FCA AL Chapter Event at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway - Saturday Nov 7 | FerrariChat

FCA AL Chapter Event at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway - Saturday Nov 7

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Drew Altemara, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    We sent this out to the AL FCA Chapter the other day and it should have gone out to the SE Region by now. Thought I would post here in case some of you missed it.

Ferrari and Friends Track Event - Saturday November 7, 2020

Dear FCA Member,

The Alabama Chapter of FCA is sponsoring a track event at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway (TGPR) talladegagp.com on Saturday November 7. You will be happy to know this is the off week for Alabama football. TGPR is a 1.4 mile, medium speed track located just outside Anniston, AL. Several you will remember our prior outings there hosted by Mike Charness and Tommy Cosgrove.

We will run in three groups, novice, intermediate and advanced. The novice group will be limited to top speed and passing zones. We expect to have instructors and experienced track drivers available to assist you in “mastering the line” and to provide coaching to help you improve your driving skills. There will be 8 to 10 cars per group; max 30 cars.

As this is an FCA event, all participants must sign the appropriate FCA and TGPR waivers and Tech Inspection:

They are 1) FCA Liability Waiver, 2) FCA Covid-19 Waiver, 3) Parental Consent for Minor Passenger Waiver (if applicable) and have the FCA tech inspection completed within 30 days of the event. Additionally, TGPR will ask you to sign a general liability waiver and covid-19 waiver upon entering the gate.

Unfortunately, TGPR/FCA does not allow convertibles unless there is a protective rollbar/cage. Spyder models can run with roof in place. Cars with retractable tops can run with tops up/in place. Helmets are required and must be SNELL SA 2010 or later. Passengers are required to have helmets as well.

There will be a mandatory driver meeting and check-in in the morning. An approximant agenda is:

8:15 AM — Track opens (CST))

8:30 AM — Registration and collection of tech inspection sheets

9:00 AM — Safety/Orientation meeting - you MUST attend to drive

(or ride) on the track! Gate will be locked at 9:00AM.

9:30 AM — Grid Inspection and orientation runs

10:00 AM — Begin with Green group, Yellow group, Red Group

12:00 AM – Lunch break

1:00 PM – Gates locked and begin rotation

4:30 PM — We go home happy and safe

The cost of the program is $259 for FCA member and $279 for non-members plus a $5 per person track entry fee.

This is not a timed event, not a race, and not considered a speed event, but is rather a driver's education/skills improvement activity, it is up to you to determine if you need or want any special insurance/liability coverage and take care of obtaining it prior to the event.

Attached please find the registration form which must be filled out and sent with your check to the address provided. I can send a copy of the FCA tech inspection form and copies of the waivers you will be required to sign at the track if you call or email me.

For those traveling we recommend Hotel Finial in Anniston, AL www.hotelfinial.com or 256.236.0503 on Friday night. There are no dinner plans but I’m sure we can get a group together, practice social distancing, and find a place.

If you have any questions, please call me.

Regards,

Drew Altemara

FCA Alabama Chapter President

[email protected]

Attached Files:

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Glad we are back!

dbdreams likes this.
  3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Send me your money! :) Starting to fill up. You were a good catalyst on this one. Drew

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hold my spot! Check is going out tomorrow. Its sitting on my desk at work.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Wanted to give this another bump. Looks like we are going to have a good track event with plenty of track time and instructors if needed.

Registration is by mail as FCA does not have an electronic site to do this. As such, with the mail being very very slow due to election mail volume wanted to make sure Ferrari owners got a chance to participate.

If you are interested, I encourage you to register and send your payment in by this weekend so we have spots for the Ferraris that want to run.

Drew

7. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I am looking forward to this and really excited!

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You should

You got this all going!

dbdreams likes this.
  9. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    New helmets came today, I'm ready!

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    And thank you both David and Tommy for getting this going. I think its going to be a good event. I know I'm learning learning a lot.

Though I'll function as chief administrator to try to keep everyone happy, Jim Rodgers of the MB club will be running the drivers meeting and will have instructors available. I'm going to send out an agenda of how the first part of the day will go.

Basically: registration check/waiver signatures, grid and helmet inspection, drivers meeting, start running with advanced group first, while we have classroom instruction for novice group (or anyone that cares to participate), intermediate group, novice group.

Come join us. We have room for a couple more Ferraris. Drew

11. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    The guy I bought my car from in August has expressed interest in attending with his car but he has a 2019 Z06 Corvette. Are the spots available or is it just for Ferrari and Mercedes?

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I dont think TigPrix even allows them. Didnt in the past.

dbdreams likes this.
  13. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Unfortunately not: Ferrari, MB and Mountain Brook Driving Club Members only. Drew

dbdreams likes this.
  14. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    How many Ferrari guys are gonna be there and how many are staying at the Hotel Finial on Friday night?

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    At this time we have eight Ferrari participating. I would guess maybe ten (Ferrari and Friends) staying at the hotel; half of which are Ferrari; but I have no way to know. The Birmingham guys can easily make it to the track on time with out a hotel.

dbdreams likes this.
  16. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Note to Participants and Friends:

Greeting participants,

Wanted to get a note out on what to expect when you arrive at the track.

SOME GUIDELINES:

We will need to practice social distancing at the track as best as possible. That means wearing masks when in close proximity to others and at the drivers meeting. On the track you are free to remove your mask. However if a non-family participant/instructor is riding with you both will be required to have masks.

Please bring masks, hand sanitizer and wipes. We will have a limited supply available at the track.

There is no air or water at the track. Please adjust tire pressure before you enter. Also please bring along a supply of bottled water.

AGENDA OUTLINE:

You need to enter the track between 7:00 and 8:45. 9:00 is the mandatory drivers meeting. Entry gate will lock at 8:45

When approaching the gate, TGPR will ask you to sign their entry waiver and Covid-19 waiver. FCA will have a person (probably my wife) at the gate also requiring you to sign the Ferrari Club of America event waiver and Covic-19 waiver. After parking along pit lane, you will need to go thru grid inspection. We will have a station (chair and small table) set up near the font of pit lane where you can bring your car so we can do a grid and helmet inspection. You will need to bring your completed tech inspection form with you for collection. We will place a colored dot on the left side of your windshield indicating your run group and a colored dot for your helmet. The pit out flagger will not let you on the track unless he verifies. We should have room to adjust run groups as we go through the day if someone wants to move up or down.

The mandatory driver’s meeting is outside at 9:00 AM in front of the classroom building. Jim Roberts of MB club will be conducting this for us. After the drivers meeting, we will begin the run groups starting with advance, then intermediate then novice; 20 minutes each. While the advanced group is on the track, Jim will do instruction in the classroom building for the novice group. Intermediate group welcome as well.

We will run two complete cycles in the morning then break for a one-hour lunch period: roughly 12 to 1:00. The closest place for lunch in Munford is Big Daddy’s BBQ 5 minutes down the road. It looks OK but no promises; the wings are supposedly good. You will pass it on the way to the track if coming from I – 20. Menu is here: https://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=5203194 You can travel the 10 miles back to Anniston but frankly I would be worried you may not make it back in time. Track will go hot at 1 PM which means no one in our out till we are done.

We will have a 5 minute intermission roughly at 2 PM for those that want to leave the track early.

We will run until approximately 4 or 4:30 and leave happy and safe.

Attached is an overhead picture of the track.

If any questions please contact me at 205.657.3503

Drew Altemara

17. 360girliegirl

360girliegirl Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, AL
    Full Name:
    Jennifer Burnett
    Is anyone else bringing their children? David and I will have our 11 year old daughter. Just wondering if their will be other kids?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Damn.

You have been waiting a very long time for tomorrow. I hate that for you.

dbdreams likes this.
  20. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    Yeah, it sux but we are still coming to hang out.
    Sent from my SM-N986U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    There may be a few. Just guessing.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. ItsCarbonFiber

ItsCarbonFiber Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Clay
    Looks like a fun turnout. I remember that Speciale used to be in Kansas City - is it now in Birmingham or AL?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mississippi now

ItsCarbonFiber likes this.