Home Video I Recorded At A FCA Southeast Track Day 8/22/1992 | FerrariChat

Home Video I Recorded At A FCA Southeast Track Day 8/22/1992

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Nov 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This is a video I recorded on a camcorder at TigPrix near Talledega, AL just over 28 years ago. This track was a popular spot with FCA's southeast chapter for many years and we were back this past weekend.

I'm posting it to see if anyone recognizes themselves or someone they know or knew. Maybe their car from a previous owner is there. Just anything for fun.

The late John Apen and his wife Carol are there in their 400 (or maybe a 365 GT4 2+2, not sure how to tell the difference visually). Ric Schumann and is awesome sounding 78 308 (still to this day the best sounding 308 I have ever heard) is there. I'm the guy with tan hat getting into the blue 328. This particular 328 had Tennessee plates then. The Black TR was being driven by someone who used to race - and it wasn't his car. I last saw him he was teaching at Panoz Road Atlanta about 20 years ago. No idea what his name is. I am fairly certain that's David Pratt in the Alfa race car.

As expected for the time, it is mostly 308's, 330's, etc. Interestingly, no 348's. I guess they were too new to risk track time.

22 min. For those who want to look in the our chapter's past. Enjoy.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Alj2XQtgUysmjc11UAWk4XmH70-vWg?e=j2Ycrs

2. mjmccoymd

mjmccoymd Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    Lawrenceville, GA (USA) & Montegridolfo, Italy
    Full Name:
    Michael McCoy
    I was the owner (then) of that black TR (license BLK TR). Joe Foster was driving. He has gone on to be the faster half of Dempsey Racing, done Le Mans, etc. He is now with DuPont, leading a team working with the Renault F1 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing !

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    WOW!

If I recall, you weren't there. He took me for one helluva ride that day.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Of course, they've lengthened the track since then and moved the pits. I've driven the track twice, once in each configuration. After the revision, they changed the direction to counterclockwise!

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We drove it both ways back in the day as you can see on the video. One way before lunch and the other after lunch. Two tracks in one day!

They dont let us do that anymore. The other downside is you cant get out after the track is hot because you have to cross it to get out.

But it is still one of my favorites. I like it much better than Barber's. TigPrix is a better fit for a slower car.

steved033 likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    What really got me...no helmets.

sjd

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  9. ATLdoghouse

Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Roebling is similar with the same hot track problem. I agree TGP is good for slower cars. We should do a small private event sometime soon !

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Last Sat was the first time back since 08 for the FCA. Bad timing with Italian Car Day on the same day but it was the only open window for us over here. I would like to see it back on the FCA SE calendar annually again like it used to be.

DefunctNeurons and dbdreams like this.
  11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    To my eye, the 308 is still a great looking car.

4re308 and dbdreams like this.
  12. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's the first thing I noticed too! It seems extremely laid back compared to track days today....
    Thanks for sharing!

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We did wear helmets but not always like now.

The way we used to do it was by 2 run groups: Touring and Sport (and apparently a Ladies only session that afternoon that I don't remember being a typical thing but I could be wrong).

They were based on speed limits (which no one really followed anyway). The sport groups had to wear helmets. Touring groups did not have to wear one and were limited to a speed limit max that I do not recall now. If you go to about 4:15 you will see Ric Schumann starting and pulling away wearing a helmet.

steved033 likes this.
  14. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    This is a really cool story! You post and someone recognizes their car and the fills in the blanks about the racecar driver who was driving it that day. What are the chances? Tommy, you should write a book about your journey with Ferrari. I am sure many Ferrari owners have similar stories but yours is quite interesting that I am sure lots of folks can relate to.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Well, I still haven't been to Italy....

dbdreams likes this.
  16. ItsCarbonFiber

ItsCarbonFiber Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Clay
    This is so cool to see. Thanks for posting this footage. Do you have any more video from the period of other happenings or events?

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yep

I have a big one from Mar 28 1992 that same year at Road Atlanta and that was actually the weekend I joined the club. I was in Atlanta that Friday with my girlfriend at the time and I stopped by FAF as I usually did only to find it crowded with Ferrari's. The late Fred Repass told me they were having a FCA track day at Road Atlanta the next day and the flood of cars were tech inspections for the event. I was not a club member but he sponsored me to let me get access (I was 23 at the time, no job, full time broke student). I drove back to Birmingham and then back to Braselton the next morning - with the same camcorder - and felt like I fell off into some Alice in Wonderland thing. Up until then the most Ferraris I had ever sen at once was whatever happened to fit in the showroom at FAF. That morning I was standing in the middle of a hundred it seemed. The 348 was the newest model out there and there was an F40 which was a BIG treat to see.

And another funny thing. In the video can hear me say "that's my Ferrari right there" when a black QV eased past me pulling onto the track. Believe it of not, it was my future Ferrari. That particular 308 was the one I eventually bought 5 years later. I didn't realize that until about 10 years after I got the car. I just happened to be watching it again and noticed how similar the car in the video was to mine. Similar as in same metallic color, deep front spoiler and black tweeters in the doors. It had TN plates. I pulled my records and found the tech inspection for that event! The owner lived in TN. Crazy coincidence!

The track was FULL that day almost like a national meet. The video is about 45 minutes long and I was all over the track, pit out, infield, everywhere.

I'll upload it in the next few days.

ItsCarbonFiber, 4re308 and dbdreams like this.
  18. ATLdoghouse

Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I wonder if the F40 was late Theo "Toby" Beans', his family lived next door when I was growing up. I know he brought it out there a couple of times.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There is a bunch of it in the video. We'll see

20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    This is FANTASTIC Tommy! Thank you so much for sharing this video. I would LOVE to see the 1992 one from Road Atlanta. I was at that event!

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had it dubbed and ready to upload early this morning. Turns out the program I was using to get it up on Onedrive was free for only a few uses. I need to get a new one downloaded.

No big deal but it will have to be either Sunday or Monday now since I am currently out of town.

It is 1:05 long. You may see yourself.

ItsCarbonFiber likes this.
  22. ItsCarbonFiber

ItsCarbonFiber Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Clay
  23. ItsCarbonFiber

ItsCarbonFiber Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Clay
    Is there any footage up anywhere from this?

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not yet and that is my fault. I'll get it. Hopefully by this weekend. I just need to search out a new program.

25. ItsCarbonFiber

ItsCarbonFiber Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Clay
    YouTube may be your best bet. I had to with a Finali video a few years ago.