My first Ferrari, but which one? | FerrariChat

My first Ferrari, but which one?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by adler, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which Ferrari to choose?

1. California

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. California T

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. F430 manual

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. 458

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. 488 GTB

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. F12

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. adler

adler Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Hi all!

This is my first post here. It might sound like a silly one for all the seasoned Ferrari owners like yourselves, but I have got to do it anyway.

I am going to add my first Ferrari to my humble car collection during the coming winter season, but the problem is, that I don‘t know which one. Please see below the list of cars, and their approximate prices, I have already inspected, test-driven and am considering:

- F430 manual, 130.000EUR
    - 458, 150.000EUR
    - F12, 160.000EUR
    - California, 100.000EUR
    - California T, 130.000EUR
    - 488 GTB, 170.000EUR

So, I have taken them all for a drive, and I like them equally. They are pretty different cars, all with their strong and weak points.

What I want is, that I would have a great Ferrari experience without too many reliability problems, eye-watering bills every now and again, relatively easy daily driving (although it will be used just once or twice a week on the Alpine roads), and most importantly, that tingling sensation everytime I take it out.

I am not after huge appreaciation, but I would appreaciate if it didn‘t depreaciate too much, too fast.

What would be your pick out of those 6 cars listed above, considering my needs? What is the best value for the money?

Thank you so much for your input!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - read about some of the models in their sections and then tell us about your current collection as it may be that would give a hint as to what might sit best

And then tell us which you preferred and why

If it was just one it might be a 458 else the 430 depending on which gearbox gives a good contrast

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very hard question, but I do find it difficult to relate to the above comment. After driving all 6 you like them all 'equally'? Surely one or two spoke louder to you than the others.

BJK likes this.
  4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Why buy an 8 when you can have a 12.

LVP488 likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    812 SUPERFAST !!!!

Thank you

6. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Reading what you expect from your new car, it sounds like you should stay away from Ferrari ;-)

jimpo1, Dewinator and russellmcg like this.
  7. adler

adler Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Thanks a lot for your inputs!

I'm not really a sportscar type of fellow, but I just want a Ferrari. That's why making the decision is a tad on the difficult side, and that's why I've decided to ask for your help.

Maybe the California T is the easiest option, and comes with an added bonus of roofless motoring, if so desired.

After all, this is a positive problem to have, so no worries. Thanks anyway!

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You’re not a sportscar type of fellow?
    And you want a Ferrari that is easy daily driving, reliable, and won’t depreciate too much??
    Furthermore, you like a manual 430 the same as a Cali-T???

I am so confused there is no real advice I can give.

read33, Dewinator, Themaven and 3 others like this.
  9. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    respectfully; what I'm hearing is you'd like a Ferrari for the "experience", but you don't really want that experience to include all of the things that the Ferrari experience is usually about. (ie: you're not a "sportscar type of fellow", none of the cars you've driven strike you as particularly special in that "I've got to have it" sort of way, you don't want depreciation and you want reliability without frequent / large service invoices.) So what I'm reading, between the lines, is that you'd like to tell your friends you have a Ferrari. ;-) I mean, am I on the right track here? If not, please help us understand what it is about Ferrari ownership that appeals to you? That might help inform which of these cars best suits you.

paulchua and russellmcg like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    He liked all 6 cars equally, hence the conundrum.
    Hi Adler,

I was hoping to ask you about what musical genre should be my favorite? Not being into music, I want to get your input. Listened to Classical, Rap, Pop, Country, R&B, and Jazz.

I found I liked them all equally. What I want is a great musical experience without the possibility of a song I don't like. I also don't want to have to subscribe to a music service.

Perhaps Pop is the way to go? No worries, after all, not being into music and trying to find what genre I should choose is a positive problem, so no worries. Thanks anyway!

JP365, DavidA, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  11. adler

adler Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    I had no idea the Famiglia is this welcoming to a new member.

I am sorry I have bothered you, will buy one of the above-mentioned cars and enjoy it myself every now and again.

Thank you so much.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    We are not a Famiglia! We are a large and random bunch of people on a public forum that anyone can contribute to, and often does. Some of us own Ferraris, some of us don't, some of us know a lot, some of us don't. Most of us have never met each other and never will. we do not consult each other on replies and do not have a single behaviour and we aren't a "we" either.

Some of the cars on your list are hardcore involved drive experiences, some are more easy-going more every day. Owning a F12 is very different to owning a Cali T is very different to owning a gated 430. I own the latter and love it. I like the Cali also, but would own it for a different reason and for different drives and days.

It is strange to like all of them equally, like saying you have been to the best steak, sushi, Cantonese, Lyonnais, Tuscan and Vietnamese restaurants and like them equally and which is best.

Ask 10 people here and they would give you 10 answers, I already bought mine, gated 430, second on your list for me if I didn't have a gated 430 would be a 458. To add to my 430 from your price range I would take a gated 575 which I also have (but not on your list); from your list a Cali but a late 30 HS with good options.

488 and F12 on a depreciation curve, gated 430 arguably not, and depreciation may be your biggest cost. 488 and F12 much faster than all the others.

italiafan, Nospinzone and paulchua like this.
  13. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I agree with what he said. You are going to get every combination of answers with this.

I own a Ferrari California T with the handling package because I wanted a car I could drive every day and would be mechanically solid. I ended up getting a 2017 with an extended warranty. I love my car, but it is a WAY different experience from a gated 360. I also bought this car for a reason, I wanted a daily driver I could put the top down and enjoy.

In the end, no one will be able to give you the right answer because that answer will be personal to you.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Nospinzone, Themaven and paulchua like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sorry, my apologies.

Let's start again.

I like sushi, a hero, curry, pizza, foie gras, and a hamburger equally.

What should I have for lunch? Can you guys help me out?

The point is the cars vary so much in personality and function that asking us is akin to asking what kind of girl/guy you should date/marry? How should we know?! Especially when you tell us you went on 6 dates and found all prospects equally good.

NbyNW and russellmcg like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To recap. You're not a sports car person that wants:
    1. The Ferrari tingling experience.
    2. Somewhat reliable
    3. Appreciation
    Only one choice with your list of 6 that can somewhat check all boxes.
    F430 6 Speed.

Not the Cali/Cali T (unless manual) - because Roma and Maserati stigma, many don't like the butt. (I like it though)
    Not the F12 - because 812 (Not always the case (see 512M) - refreshed models usually do better then base)
    Not the 488 - because of F8 (F8 is objectively an updated 488)

It could be argued the 458 could be up there, though I would agree the Special would be the better candidate for possible appreciation.

Themaven and Nospinzone like this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Get a California would be my biased advice.
    Reliable by Ferrari standards, and you can go from coupe to convertible in 14 secs.

Prices are great for the performance you get, and so it is an easy entry point into the F world, and a
    lot of depreciation is baked in.

All together, owning a California a great way to test the F waters and see if it the Ferrari lifestyle
    is for you. I think it is also a great entry point to test your local dealer/independent service options,
    because in the long run, that relationship is IMO perhaps the most important in terms of enjoyment
    of your F car, unless you are exceedingly handy and plan to wrench on it yourself.

As for the California "stigma", I can't really say anything about that. Seems to be more of an
    online phenomenon than anything else. Spend more time driving your Ferrariand less time surfing the web,
    and you'll be fine. ;)

Best of luck whatever you decide. There are no wrong decisions in Ferrari ownership...T

17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    a newer one?

paulchua likes this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    412 three pedal (five speed manual)

paulchua likes this.
  20. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You should have them ALL in a taco.

sjd

jag-oo-r, paulchua and russellmcg like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You’re welcome!
    Glad we could be of help.
    Check back in for further advice...I recommend a Bentley...there is a British cars section on FChat.

paulchua likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Brilliant summation.
    Though, I would qualify...ask 10 people here and you will receive 13 different answers depending upon time of day, mood and blood alcohol levels...:D

Themaven, paulchua and Nospinzone like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Indeed!! Just like this: :)

24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'm sorry the responses you received were not to your liking.
    It is interesting, to me, from a purely voyeur-esque perspective, that on so many enthusiast forums people complain that as newcomers they cannot get anyone to respond to their posts. I've even experienced that a little bit here, where I post a new topic looking for some input and I get crickets. Much of this seems to have to do with getting the right subject-line/title for the thread. The title of the thread needs to appeal to the people who the thread is intended for.

With this as context, perhaps we may examine your thread?
    Title: "My first Ferrari: But which one?" To me, this is a GREAT subject line/title. Most of us on this forum have either experienced this thrill, or hope to one day, so we can ALL relate. So you did it: your thread is a MAGNET for most readers. Well Done!
    Imagine our disappointment then, when you list some really great cars which you've driven, yet show zero passion over ANY of them. Then you go on to tell us that you really aren't a sports-car enthusiast. BOOM: You've lost us. We're all scratching our heads, wondering what just happened and when "clickbait" became a thing on F-Chat? So we try to make sense of it by examining it in the context we know and understand.

I think most of us have been helpful, in our own way, asking for you to examine your motivations a little so we can help you more.

If you're unwilling to participate in your own conversation, well then, I'm afraid it will be very difficult for us to help you. This is a shame, really, because you won't find a group with more enthusiasm for the marque, and more warm welcomes to new owners (as well as to the newly-aspiring-to-be-owners).

25. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I drove an F430 at a track event and loved it. When it came time for me to buy my first Ferrari, I considered the 430 but went with a California T instead. The main reasons were the availability of a factory warranty, the included maintenance, the retractable hardtop, and the comfortable seats. I also think it's very attractive.

If I were you, I'd get the F12.

LVP488, paulchua and russellmcg like this.