360 - I just found something inter-resting | FerrariChat

360 I just found something inter-resting

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Nov 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it seems that if you disconnect the battery while engine is running, the engine will instantly die.

That's not the case on all of my cars owned other than ferraris.

What is the battery providing power to while not provided by alternator that's so critical?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you just using the battery cutoff switch?

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Disconnecting the battery while the engine is running would likely cause the voltage in the system to float which would wreak havock on the electrical gadgets in the car. The ECU would likely go insane and that would kill the engine.

I'd add that the potential for damage due to excessive and fluctuating currents are not trivial. I suggest not doing that.

4. JonM

JonM Karting

Oct 31, 2017
    South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jon Maratos
    The battery acts as a large capacitor, smoothing out the power coming out of the regulator that converts the AC voltage from the alternator into DC that the car runs on. Without this, the DC voltage would have LOTS of peaks and troughs and would most likely damage the electronics in the car. I'm surprised you haven't had issues trying this in other cars you've owned. Certainly not something I'd try in any car, regardless of how cheap or basic it might be.

Qavion likes this.
  5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

no, physically disconnect the battery negative pole ( as an accident, not intentional.)

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah, the negative terminal. I thought it might have had something to do with the sense wire circuit going from the battery positive pole to the alternator. If this is disconnected, the voltage goes high and may affect some ECUs (including the engine ones). Whether the alternator sense circuit is affected in the same way by removing the negative pole, I'm not sure.

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If you disconnect either end of a two terminal device (a battery), the other node floats and it is no longer in the circuit. So there would still be voltage regulation issues.

Qavion likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    This used to be a diag step on old non ecu type cars to test the op of the alt

when a voltmeter was not avail

Agree — big no no on fragile f car.

Qavion and armedferret like this.