458 - Thoughts on Potential 458 Spider Purchase? | FerrariChat

458 Thoughts on Potential 458 Spider Purchase?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shtey, Nov 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    I have an opportunity to purchase an off-market 2013 458 Spider. ~13k miles.

I wanted to get this group's perspective on the price of the vehicle given its condition.

Because seller is motivated and it's off-market, I have an opportunity to purchase for ~$170k.

Pros -
    It's a 458
    It's a Spider
    Low mileage
    Good "headline" price
    Clear PPI, qualifies for an extended warranty

Cons -
    ~5 owners (is this normal for this year? indication of broader issues?)
    Curb rash
    Sticky trim
    Shrinking leather dashboard
    Some other minor cosmetic issues, such as a few paint blemishes, scratches on undercarriage, etc.

How would you think about the value of this car and the cost to address some of the "cons" identified? I am concerned around the cost to resolve the cons and whether there's anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That’s a very good price if condition and history check out. As in too good.
    If at a F dealer, I feel a bit better but they are known to hide issues also.
    5 owners is normal. Curb rash and sticky easy cheap fixes.
    Dashboard...I have had four of these 458’s and have never seen that, maybe others will comment. Doesn’t seem right to me.
    If you have a very reputable PPI/paint/accident checks etc and can review service records, then I wouldn’t worry.
    W/o race seats, led wheel, some carbon inside, etc the price would be impacted, but at $170k already that may be baked in.
    Incredible cars!

3. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    Thanks dustman! Super helpful.

Would you fix sticky buttons yourself or through one of the dealers on the forums?

PPI was completed at F dealership. I'm assuming that's considered reputable? It was a couple of pages with "yes" and "no" checkmarks, so it can qualify for an extended warranty. All items were checked "yes"

4. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    Just priced it with the extra specs. Looks like it was ~$320k brand new. Has Carbon, LED wheel, Daytona seats.

5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

What’s the color combo? Seems to be a major factor in price. If it’s odd or less known combo I can see it bringing the price down to $170K. Personally I feel that 170k appears to be a fair price for what is presented on the cons list. The multiple owners always make it a bit more difficult to sell. Seller knows what it’s worth, maybe loses a couple of K on a quick sale, but doesn’t have to wait through a few months of fielding potential buyers.

BTW what do you consider low miles? Would raise questions about why so many in such a short amount of driving time. Would also have the car checked by a body shop to make sure it didn’t have unreported (on carfax) paint done to it. May be factored into price.

6. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    All great points.

White exterior. Tan interior.

It has ~13k miles and 5 owners.

Current owner put 4k miles on it, which means previous 4 owners drove the car for an aggregate of 9k miles.

7. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    Would you ask for a price reduction to address the "cons" and if so, how much? $5k? $10k? $15k?

8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I’d get a PPI done. If no other issues, and no body work appears to be done to the car I think you’re getting quite the deal. Would be hard to negotiate unless seller is really motivated and is not worried about getting market price. Again, if no surprises, I think it’s a fair price. Maybe 458 owners can chime in with better info, but this is just based on the sporadic searches I’ve done for 458’s. Quick search on Autotrader shows 2013 458 spiders ranging from $179 (with double miles) to $225k. One outlier was $150k, but had 60k miles.

In fact, if the above is true and you pass on it, and he really wants to sell it; I suggest posting it on Fchat classifieds. I feel like it would sell fairly quickly there.

9. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    I had one completed. It came back clear, ex. the issues I identified in the cons list. Therefore, it qualifies for an extended warranty.

I do need to check the paint. That's a great suggestion.

Thanks for your thoughts!

VAF84 likes this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #10 wthensler, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    I’ve had a 2013 Spider for 2 years. Most all options, multiple owners, FL car, came with stickies. I had most addressed, wasn’t too bad cost wise ($ 2K), which included disassembly and reassembly of dashboard.

You can find a new set of OEM rims for $4K if you look, there is someone on Fchat selling them. Or maybe existing can be refinished.

Mileage seems normal for age. Mine had 2k and now at 13k. Your car will be much happier not being a garage queen.

I opted against an extended warranty, no problems so far. It’s out of the 7 year maintenance, I have two good Indys who can address most of its needs.

At some point, you will need to get past minor imperfections. It will soon be an 8 year old car.

PM me if you need contacts for rims, etc.

VAF84 and Shtey like this.
  11. Shtey

Shtey Rookie

Oct 28, 2020
    Thank you helpful. If not sensitive, curious what you paid for it?

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I believe 210ish in 2018. Was at the time a low mileage car.....

13. RazAtx

RazAtx Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Raza Haider
    Sounds like a great deal and a great car
    I haven't heard anything about "shrinking leather" but everything else is easy to fix and multiple owners is pretty normal as long as PPI checks out and you can get service history (plus)

Good luck. Keep us posted

Best car ever. Still get goosebumps everytime I start her

Shtey and dustman like this.