the car just left me, something must be wrong with it" defence even accounting for the clumsy downshift and excessive steer to the right just before losing it. Either that, or he has some true friends on social media :)

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Cold tires and cold brain on a supercar: a mix that doesn't ever forgive

ciao

Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I get that, but I doubt his intent is to altruistically educate others about the dangers of supercars.
    Especially given that most people would watch that video and conclude, “Idiot.”

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Play the video at slow motion, you can see when he first starts getting close to left side of bridge he goes full wheel lock to the right which undoubtedly started rear end to break away. Seems like he went into full panic mode

Il Co-Pilota and Napoli like this.
  21. muffinman

muffinman Rookie

May 30, 2013
    Pretty classic trailing throttle oversteer. Not surprising. These cars throw a fair amount of mass around and when you lose grip unintentionally it can get away from you. That’s what makes the F12 so fun on the track. Not easy to drive very fast, but a blast if you don’t mind burning up tires and making smoke. If you want to go fast, don’t buy the GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVR and ryalex like this.
  22. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I’ve got many hundreds of track days, thousands of race laps...etc....and I don’t run the TC off on my 812 SF unless I intentionally want to go sideways. And that’s on a skid pad or track.....

800 HP RWD cars can exist for the public solely because of the electronics that help control them. The car simply has way more torque available to it than it does grip...even in good conditions. Without the electronics, I doubt Ferrari could even sell this car for use on public roads.

It’s easy to get this car sideways without the nannies...much easier than it is in my 458 Challenge or M4 GT4 race cars...

Caeruleus11, Napoli and ANOpax like this.
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Extraordinary to find this video in the public domain... Who in their right mind goes around driving an 812 on city streets with a go pro stuck to their heads? Obviously a novice mistake but my goodness that was close to being a very bad end for the innocent folk outside the car.

It will be interesting to read the true story if it ever comes out in public...

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sometimes you don’t have to turn the manettino to CT or CST or even be stupid in order for the rear to step sideways making you loose the control of the car.
    Despite having driven my F12 before at high speed on the wet race track with the manettino in Race mode and having had a lot of fun recovering the rear when it shoot sideways coming out of the curves, I once had a very , very frightening experience on a road where I almost lost completely the control of the car. That happened some years ago on a summer day with a very pleasant air temperature while I was driving my F12 on a quite coastal road. With little traffic. the car manettino set in the Sport mode and the tyres, at the time the Pirellis PZero, showing a temperature of around 30ºC. After coming fairly slow at 80 Km/hour out of a curve followed by a long straight, I saw in front of me two slow cars moving close to each other. I started overtaking the first one and suddenly I noticed that on the end of the straight a fast car was coming into my direction. I pressed the accelerator a bit further down but not to the bottom in order to overtake quicker and as soon as I did that the rear shoots abruptly sideways to the left. My instant reaction was easing the throttle gently and not braking while trying to keep the front wheels steered with the road. But when I did that the car shoot sideways once again but this time to the right. I corrected once more with the steering keeping the front wheels steady and somehow avoided hitting the first car with the F12 right side. While I was already side by side with the second car everything repeated again with the F12 shooting sideways first to the left and after I corrected one more time keeping the front wheels steered in the direction of the road, shooting sideways to the right. Miraculously I managed to overtake the two cars without hitting them or losing completely the control of the F12 but when I got to the end of that straight I pulled to the right, stopped the car and had a very deep breath. I then stayed inside the car for about ten minutes trying to figure out what happened. Afterwards I got out of the car and my first instinct was to inspect the Pirellis Pzeros which were almost brand new but I wasn’t able to see anything wrong with them. However, later when I got home the first thing I did was to order a set of new Michelins PSS.

Some weeks later talking to a friend of mine that is an experienced racing driver and knows this road very well I described to him the all incident and he alerted me to the fact that the asphalt on that section of the road is polished. Some months later when the F12 was already equipped with the new MPSS tyres, I picked a quite hot day without traffic, used the same Sport manettino setting and decided to drive several times on the same road section to see if I could replicate the incident coming out of the same curve. Despite having put the accelerator down to the bottom while on the straight the car never shoot abruptly sideways like it did before and I felt that there was much more grip with the F12 always under control.

Fortunately this incident ended well but it showed me how the loss of control on a rear traction Ferrari can occur suddenly and unexpectedly when certain conditions exist.

25. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis

Skip to 1:25 if you’re bored however it’s quite an entertaining but scary video! That’ll show a Lusso losing control in the wet!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat