430 - DIY: F430 MAF / Mass Air Flow Sensor / Meter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 DIY: F430 MAF / Mass Air Flow Sensor / Meter

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes but if one were to google "torx bits" invariably the overwhelming majority of results would be the "standard" (i.e. massively more commonly-used) 6-point non-security bit. Googling "five point star bits" yields the proper results the first time. ;)

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I must admit i have never counted the points.

3. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Naturally, but you wrote that the five-point is not a Torx, which it is.
    People can get confused when reading that, as Torx TS is the correct name - even if you would like to call it "five point star bit". ;)

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Correct! The bits look like this. They need to have 5 points and a hole in the middle because the Torx screws have a pin in the middle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was able to order from the same vendor on eBay.

Sent from my Galaxy

f355spider likes this.
  6. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    From the Driven to Drive UK retailer selling the MAF inserts... “sorry for insurance purposes we took as business decision many years ago to not ship to the USA / CAN as the loading on our commercial insurance is just to much to justify it.”

Has anyone found a supplier of the genuine Bosch MAF inserts that will ship to the U.S.? The eBay sellers mentioned here seem to be out of stock or unavailable entirely.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I got a message form the vendor through eBay informing me of the same, asking how i managed to process the transaction since they do not ship to USA.

8. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    That’s really annoying.. Was hoping to get them for my annual coming up.

SCKOMS likes this.
  9. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Hey anyone else noticed that there are two different versions (beyond R&L) of the MAF connecting tube? Every picture I see online has the crankcase vapor hose connect with the typical press-on adapter type. On mine the MAF connector has a square opening where big spring clip and plastic rectangle bolts onto the side.

All F430 parts list show the "hose only type" and not the older (05-07?) style connecting tubes. Looking closely at the first pic it has the same style as mine where the vapor hose it shrink bonded to the rectangle that has a secure nut to hold it into the MAF connector opening.

Attached Files:

• maf.jpg
      maf.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    Daryl Zernick likes this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

My scud is like that.

11. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Anyone know the part numbers for the bolt on vapor lines? (not clip on tube)

12. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Sorry I meant the part number for the connecting tube that allows the bolt on vapor lines. If someone happens to have the PN for the vapor lines themselves that could help future members.

I think I found the MAF connector PNs: 20595 is the LH connecting tube for sure. Then from pictures the 458 tube would work for the RH connecting tube 247256.

13. vmule

vmule Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    Funny enough a lot of other brands and way cheaper car use the same MAF sensor

All these MAF assembly seem to have F 00C 2G2 044 inside.

BOSCH 0 281 002 309
    ALVADI AL20023437
    ALFA ROMEO 0000046559804
    ALFA ROMEO 46559804
    ALFA ROMEO 55193048
    ALFA ROMEO 60816137
    DELPHI AF10080-12B1
    EAN 3165143202715
    EBERSPÄCHER 90.004.02
    EBERSPÄCHER 90.065.01
    FACET 10.1155
    FIAT 60816137
    FIAT 55193048
    FIAT 46559804
    FIAT 0000060816137
    HELLA 8ET 009 142-671
    HUECO 138367
    LANCIA 46559804
    MAPCO 42001
    METZGER 0891050
    MTE-THOMSON 7159
    PIERBURG 7.22701.05.0
    PININFARINA 465598040
    QUINTON HAZELL QM653
    VDO A2C59513181
    VEMO 24-72-0003
    VEMO V24-72-0003

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I see that the crankcase vent on the 430 was moved from the throttle body on the 360 to the tube (pn# 272872) connecting the MAF and throttle body. If the diameters are the same, the 430 tube could be used to convert a 360 throttle body from the oh-so-expensive $1700 unique version to the run-of-the-mill Porsche version that's otherwise exactly the same (about $150). While not OEM, it could be an intelligent "upgrade" for those that need a new set of throttle bodies (you usually can't just change one).

15. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    catdog and whatheheck like this.
  16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  17. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Hopefully someone knows where to find some ..good thread

18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ali express is notoriously famous for sending horrendously cheap knockoff items nowhere near in quality to what they portray with stolen photos (if lawsuits over straight up stolen automotive designs in China are unsuccessful, there's no recourse with them either). I hope that's not the case, but experience leans me the other direction.

(For the record, it doesnt say OEM Bosch anywhere.....just has the part number and the word "original"....which could easily mean "we made our own original version that fits where this one does"....CCP logic)

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    So could one buy these, retrieve the sensors and install them into the Ferrari assembly?

Sent from my Galaxy

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, they should work. The different housings are car/engine-specific but if the cartridges inside are identical, they should work the as intended in your existing housings. The wire in the cartridge is chosen for the way it responds to the mass of air flowing past it. In operation, the wire is heated by applying a constant voltage. As the temperature increases, so does the wire’s electrical resistance. This change varies the current in the circuit according to Ohm's law. Air flowing past the wire cools it, lowering the resistance, in turn increasing the current and temperature of the wire until it reaches equilibrium again. The current change is proportional to the mass of air flowing across the wire. And denser air will remove more heat, which is perfect, because the amount of fuel needed to burn efficiently is dependent on mass, not volume. So the wire’s characteristics determine the signal sent to the ECU. If the cartridge is the same, it should work the same as the one in your car now.

But in manufacturing, you can’t just stick any wire into the cartridge. It has to be carefully chosen and QC’d to ensure it has the right heat/cool-resistance curve so the signal it produces is matched to the ECU’s mapping to fuel injected into the combustion chambers. This is why getting a genuine part is important.

So, if you can get any of these other parts with the same OEM Bosch cartridge inside, you should be able to just remove the cartridge and use that with your existing housing, so long as it’s clean and not damaged or cracked. Based on how it works, you can see why they are sensitive to contamination, as that changes their heat/cool-resistance curve. So take care not to touch them!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

vmule and armedferret like this.
  21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #46 f355spider, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Guaranteed those are knock off. Nothing on that site is going to be authentic. I would recommend not risking your car with those. China is incredible at making products that "look" similar...but perform? Not so much.

22. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

best explanation I have ever read regarding how a MAF sensor works. Thank you!

SpencerMarks and Need4Spd like this.
  23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    China even makes fake Porsche packaging for their knock off PORSCHE gas caps.

Of course includes around 10% misspellings to somehow get around the law.

Daryl Zernick and armedferret like this.
  24. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Top Gear, Series 18, Episode 2.

James May discusses the fact that Chinese companies make "exact" replicas of Honda motorcycles, but they change the name on the tank to Hongda to get around the laws.

Not that the laws really do much anyway. The information starts around 3:30 to about 6 minutes.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-and-james-china-part-12-series-18-episode-2

Sj_engr and Daryl Zernick like this.
  25. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Coming back to this thread once again. It seems these damn MAFs are almost impossible to find from a genuine source inside the United States. Having said that I’ve found a .uk site that does offer shipping of authentic Bosch MAFS. Total cost conversion for 2 plus shipping is approximately 306 USD. Still cheaper than OEM Ferrari parts.

Link below
    https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/bosch-1150747.html

Need4Spd, whatheheck and armedferret like this.