1986 328 loud engine clicking sound and stalling. Diagnosis? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1986 328 loud engine clicking sound and stalling. Diagnosis?

Discussion in '308/328' started by sahn44, Oct 21, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Unless I missed reading it, I'm surprised no one has suggested the unlit propane torch test to detect vacuum leaks. Follow every line under vacuum and where the intake manifold bolts to the engine. If a leak is causing the low idle, the engine speed will increase when propane enters the intake system at the leak.

2. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The symptoms also sound like an ECU issue(s)... You can pull both ECU's to have them tested/checked to see if they're your problem. I think these guys charge around $100 diagnostic fee for each unit.

https://www.ecudoctors.com/#

Saabguy likes this.
  3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    #53 Iain, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Only one ECU on a 328.

If you are looking for air leaks there is a long vac hose goes from the left side of the plenum to the ECU in the trunk.

If that goes it's a double whammy , you get unmetered air entering the system and you get no vacuum advance on the engine as the revs rise

That line disappears into the wheel well and goes above the arch liner into the trunk. You need to remove the arch liner to get to it though you should be able to check if its leaking without removing that.

I had a hole in that one once , screwed everything up, even more so because someone adjusted the mixture to compensate.....

Took a while to find it.

Another possibility with that is that the diaphragm in the ignition box fails. Effect is the same.

4. sahn44

sahn44 Rookie

Aug 29, 2019
    New York City
    Full Name:
    M. Sahn
    I had read in other place about using can of starter fluid spray. Might give it a try.

Cool. I did notice that hose disappearing and was wondering what it does. Another possible culprit..

I was thinking about how to get more evidence that it's a vacuum leak, which means unmetered air is getting in, so less fuel relative to air, leaner mixture, slow idle. That all seems pretty plausible since when I give it gas with the throttle at higher RPMs, everything seems fine. If it's a vacuum leak, just a little bit of extra, un-metered air would be enough to throw off the idle due to overly lean mixture, but as throttle is opened up, that little bit of extra air becomes negligible/unnoticeable to how its running. That's my theory, at least.

So, to test this theory, what if I open the airbox again, remove the filter and, as its idling, press down a little bit on the metering plate to "simulate" more air and cause some extra fuel to get added. I was thinking that if I pressed that a bit, and the idle rose to where it should be (maybe a bit higher due to a little bit more air now getting by), and idled well and steady, then that would be pretty good evidence that the issue is, indeed, extra unmetered air getting in somewhere. If that didn't happen and it continues running low/poorly, then it would point to something other than a vacuum leak. Does this make any sense to try? Or bad idea to be touching that plate?

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    You can touch the plate, but be gentle, it has a high lever effect on the fuel distributor plunger. But you are technically on the right track, if you push the plate ever so slightly down, the car would probably stall due to the mixture being too rich, if not that would suggest a vacuum leak.

There are two small vacuum hoses: One goes to the air injection valve which you know about, and one that goes to spark ECU (there is a second ECU for the fuel injection system, so there are two ECU's on your car). Then there is in effect a vacuum line to the Auxiliary Air Valve unit. It is possible to get air leaks at the injection manifold plenum gaskets, they are the thick rubber items. I am leery of propane or starter fluid being sprayed around with a high voltage ignition system near by. I would think you would need a pretty big leak for this type of procedure to work. Shops would use a smoke machine.

You can also get air leaks in the exhaust system, such that air get sucked into the exhaust and the Oxygen sensor will read too lean, and richen the mixture to compensate. Take a close look at the air injection rails where they connect to the exhaust manifolds, and the test port pipes also which connect into the tops of the exhaust manifolds, they tend to corrode and can leak.

But I am still not sure your AAV is ok, it could be sticking and not giving its full range of movement, and sticking is a known issue in these cars.

I was perplexed that your screwing the air bypass valve did not have any effect. Still thinking about what that might mean. When did you last replace your O2 sensor? For greater certainty did you check a spark plug gap? If it is wet, carbonized, or shows signs of lean running, this would be helpful information.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    What is the failure mode of the AAV that would cause this? If the AAV was stuck open then cold idle speed would be OK and warm speed would be too fast. If the AAV was stuck closed then cold idle would be low, but warm idle would be normal. If it was stuck in the middle then cold idle would be a bit low and warm idle would be a bit high. I don't see that any of these failure modes match the described symptoms of idle is always low.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Good question. I think various sensors are also measuring fuel mixture, and engine temperatures affect fuel metering and the fuel ecu responds to all the inputs. For example, the oxygen sensor would also be kicking in after warm up and sensing conflicting signals of a lean mixture that could trigger an inappropriate enrichment which could stall the car. Might be good to disconnect the O2 sensor and see what happens. The O2 sensor is not active at cold start up.

The cold start up fuel injector gets the car started, but once warmed the car is either too rich or lean to run properly. Given the car runs well at speed, this would be more likely if the car was running rich rather than lean. So my thinking is something is singalling and creating a too rich mixture.

Keep in mind we are trying to deal with simple test procedures to get some clues as to what could be the problem.

Although the check valve issue appears ruled out, I find it hard to believe that a 30 year old rubber diaphragm internally exposed to hot exhaust gas has not perished. Must be a very low milage car?

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    When the check valves went bad on my '87 GTS, there was no noticeable effect on the engine idle. When they failed they passed gas in both directions. Another time one rusted through and I could hear a change in the exhaust note but there was no change in engine idle.

9. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    This thread is certainly interesting and informative. I will just reiterate, as I noted a while back, that I had EXACTLY the same symptoms with my 308QV and it turned out to be an ignition issue. I have since learned that the 328 has only one ignition ECU and two sensors. Still, has the ignition timing been checked? Even though I have two new ones in reserve, I never considered the check valves and also question whether they would cause the symptoms described. I agree it would be a good idea to disconnect the oxygen sensor, which is easy to do, and see the results.

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    There us no way of adjusting the ignition timing on a 328, all done in the ECU. The vac advance is the only thing that changes it.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

11. sahn44

sahn44 Rookie

Aug 29, 2019
    New York City
    Full Name:
    M. Sahn
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    I'm going to try the gentle push of the plate next to see if it reacts by running better or not. Will also look more closely at the injection rails. The test ports look very good. If pressing the plate doesn't help, will move to looking at a plug. Plugs were replaced in major a year ago so presume gapping is fine. I don't see any indication of O2 sensor being replaced in the 20 years of records I have.

I was thinking same thing. If it wasn't moving, stuck open or closed, it wouldn't cause the too-low cold and warm idle I see. If it has a leak, that could be an issue, but that's unrelated to whether it's opening/closing. For the record, i believe it is functioning ok.

It's 49k. One of the check valves was replaced 17 years ago. Other one may have been earlier than that. My little test of finger in the airbox hole seemed to confirm that system is working like a charm.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure check valves aren't the issue here as mine seem to work well, don't look rusted, etc, and don't think they could cause/explain this symptom. I'll put disconnecting O2 on my list now. So, what will I be looking for after I do that? If it doesn't play a role in startup, does it do anything during cold phase of idle when AAV is adding extra air? If it doesn't play a role in the cold phase, then that doesn't seem like a cause because I have the very low idle in both the cold and warm phase of idling.

Thanks so much everyone for the input. At the very least i'm learning so much about my car, which is really pretty fun and interesting knowing what every little component and hose is doing back there, though much more to learn. Thank god for those diagrams on the parts sites, too.

moysiuan likes this.
  12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes, there are no adjustments. With the ignition, it either is working or not. If not, it is coils, plugs, wires/extenders, caps, rotors and crank position sensors that need checking, and related wiring grounds and connections, in the extreme the ecu can fail but that does not seem common at all.

For the 328 (same for 3.2 Mondial), for those interested here is the instructions on how to test from the ignition ecu wiring connector, you have to dismantle the connector to get the probe access to the wires, and make sure you don't short any wires by accident. Even if you don't do the tests, it gives you a sense of all the interacting components in the car's core systems.

I have done these tests, the connector dismantle is easy, and it is all very helpful to rule things out. I also attach the procedures to test at the fuel injection ecu as well. Doing all these tests is what guided me to the need the rebuild the fuel injection distribution unit, by ruling out the many other possibilities along with all the various inspection related things being discussed in the thread.

I am by no means a pro/expert, just a motivated home hobby mechanic who has and will tackle pretty much anything - I sure have learned a lot how the car functions by doing all these diagnostics. If nothing else it takes the mystery out of things and makes you respect the original design and engineering, and also respect the mechanics who work on these cars as while there is nothing exotic there is time and curiosity required to solve for these cars needs.

http://ferrari.cdyn.com/carl_rose_docs/Ferrari 328%2

https://ferrari.cdyn.com/carl_rose_docs/Ferrari 328 Fuel Injection ECU Testing.pdf

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The O2 sensor is not active until the car warms up a bit. At cold start there is the separate fuel injector that squirts fuel to get get things going (that is what is sticking out of the right side of the plenum on your car with the blue connector). Sometimes this injector does not shut off or dribbles and leaks, and you get over fueling. You could try disconnecting the wire connection, and see if it starts and runs any better. It is this injector, plus the AAV (and the computer and WUR) that gets the car going with an extra rich mixture. These cars in proper tune can run just fine with no O2 sensor, but the O2 sensor does add new information and allows the computer to optimize fueling and emissions as various throttle openings, and it also helps the computer compensate for something else out of adjustment. Once warmed up a bit, the O2 kicks in and the computer takes its signals and alters the mixture accordingly. It is not as quick a response system as in some modern cars, that is why some experience a minor surging at idle or while cruising as the computer is iterates the signals it receives. If your O2 sensor is original, it is probably carbonized and can give the wrong signals. If the plugs are new then that is not an issue, but if you take a look you might get a clue as to the fueling situation.

Yes, I am obsessed with the check valves. They rot out inside, not necessarily outside as the prior attached thread suggests. Your test seems to have ruled this out. Just surprised the old units are still working.

14. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Totally agree with the previous post. I previously suggested disconnecting the coldstart injector and oxygen sensor just to see if either seems to have an ameliorative effect.
    I realize there are no adjustments on the ignition ECUs. Although my sensors and the two Digiplex ECUs in my 308 tested okay on the bench, I am quite sure that it was an intermittent sensor or Digiplex issue that caused my problem. "Experts" have told me that they don't necessarily fail totally or all at once. My 308 has two boxes and I noticed erratic timing movement on one bank of cylinders, even though that bank was still "operating." A quick check with a timing light can rule this out. I ran new grounds to the boxes and cleaned all grounds and contacts to the coils as well. Of course it is possible that that's where my problem lay, but I tend to doubt it.
    Interesting information on the check valves. I've only owned my 308 for a little over a year but purchased two new check valves for insurance. I will install them soon.

moysiuan likes this.
  15. sahn44

sahn44 Rookie

Aug 29, 2019
    New York City
    Full Name:
    M. Sahn
    Still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. I've disconnected/reconnected the coldstart injector while its idling and there was zero impact. I also tried the test I mentioned before of pressing a bit on the metering plate while idling to see if that would trigger a bit of extra RPM, maybe signaling if there was a vacuum leak somewhere (ie, unmetered air getting in which needs some extra fuel to compensate). Generally that did not work and just richened things momentarily and making the engine close to stall. There was a brief moment when I tried that while it was in high idle right after startup and the air injection was on and sucking, tapping the metering plate did result in higher RPM. But, that was just one time.

The O2 sensor was really buried under the airbox and too hard to get to to disconnect, so I didn't do that. It also sounded like that doesn't really play a role during startup/idle anyways.

There have been a couple things i've noticed that just makes me more uncertain of what could be going on. When I start lately, it actually does start above 1,000RPM, maybe 1200 or so, which was really encouraging. The temps have come down here in NYC a bit since before, maybe that's related. But, the RPM drops really quickly, like after 10-20 seconds, which is way faster than it would before, and before the starting RPM was closer to 1500 I think. When it drops, it goes to 500-600 or so, still very low. I can turn the AC on and it drops maybe 70 RPM, but doesn't sound in danger of stalling like it had been. I still confirm that the air injection is either sucking away at the airbox hole or doing nothing at all, though last time I checked it was not sucking right after startup but came on some minutes later, which didn't seem right as I thought it should be on at startup.

So, long story short is that it's still a mystery to me, i've maybe ruled out some simple things, but i'm also reasonably confident I can drive the car carefully somewhere. I learned a ton already, but am going to take it to a pro next. It will be the first time getting serviced since I bought it a year ago and i've got a list of other little things I want checked out or advice on anyways. Will update this thread when I learn what's happened exactly. Stay tuned..

16. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Good luck. I'm anxious to hear the resolution.

17. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The idle droping in 20 seconds sounds about right, the internal heater in the Aav kicks in fairly quickly. Then the mixture is not correct, after the air valve closes. Since the car is idling a bit differently this go round it takes me back to the sticky aav theory. Still stumped why the idle adjustment air bypass screw had no effect, that should have had the effect of raising the idle. I would unscrew it by three quarters of a turn before starting the car, start it up and see what happens. It should make a difference, I can't see how it would have no effect, that is how the car idle is adjusted.

18. sahn44

sahn44 Rookie

Aug 29, 2019
    New York City
    Full Name:
    M. Sahn
    Actually, to be more precise, I'd say the first full turn, counterclockwise, has some effect, maybe an extra 100 or so RPM. Then, did as much as 3 more full turns and don't see any more idle increase. So, I've left it at one full turn more open. I agree it's weird to not have more effect. Should be equivalent to opening up the throttle a bit more which works fine to increase revs. Maybe still points to something with AAV hoses/valve as they're all connected.

19. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Ok, so if you turn the idle screw in until the rpm decreases at a steady rate, then pushing the throttle slightly, does the rpm rise at a steady rate while pushing more and more?

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Does it drop slowly over that whole 10-15 seconds, or does it drop suddenly like a switch (maybe in a second or two).

21. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I don't follow your logic. The AAV shouldn't have an impact on mixture, it uses metered air.

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    FYI, the idle air screw affects the fuel mixture through the entire range of the rpm band of the engine , whereas the throttle plate position does not affect mixture. That is why setting the correct mixture for emissions testing iterates the mixture screw on the fuel distributor with the air bypass screw, you adjust one, then the other until get both the correct emissions and idle speed. That is the dark arts part of these bosch systems!

Because your unscrewing the air screw had little effect, that would suggest leaning out the idle mixture had no effect, which suggests....maybe a very rich mixture further being tempered by the O2 sensor, computer, etc.? Not sure, maybe others can chime in on other causes of the air bypass screw not affecting things the way it would be expected to?

I know you are likely off to a mechanic to solve this, but maybe we get lucky with a few more ideas.

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The aav has no mixture effect, but the extra aav air and fuel from the cold start injector stop when the aav closes, and if the car is not idling properly after that start up phase, there is a fuel mixture problem, or some other problem but the air idle screw not giving the expected effect suggests a fuel mixture issue, probably too rich.

24. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Are you sure? That's not how I think it works. I don't think there is any link, mechanical or electric, between the AAV and the cold start injector.

25. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes, the cold start valve is only a thermally controlled switch with delay. If the engine is cold, the switch is closed and injects fuel for some time. I looked into it some time ago, and also verified by looking at the spray pattern.

Depending on engine temp as a starting point, the fuel spray is longer or shorter but it is also heated electrically to open up the switch after a few seconds. If this opening does not work, the engine would get too much fuel.

When the engine is warm, the switch opens also by the same mechanism (bi-metal contact or later by built-in electronics).

To sum it up, the switch opens by two things, the electric heater or the coolant temperature.

moysiuan likes this.