California T Gear Change Smoothness - Low Speed, startup | FerrariChat

California T Gear Change Smoothness - Low Speed, startup

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nopsled, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nopsled

Nopsled Rookie

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Abby
    Dear all - hope everyone is doing well! I recently purchased a California T, 2016, 31k odd miles ont he clock. Has warranty etc. - I am totally enjoying it - in fact I really felt a bit depressed driving my SOs SUV a few days in - the response, sound, feel is just so addictive - I did not think I would fall in love with this car :D .

Everything is fine, I just have noticed a couple of things and this experience is biased on driving my - 100% bullet proof Lexus, and 100% unreliable mini cooper - so thats where the perspective comes from.

- When the car (California T) starts up, there is a bunch of sounds, high pitched but low intensity whine, goes away after 2 minutes or so, the engines calms down soon but have seen 2-3 times the rev counter fluttering a bit - not significantly but have seen it happen, then it settles down too. Is this normal?

I ask as in the Lexus there was no rev counter "fluttering". I used have a horrendous mini cooper, the transmission went out in that one - hence it gives me a a little pause to see the "fluttering" - I used to see the fluttering in the mini cooper as well.

- When the car is used at low speeds, again once its just started up for the day, the initial gear changes especially 2-4 are a bit hesitant, as if the car does not know where to be, once its in 6 or 7 its fine, but the initial changes are a bit "jerk"y. Is this normal?

I ask because in the mini I used to have the gear changes were also very "jerk"y and the Lexus was just smooth.

Thanks again folks! I appreciate the advice here.

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My Cali T does not resemble the issues you describe. Most disturbing issue is the gear change hesitation. The DCT shifting is extremely precise, very fast and very smooth. Auto or Manual shifting. You mentioned warranty I would have it looked at ASAP.
    Steve

whatheheck, tomc and Nopsled like this.
  3. Nopsled

Nopsled Rookie

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Abby
    Got it - will schedule a check up Steve! Thank you very much.

4. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Yes, worth checking, a tell tale sign of a gearbox issue is an inability to select all odd or all even gears

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nopsled likes this.
  5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have only used the Auto mode in heavy traffic, but the times I have turned it on it has upshifted so quickly, it's hard to judge the car at all. I would suggest taking a little time with little traffic around to try shifting with the paddles -- hit the Auto button to turn it off, then pull the right panel to upshift and the left one to downshift. Try to shift around 3500-4,000 rpm at first, and don't let the revs get much below 2500 or so. That will give you some idea how the gearbox is functioning, and it should drive smoothly for you. I think the Auto program can get a little confused depending on whether you are stepping on the accelerator aggressively or feathering it, it's really nothing like driving an automatic transmission in something like a Lexus, where you are probably barely conscious of the car shifting at all.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can't add much to the good advice above. I get a whine upon start up if it's not been run for a week or longer. Goes away once engine has been warned up and after a few high RPM runs...T

Nopsled likes this.
  7. Nopsled

Nopsled Rookie

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Abby
    Thank you all - much appreciated!

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nopsled likes this.
  9. Nopsled

Nopsled Rookie

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Abby
    I think it is probably the original one - never saw a record of it being changed actually. Car is 2016 - so probably quite old.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is time for a change anyway then. Get one of these. Best and strongest AGM on the market.

https://braillebattery.com/products/b10049-1

Is it the magic fix? Maybe, but it's worth a try and your battery is in need of a change anyway.

11. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a ‘13 Cali-30, not the T, but a few of your issues sound familiar. After starting for the first time of the day I get several fluctuations in revs during the ‘warm-up’ idle at 1300 rpm, until it drops down to normal idle, about 45 seconds to a minute later. When I first drive away I still get a few lurches in 1st and 2nd gear. This goes away in a few minutes as the engine warms up further. The thing that I find most bothersome is that the transmission can be quite jerky when shifting at lower, constant speeds and lower rpm, or when reapplying power after coasting for a few seconds. Under strong acceleration shifts are smooth, quick and crisp. The gearbox just isn’t designed for normal, around town driving.

12. Yvan Bergeron

Yvan Bergeron Rookie

Mar 9, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Yvan Bergeron (Boucherville)
    I had à similar issue with my Cal. T 2015 and It was the transmission temperature sensor ($12k to replace)
    Had It checked.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant FerrariChat

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is simply not true. That Getrag unit is very much designed for everyday driving around town. It is thevsame basic unit which is used in all the other dct Ferraris and countless other brands. There is an issue if it is not smooth. Could be a sensor, mechanical, TCU, or voltage related.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Nopsled

Nopsled Rookie

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Abby
    Thanks folks! Very helpful - I have not been able yet to take the car in for a checkup, the dealer and I'll mention, Ferrari of San Antonio have been very friendly, no trying to push back etc. - What Bill Phillips mentioned is 100% my experience. Funnily enough now, I have gotten "used to" things. I drive possibly 5-10 miles a day just to get out of the house and get my "exhaust noise" fix :) - I have now taken to letting the car idle for about 5 minutes or so, the engine temperature goes to about 130/140, and once I start driving in the next minute its at 180 - and then I can push the car. I will take the car in for a checkup since it has close to 2 years of warranty on it so no skin off my back except time. I'll update this thread with what I find - and thank you again to everyone for chipping in with your experiences.