458 spider windscreen misting | FerrariChat

458 spider windscreen misting

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nigel glen, Nov 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    Hello everyone from rainy England

My first post. I swapped my Cali and a bag of gold for a 2014 spider a few months ago. When in the garage I have a silica gel dehumidifier in the car so it should be fairly dry inside.

But I have noticed that the car suffers badly from windscreen misting especially when it rains. I have to hit the demister button every few minutes. Apart from driving in the rain with the windows open is this a common problem or am I just (un)lucky? Any ideas how to solve?

Regardless I absolutely love the car and will forgive any sins.

thanks for all advice

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do you keep the A/C compressor engaged? That should keep the windscreen from misting up frequently.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    Thanks for the reply. No I don’t - I know that would help but having to put on the A/C when it’s 11oC seems an odd thing to have to do and doesn’t root out the cause. I’ve never had another car (or Ferrari for that matter) mist up so easily and badly.

I open the rear window which helps - but again I’m looking for the cause not the remedy

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I don’t know the root cause. It may be normal for all I know because unless I’m on a track, I keep my A/C engaged. It’s possible the switch also closes off external vents, leading to moisture buildup. Many articles recommend keeping the A/C engaged during the winter. Here’s one.

http://aacare.net/running-air-conditioning-winter/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Nigel, I just saw a youtube video on how to "defog" your windows. It says Rainx Antifog works very well and believe it or not Shaving gel. Check it out on youtube.

6. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    Thanks Graz - will take a look. I had the car in to dick Lovett for a stone chip spa session and they said they were hearing a lot of cars were having the same trouble and blamed the current weather

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As post #4 I think like previous models the a/c should always be on plus set for auto and then just rely on the temperature gauge to go up or down - the a/c should then also lower the humidity & prevent misting - its a climate control system not a separate a/c on top of heating & ventilation