Questions on Black Ferrari 488 | FerrariChat

Questions on Black Ferrari 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Azzuro Blue, Nov 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Does Ferrari publish any production numbers by color? Black seems less common than I would expect. Have many Ferraris been clear wrapped? It would be especially helpful since black cars show the swirl marks and the tiniest stone chips. I have a wrapped McLaren and am amazed that it picks up dirt much less easily and has never shown any swirls or marks of any kind. It seems to also give the paint more depth.
    I have heard that clear wrapping a used car is not recommended. Any truth to that?

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    This year I had both my 2015 458 Spider (new to me in January 2020) and my 2014 Corvette (purchased new) wrapped in Expel Ultimate. I do agree that the paint looks deeper and glossier following the installation of the wrap. This is especially noticeable on the Corvette since I've had it from new and had years to live with it. I do not believe that a car being "used" has anything to do with successfully applying a wrap. I believe it has all to do with the condition of the paint and the preparation before installation. Both of my cars are "used" and the results were excellent. I cannot really speak to picking up dirt as neither car is a daily driver and both are cleaned usually after each drive. Neither car is black. The 458 is Rosso Corsa and the Corvette is Torch Red.

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    With black, putting XPEL on without having the car paint corrected would not be advised. My car is black and white, I had all the black parts paint corrected before putting XPEL on. I didn't correct the white because you cannot see any imperfections. Now that perfect black paint is locked under XPEL. And always covered in dirt because I don't wash my car, but it'll look good whenever I do!

4. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Does anyone have any idea how frequently 488s are wrapped? I never see it mentioned in ads but it seems like it would be a big selling point.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My last 4 Ferrari s have been Nero or Nero Daytona. All of mine have been completely wrapped after color correction. No swirls and very easy to take care of. I will be doing the same when my Nero Daytona F8 spider gets here. Black is the new red. :) I’m sure whoever is new owner of my 488 will appreciate the wrap when I sell her ~ 3 months from now. Best , Kirk.

MANDALAY and AD211 like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A word of advise. I have the front of my Nero Stellato (tri layer) Lusso wrapped. Make sure you get the paint corrected prior to wrap. Some say PPF hides swirls and imperfections... It does not. It enhances it. Black is the most difficult to wrap nicely imo, and the paint needs to be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Cigarzman likes this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Curious since you went black did you go for the black section option on the bonnet ?

Cigarzman likes this.
  8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No Angelo , I did not. I’m not a fan of that option anyway. I didn’t see the point of it. Best , Kirk

MANDALAY likes this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Went to Ferrari today as they finally received their demos. I see the effect by having it black on other coloured cars ( shorter bonnent ) but on Black not necessary as you pointed out. But even then i wouldn't pick it. Reason is I looked very closely and all three had pin hoes in the black :(

Also creates an issue when wrapping.

Boy you are going to love your F8 . The 488 is beautiful but the F8 is a step up.

Cigarzman likes this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I pretty excited to get my new rig because I know from the negative posts that the F8 will suck just like my 488 and I can’t wait ! Lol.

11. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Since people with black cars have come to this thread, my next exotic is likely to be a 488 coupe. The perfect car would be black(non-metallic) /tan with daytona seats and inserts. How many of these have been seen?

Mighty Joe likes this.
  12. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    I have owned a few (black, non-metallic) and not seen many others, even fewer with a tan interior – more often black on black.

As noted on a few other threads most black as is a PITA to keep clean, but when clean I do not think there is a colour to match it depth wise – assuming it has been corrected.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wow! That really sucks! So thrilled for you:) Can't wait to config my F8vSpider. I'm sure it will be a marvelous pile of crap. I'm stoked.

Cigarzman likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Haven't seen any like that. Word of advise. If youvwant black, avoid Nero Daytona. Back in the day, it was a fairly "black" metallic black. In the last 10-15 years it has changed though. It looks almost like a dark charcoal or just a dirty black car. Go proper black or Stellato. Daytona is not what it used to be unfortunately.

15. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I never understood metallic black paint? The beauty of black is the purity of the black effect which when mixed with a non color metallic looks washed out. I do like black mixed with color like on myBlack Sapphire McLaren.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I wouldn’t poo poo the Nero Daytona. I love mine. I’ve had both. What do I know ? I like the sparkles.

mdrums, AD211, C50 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    As ntatfas said black is a PITA to keep clean. After a black NSX, I swore it off but it just looks too good to resist when clean. One problem in Florida is that we so frequently get a surprise rain shower or misty rain or errant sprinkler. With a celar wrap, is there anything short of a full wash that can be done without risking micro scratches or paint swirls?

18. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    It is such a shame that Ferrari has so few great colors and it seems like they never change. If they do introduce something new it is often extra cost and not frequently ordered. This is an area where McLaren puts them to shame.

19. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan

Attached Files:

mdrums and Cigarzman like this.