It's been a while since a tire thread | FerrariChat

It's been a while since a tire thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The 87 GTS needs new shoes. I have Bridgestone RE 11 on it and liked them. Car is not tracked, not driven excessive speeds. I like a softer ride. Suggestions and recent experiences please? Thanks, Keith

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Pirelli P7 Cincuratos. I have done about 10k miles on them & will buy another set in the spring.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Rosey likes this.
  3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I agree with @Iain. I have the modern Pirelli P7 Cinturato on my Mondial 3.2 coupe, and I'm very happy with them, and they look "correct" as well.

I've said this many times on these tire threads; don't put a super sticky modern tire on a 308/328. These cars were never designed for that level of grip, and it will take some of the fun of driving away.

moysiuan, Albert-LP and Rosey like this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Any modern tire is better than the tires that came on it! Last set of tires I just went down to the local BF Goodrich dealer - about a mile from the house - and they installed a set of Sport Comps. They work as well as the "premium" tires I installed the previous two tire changes. Frankly, unless it's been modified for the track, I don't think a 3x8 can make any use of modern max performance (expensive) tires.

Obviously if you want a modern "retro" tire for appearance sake, that's a different thing...

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Continental Sport Contact are pretty sticky. The size comes and goes ??

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Beetleything and myronx19 like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you're happy with Bridgstones, stick with them. The only other tire I would consider is Michelin.

energy88 likes this.
  8. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks for the comments. The new Bridgestone 71R reviews extoll their grip...maybe too much so as noted above. I had Pirelli on prior to the RE 11 and I did not like the harsh ride. Are the P7 any softer than the old P zero? I have Michelins on the 430 and like them. Thanks again.

9. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I have Compomotive 17" on my 308 QV, fronts are 7" wide and rears 8" wide. The current sizes are 225/45 on the front and 245/40 on the back; however they look a bit small in the arches - esp the fronts. If I go for a taller tyre, say a 225/50 or a 235/45 on the front and say a 245/45 or 255/40 does anyone know if they would fit and do the job of looking better in the arches, and would there be any side effects, e.g. on speedo?

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ray here are my 17” Compomotive, 8” front with 225/45/17 and 9” rear with 255/40/17 Sumitomo HTR Z III

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Pirelli P7 heritage tyres are a different animal to the P Zero.

Beetleything and Steelton Keith like this.
  12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thank you Mate! Those P- Zeros were like riding on a concrete doughnut.

Rosey likes this.
  13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Ok, but those things are over twice the price of P7 Cs

The difficult tyres to find ( at least in the UK ) are the 225x50s for the rear , there are not many options. The fronts are common as dirt, it's the rears that limit the choice of what you can use.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I never said they were the cheapest... just the best !! :)

15. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
  16. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW my Ferrari 308GTSI is a driver, I put just about 15k miles on her this year. I run GT Radial Champiro UHP AS 225/50-16 & 205/55-16 They ride great and I do not mind if if run the tread off in 20-25k mile at Under $100usd mounted/balance. Just saying........

Manda racing likes this.
  17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Asking the experts. I bought a set of HRE 16" wheels, 8" front and 9" rear came off a 308. I am planning to mount some tires and use it for a second set of wheel with wider tires. So they're 1" bigger than the factory ones. What tires should I put on? I see Mike's set up above but his whees are 17".

18. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Ah, I guess mine must also be 8" at front and 9" at the back then - unless there were other size Compomotives for the 308?

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I just installed Continental Extreme Contact Patch tires on my 89 328 with my brand new used Compomotive Rims, 235 45 17 F 255 45 17 Rear 8 inch / 9 inch

I just came back from my first night drive with my air pressures set the way I like, and these tires are as good as the P ZEROS ROSSOS I have been using for 21 years . 245 45 17 R and 235 45 17 F. I think with the 9 inch rears and the 8 inch fronts, I may be able to go 245 45 17 F and 265 45 17 R , but I think I will stay with what I have .

Thank you

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've said this before and others have pointed it out but there aren't really any crappy tires out there, they've all been weeded out so it basically boils down to what tread pattern you like - how they look. I'm going with the BFG Sport Comps. I like the looks and I've used them on the Alfa. Honestly I'd go with the Perrllis if the didn't cost twice as much.

21. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #21 ginoBBi512, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020

I completely disagree, the 308 / 328 came right off Ferraris 1970s F1 effort, N. Lauda had a substantial part in its design, and quite the contrary , the tires of that era were most likely not up to the level of grip the 3x8s were capable of, especially when you upgraded to 17 inch rims. I have used P Zero Rossos super sticky tires on my 89 for 21 years, and the driving experience , second to none, even when compared to the sterile nanny aided Ferraris of today. My only want, would be that the 3x8s had 300 HP at the rear wheel, in no way for me, the 270 at the crank lessened my experience. AT 100,000 miles, my suspension was working almost as good as it does now , since it has been completely rebuilt. The difference was really felt once the motor mounts were replaced. My 328 has no problem getting the tires to turn and burn when the throttle is wacked open. For a car thats 31 years old, with a 60/40 rear to front weight ratio, these 3x8s are really a testament to Ferraris build quality of that era, and prior eras. , especially when it comes to handling.One more item I would like to speak about, would be that even with the 60/40 weight ratio, the 3x8s have a very balanced feel and feedback, the uneven weight ratio rears its head on downhill cornering, and off camber corners.

Thank you

22. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Quick update and advice. If you are about to purchase tires for your 3x8 get a head start. In the past two weeks ALL of these are unavailable nationwide in a set of four for my 328: No Pirellis, No Bridgestone Potenza including 71R, no Michelin PS 4+. I was able to get (ordered form Jersey by shop) a set of Continental Cross Contacts and they will be mounted next week. I'll do a post after I put some miles on them. The tire shortage caught me by surprise.

23. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You might want to check if the US spec for these tires is recommended for trucks and/or SUV

24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yup, I was going to go with the Sport Comp 2's but the rears are currently NA. P7's not until March. My tires are pretty worn and just found a one inch staple in the sidewall of my right rear so I'm grounded. I tried pulling it out but it was the only thing holding the air in! Two brands that are available are Michelin Pilot Exalto and Pirelli P-zero Rosso.

25. Cennzo

Cennzo Karting

Jan 29, 2020
    Sausalito CA
    Full Name:
    Vince Dattoli
    I’d recommend Bridgestone RE 71’s. They have a great tread pattern and grip really well and do have that softer ride you desire. Don’t like Pirelli’s at all.