Where to go after 458? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where to go after 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Evo X, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Performante is awesome, I miss mine.
    Pista and 488 spyder not at all.
    Really hard to replace the 458.
    I’d give the 458 a 9/10, and the 488 platform a 5/10 for enjoyment.
    Again, it all depends what you love. No wrong answer if you find that.

2. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    I haven’t driven the F12, but I have heard the same thing. Even the dealer said the same thing to me after he realised he couldn’t sell me the 812. He said the F12 might be more what I am looking for than the 812. Though I much preferred the look of the 812 and the F12 never really appealed to me in the looks department.
    The performante looks great, feels very alive, super loud and plenty fast. But strangely enough I still feel the unique sound and just the way the Ferrari engine revs is something special.
    I still look back very fondly on my 458 ownership, but didn’t drive it enough or drive the performante much either now. While I do miss the 458 I am happy with the performante as an update.

RayJohns likes this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What is it that you don't like about the 458? Or at least, what is it that you "would like", that's missing from the 458?
    I only ask because my 458 is the first car that I've ever owned that I have no desire whatsoever for that "next" car. I always had that "next car" feeling.
    As a matter of fact, I really loved my 360 and owned it for 6 years, but the first day I brought it home, I said "this is an amazing car, but since it's better than I expected, I can't wait to get the 458, it is going to be amazing". That's my usual MO. However, with the 458, I've owned it for 2 1/2years, and I still haven't found a car that I prefer (yet, lol)...at any cost!
    Of course if I didn't have to pay for it, and money no object, there would be many cars I prefer, but none under double the cost of my car.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  4. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    #29 Evo X, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Appreciate everyone’s input so far. My older brother went from his 458 to Huracan Evo and loves it. Maybe I’ll give that a shot. I’ve had short stints driving Performante, F12, 812. Perf had theater down pat, Spyder variant even more so. F12 I was not a fan of. Felt huge. 812 engine was godly and car felt much smaller because of the rear axle steering. Aventador is a boat. No interest. I’ve already owned GT3 and have a lot of experience with GT3RS and GT2RS since I work for Porsche.

There really isn’t anything I’ve driven that makes me feel like the 458 does. It just seems logical to get good money for it and move on. It’s what I’ve always done. But I smiled just as much driving it today as I did the day I took delivery. It fits me like a glove. Which is why I’m sure I’ll be scratching my head for a while on what to replace it with.

I’m not like most Ferrari owners. Can’t just buy a Pista or 812 like it’s no big deal. That’s a massive jump for me financially.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Performante or Speciale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy, veilstylez, Coincid and 2 others like this.
  6. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    +1 get the Performante. It is super special. Or maybe dress up your 458 a little with an exhaust some carbonupgrades?

dustman likes this.
  7. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The chase of looking for something that makes you feel similar could be a lot of fun, especially knowing that you could always come back to a 458.

If you have a bit of wanderlust, it’s a win - win. You will either find something better or you will eventually know that the 458 was the right car for you.

Sounds like a great adventure in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

XselR8 likes this.
  8. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’m all over the map with this - f12 is tops, but I’m also thinking about a diff direction entirely, like a 720s, totally diff experience. Won’t sell the 458 either way, no replacing this car, unless a speciale with the exact same spec and exact same mods

Baitschev likes this.
  9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Stunning 458. Why not keep it?

Mikael-F360 and GT2goneF like this.
  10. F12 TdF

360 CS

997 GT3 RS 4.0

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Keep your 458, tell your friend to keep looking.
    Simple.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Selling my first 458 didn’t work. I bought another one. It’s just too special and imho will go down as one of the best designs and performance platforms that has ever come out of Maranello.

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    only if you are 6 foot and 2 inches MAX.

Oz-ATL and ferrarifam like this.
  14. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    i would suggest you delay the sale until you have test drove many other options, whether the v12's, or others listed above and more. If you find one that clicks and within your budget, if not, then keep it. then you have your decision.
    you can always sell it to your friend at future time or any of many potential buyers, as you can see everyone loves a 458.

Mikael-F360, up4speed and ferrarifam like this.
  15. JAhmed

JAhmed Rookie

Nov 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jibran
    Whatever you do, don't delay the sale.

rob5819 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm 181 75 kg and fit poorly. For a fit that properly allows you to enjoy it, I'd say 172-175 cm depending on proportions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IloveGT likes this.
  17. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I agree I would keep the 458 and look for something else.

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think 488 is an upgrade from a 458 if i was gonna stick to a 458 it would be a speciale

scott61, Bmwatts, Viperjoe and 2 others like this.
  19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hahaha are you the friend buying it?

20. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Yes, he is. Lmao. Just came and grabbed it outta my driveway 5 mins ago.

21. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    Funny this thread popped up. I'm debating the same thing. I just sold my 458, 2 weeks ago, and now am looking for something else. Funny a dealer today asked me what car is better than a 458 for $200k or less. This is why we have that issue. I would consider a 488 but would need mods to add more noise.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FYI - the mods do not fix the inherent problem with the Cali engine. So if that is critically important to you, dont waste the time/money.
    Performante/Evo is a wonderful upgrade for the discerning aficionados.

Coincid likes this.
  23. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    Sorry Cali engine? You lost me.

24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Would love to own one here in the mountains of NC/TN border. I’d have a shot at fitting in the coupe.

But we don’t, I don’t know about a coupe long term, and its truly a Point A to Point A car, unlike a Ferrari.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The 488 engine apparently is the same as Cali, according to reviews. I didnt know that before.