Please help to decide to buy or not | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Please help to decide to buy or not

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Zanetti, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you buy a Ferrari for 50-60% of it's price outside your country

1. Yes

2. No, too risky

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zanetti

Zanetti Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrey Pikhov
    Thanks Paulchua, they said 2008 F430s are banned to import. The import kit for f360 is 65k, they change catalysts and other things. They're specialized on La Ferrari's and Sennas.
    On my side I'll try to test drive it on Sunday and do some checking.
    The other thing I was thinking. I bought my car for 11k, and invested around 2. It's in outstanding condition It's a 2002 SL with 100k km. If I want to fold the roof, I can do it. If I want to make the clearance more than 20cm, I just push a button and I can go on the most dirt road ever in my country. It's a 2 seater and the 55 AMG will be comparable with specs to Ferrari (no place to drive more than 120km/h in my country). Also the roads are so bad, you can't drive the Ferrari in most of the streets near city centre. Why would anyone choose a Ferrari here over an SL. Not to mention we have many cheap and good Mercedes services.

paulchua likes this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If the legal possession of the current owner is verifiably legit then for gawds sake pull the trigger before someone else scoops the deal.
    Don't make me come over there !

I'm done here.
    Buy the friggen car already.
    "You don't make money when you sell...you make money when you buy".

3. Zanetti

Zanetti Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrey Pikhov
    Guys to make it clear. Cars in my region are in generally cheaper. A while ago a guy in Russia bought a 360 for around 32k. 430's in Russia are not that popular, several years ago the cheapest one was less than 60k, you can buy FF in Russia for less than 100k in very good condition. Given that nobody will buy the car in my country is it still worth it for 40-45k?

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, I think you answered your own question. If it's hard to sell the car even at 45K, there probably are issues with export as you are finding. So the value is perhaps actually already 'market price.' You either drive in your country and have to send it out far away for maintenance or export and deal with 30% VAT + Transport + PPI.

As I said last week:

5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    If you trade your car plus cash to get the Ferrari, then you no longer have a car you can drive in your country due to the condition of the roads, as you state. Will that be ok for you while you try to sell the Ferrari, not having a car you can drive? If you are able to sell it, but at a much lower price, are you ok with making 10K or 15K profit, or possibly even no profit? I certainly wouldn't go through all of that for $15K profit (or whatever it would be), but perhaps that is a lot of money in your country. I doubt you are risking losing the car by naming your country. Probably no one on this site could buy it out from under you and then actually get it out of that country. I don't know, perhaps a non-member who happens to read this thread could snatch it, but it seems doubtful. Any profit could be easily taken away by something missed in the pre-purchase inspection of the car, even at a Mercedes dealer. I take it there are no independent (non-dealer) Italian car mechanics in your area. This idea certainly takes flipping a car to a new extreme! I hope it can work out for you so that you're able to reveal the entire story.

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1

7. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    #57 the_dan, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Interesting thread.

couple of things:

1. I believe your story for what it’s worth. The car actually looks quite a nice example as well.

2. It seems like a lot of risk and hassle based on the profile of the deal as you describe it to put 30k of your own money on the line, even in in an expectation of clearing 15k.

3. The well meaning comments like ‘check for sticky buttons and clutch life’ are kinda funny in the context of this thread; sticky buttons are the least of this dude’s worries.

4. If it were me and I could make the right trusted connection locally I’d be inclined to part the car out or maybe sell it to one of the breakers in the UK. Heck, even the toolkit must be worth a grand.

Just can’t see too many people going for a complete vehicle that’s been through three owners in Russia and that’s taken a detour via (what sounds like) a former soviet satellite state (no offence intended).

If the 430 is anything like the 360, selling a few good condition trim and interior parts (as well as a low mileage motor) could make you your return quicker.

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    any minute the thread will have cute girl pics being sent to big tex.

readplays likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I still think Bulgaria. Maybe Kosovo. Bad places to have a Ferrari. Parting it out is the best idea I have heard, apart from doing nothing at all and moving on

the_dan likes this.
  11. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Not BG I reckon because it’s in the EU so I don’t think export from there would be such a headache, and there would have to be at least a couple of Ferraris there.

If there’s literally no Ferraris my guess is Georgia, Moldova, Belarus or maybe one of the ‘stans.

Wherever it is, seems like having a Ferrari would be like having a (literal) red target for all kinds of shysters.

This is a fascinating thread. I want to see what happens.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Probably here;)

@paulchua mods can see IP addresses right ?so u likely could find out unless he uses Thor or something;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Zanetti

Zanetti Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrey Pikhov
    Hey friends. I think the car will be available for even more time (not sure though). The car is clean but I have talked with some friends, and parting out is not possible (you need to do it by a legal entity, and it's nearly unreal as I have heard). I think I can buy in for 40k. Any ideas what I can do with the car later?
    Selling or driving in my car is not an option now.
    If the car is gone, or I buy it, I'll reveal the story.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Andrew, just a note, being a parts reseller from an Eastern European country is not as easy as it sounds. Many of these parts are large/bulky/heavy, and you'll need to think about the logistics end.

Ask yourself, do you really think it's worth it?

Drop 40K for a car, which you'll also need to have the facilities, tools, know how to disassemble. Get appropriate boxes and packaging (protective supplies/boxes/labels). Also, you still have not resolved that parts do not exempt you from customs and duties.

I personally would find another avenue to double my 40K. - in fact, the volatile stock market allowed me to just this (and more) this week.

I didn't have to unscrew a single bolt.

Bmwatts likes this.
  15. Zanetti

Zanetti Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrey Pikhov
    Seems the car is gone. If you're interested here is the story.
    The car is was in Armenia. Here's the VIN ZFFEZ58B000158101
    The guy won the car at lottery at goodwin.am -
    Before the war the car was placed for 70k, and I was interested to buy it for around 55k, and I am sure he would accept the offer. At that time I was thinking of driving the car by myself, fulfilling my childhood dream.
    When the war started I pushed my finances to help the army and wounded soldiers. After a month the guy texted me, that he will sell the car for 45k. I said that I am not interested due to the war, but will try to find some solutions. After the war it's completely unethical driving the car here(that's why I was writing that I am not going to drive the car), after nearly every family has some lost relatives, that's why I was only interested in flipping the car.
    The end of this sad story.
    I appreciate the help of everyone in this thread, especially Paulchua.
    Now I have more important things to do, after this everything happened. Hope to get back to this forum someday with my own Ferrari.
    Sending love to everyone.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Andrew, you are a gentleman. I want to point out that I had approached you skeptically, and you were not only civil but proved me 100% wrong. Stay in touch, and I wish you only the best.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Zanetti

Zanetti Rookie

Nov 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andrey Pikhov
    Thanks Paulchua. I understand your skepticism at the start :) And of course appreciate following support :)

paulchua likes this.