Ferrari culture vs aftermarket parts | FerrariChat

Ferrari culture vs aftermarket parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Felix Yuen, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    Hi,
    why is it that putting on aftermarket parts such as performance exhaust, intake, brakes, wheels will drastically decrease it's resell value over time ?
    i also noticed that cars that does not come with its "tool kit, car covers, seat covers" and services done at professional mechanic shops but not original Ferrari dealers seems to be a big no ?

future more, how much would you pay for a 2005 F430 F1 Berlinetta in the below specs:
    -33000miles, clutch 60%
    -clean car fax
    -3 owners
    -Rosso exterior, Nero interior w/ red stitching's, some carbon interior trims
    -some service done at Ferrari, some are not
    -exhaust manifold, engine mounts replaced at Ferrari dealer with OEM components
    -1 or 2 sticky buttons
    -aftermarket wheels, exhaust, intake, lowering springs, aftermarket brakes, aftermarket carbon interior trims

thank you in advance

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 EastMemphis, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Some mods seem to be a real negative. Switching the exhaust and headers is not one of them. Most 360/430 models have either been switched already or will be. If the owner goes cheapo and gets crappy headers, then yes, it could be a negative. Most 360's I looked at had the front lowered already. I don't think that matters either.

Mods that change the appearance such as non-OEM wheels, cheapo carbon fiber parts or radical things such as adding turbos to a NA car will chop the value and desirability dramatically.

As for the silly tool kit, worthless. Mine came with a complete set but if the car was missing them, I wouldn't have cared at all. Maybe some are hard up on those little trinkets but to me, it adds nothing but weight.

Personally, one of the higher value items to be included with an F car is the service history. I got a nice thick folder that went all the way back to 2006. It was pretty extensive and covered everything that was done to the car. Very reassuring that the car led a privileged life as a well loved and cared for vehicle. Some service was performed at the F dealer, others at independents. I don't care that much which as long as the service was performed and documented.

brogenville, RANDY6005 and VAF84 like this.
  3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    It really depends on the mods. In 360 land, having challenge stradale parts of any kind generally increase the resale. Aftermarket exhausts are generally a good selling point as well, especially due to the possibility of precat failure. Putting the car on bags and screwing some scrap metal on the fenders and calling it a widebody kit on the other hand will kill resale.

As for service records, I know I'm in the minority when I say they mean nothing to me. I pulled out 18 year old timing belts on my car that just had the major done at a big name dealership. The tensioners weren't mounted properly by the first timing job done by another big name dealership. I've saved easily $20k working on it myself and know that it was done with proper care. Not every place will screw you, but some places will charge you for work they never do, and never get called out on it. If you don't DIY, shop around and find a good place to get your car looked after.

If you want a top dollar perfect, pristine model, service records are very important for resale. If you go after bottom of the barrel cars, they don't really matter as much.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As a buyer when I look at cars, more mods = more chances for a hack to screw up

Need4Spd, Stev-o, VAF84 and 1 other person like this.
  5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I'm glad I got my car the way it is so I can make it the way I want. And that factory tool kit is a joke. You think anyone uses that.

RANDY6005 and imahorse like this.
  6. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Are you implying that we shouldn't use that 20 year old serpentine belt?

armedferret likes this.
  7. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Would you use it. And modified cars built with passion like my car ,or RANDY6005 or trev car I would take over most cars. Built by someone that cares and looks at the beauty of the car not the little things. Because most little things should be fixed

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I was kidding about the belt. I'm on the same page with a car being built properly. I believe that taking extra care and time to perfect everything even if it takes a few extra hours is something few shops will do to the extent that the owners will.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ima- the shop rate math just does not support the extra qa qc. To be sure it’s done right.

most shops are trying to capitalize on beating the book time per job. That’s all the profit.

pump em out

If you find a good shop take care of them.

brogenville, RANDY6005 and imahorse like this.
  10. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I have no history with my local Ferrari Dealer's Service Dept, yet. I will in the spring, as I'm going to let them do a once-over on it, so that I can add to the service-history a "clean bill of health" for any prospective-buyer's peace of mind. But having said that: the level of quality of MY OWN WORK that I do on my cars is always at a much higher standard than anyone else has ever produced on any of my cars. I simply care more. Sure, it means I buy specialty tools and equipment on occasion, but when the work is done I can feel confident that it is done correctly. I've NEVER been able to say the same of any shop, dealer or not.

Flea7, EastMemphis, RANDY6005 and 3 others like this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just about Every time I’ve had my cars worked on by a shop at least one fastener is broken of missing....., just sloppy.

or they leave it in the hot sun for days just destroying the dash etc...

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    In my shop it's a matter of don't ask me to compromise my standards and reputation. If you do I will politely tell you that I am not the shop for you.
    Sadly not every shop feels this way. More like "I did the job now pay me." I did not start my own shop 29 years ago to simply do what is only necessary-- or worse gloss over what is necessary.
    I could have made more $$ working for a shop like that, but my integrity would not allow it. So I started my own shop -- my own rules. No regrets.

13. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Regarding aftermarket parts installation, I think there are a number of factors to consider.

First, how long do you plan on keeping the car? If you’re an owner that enjoys a car for a season or two with limited miles and then you move onto the next, you’re better off leaving the car in factory trim.

Second, what condition was the car when you bought it? Did it have “higher” miles? Previous paintwork? Other previous modifications? If any of these boxes are checked, it’s likely you got (or should’ve gotten) a good deal. If this is the case, given the car will likely trade below market moving forward, you should feel more free to mod with less impact other than the cost of doing so.

Third, how many miles do you plan on driving it? Even if you only keep it for a few years, if you rack up the miles, I think you can also worry less about modifications, since the miles alone will cause it to trade below market.

I bought my 360 with 45k on the clock and bone stock. I knew I was going to keep it indefinitely, I and given the spec and miles coupled with a gated shifter, I feel like I got a fair deal. I also knew I wanted to make it my own. Since January, I’ve done the following:
    -tubi exhaust
    -capristo test pipes
    -Fabspeed headers and blankets
    -Fabspeed O2 extenders
    -Mase tune
    -r tuned carbon fiber engine bay panels
    -r tuned carbon fiber interior trim bits
    -pioneer wireless CarPlay head unit
    -Scuderia audio sub, amp, components and enclosures
    -replica challenge stradale wheels
    -yellow tach
    -last but not least was a head gasket job with milled heads and a 5 angle valve job

Every Ferrari guy I talk to has a different take on the mods. Some love them and think it modernizes the car. Others think the carbon fiber especially cheapens it substantially. Other still think it is way too loud.

Since I drive the bejesus out of it and intend on keeping it for as many years as I’m fortunate enough to, I decided to simply make it my own and put it in the state that I would maximize my enjoyment.

I don’t need everyone else to love it. I love it. Every time I drive it I feel fortunate and I smile and feel like I’m dreaming.

Everything else is tertiary at best.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Patman, armedferret, dbdreams and 3 others like this.
  14. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    #14 dbdreams, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    I am having a head gasket job done on my 360 as we speak but I have not gotten the estimate as of yet. Do you mind letting me know what this service cost you?

15. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No problem at all. I spent about $18k with my a good friend of mine who owns an independent shop in Buffalo called Mr. Best Wrench. They’re exceptionally talented, detail oriented, and experienced in exotic, rare, and classic car restoration and repair.

This price included the machine shop work, all gaskets and new hardware, some powder coating (we powder coated the upper intake plenum and valve covers), header blankets, and a few other add ons. If I removed some of the extras it probably would’ve been closer to $12-13k.

Where do you live? If you’re close enough to Buffalo I’d highly recommend this shop...

dbdreams likes this.
  16. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    When you say all new hardware, can you elaborate? valves? springs? etc?

I am in Alabama

17. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Reused original valves, but purchased new springs. New head bolts. New oil pickup. Those were the big “hardware” buys.

dbdreams likes this.
  18. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sorry - also new timing belt kit.

dbdreams likes this.
  19. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen

good info and thank you for your input !!
    a potential I am looking at is at a good price, how ever it does have a $19000USD front end accident claim
    is this consider a huge claim on a f car ?

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    When I listed my CS for sale it had full Tubi headers, cats, muffler but I was asked to take it all out or take a hit on my asking price...I had included all the oem parts but nearly all interested parties saw the Tubi stuff as a negative, so in the end I took it all out and sold it separately.

I also had a GruppeM carbon intake w integrated heat shield and that was also not viewed favorably...even though performance gains were real not to mention how it minimized heat soak by at least 50%.

*shrugs*

No regrets buying the mods though, even though I got pennies on the dollar on resale; they definitely elevated my ownership experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the 25+k miles with them on.

SRLC716 and armedferret like this.
  21. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I wouldn’t say it’s a huge claim, but any accident claim will be a big ding against fair market value.

$19k could be a new bumper cover, headlights, and paintwork. Could be a garage tap or supermarket parking lot snafu, or could be something more significant.

Personally, that wouldn’t scare me off, as long as I felt it was adequately reflected in the purchase price.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, a minor claim.....no more than replacing a bumper with some accessories.

23. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    What prompted you to do the head gasket / valve job? My 360 has 47,000 miles, so relatively close to yours and I’m wondering if you found anything to cause concern at that mileage. Or, did you just do it as a preventative upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Drivers side bank unfortunately blew in a very obvious way. At first some exhaust gases were clearly quick boiling some coolant as I’d get odd quick spikes in temp. Then before we could do a hydrocarbon sniffer test, it actually hydrolocked cylinder 8 when trying to start it. Woof. That sucked...

Anyway, we knew it was the head gasket. Not sure how or why it failed, but when we finally got it broken down, there was a half inch chunk of the compression ring on the head gasket missing! And a couple of other larger obvious cracks and faults.

I don’t believe head gasket failure is common in these engines.

25. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam