Steering wheel vibration with Continental winter contact tires | FerrariChat

Steering wheel vibration with Continental winter contact tires

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Nov 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I just had new continental winter contact TS 860 tires placed on my Lusso. On the drive home, the steering wheel was vibrating after 73 mph. I brought it back to the dealer and they rebalanced the tires. I still have a vibration. The service fellow said it may just be the tires because they are very stiff. Anyone have any experience with these? I tried to get Michelin alpin and couldn’t find them. I had Pirelli soto winter and felt they were not to good in the snow. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    BS. Either there's a problem with the tyres, the wheels or their mounting/balancing. They are nice tyres and should be perfectly smooth.

Take the car to a reputable tyre shop and have them look it over. Have them check both the wheels themelves for trueness and then the tyres. If the vibration persists after the wheels check out, oukay ask your dealer to contact Continental. There is such a thing as tyre warranty. If one of your wheels are bent, have it straightened.

Bamsefar and Georgemaser like this.
  3. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would be leaning towards a broken belt during install or tyre defect.

Try to isolate which corner and go from there.

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Could be that the operator ran a static rather than dynamic balance (it happens!).

It could also be that the tyre is slightly out of round so it will balance perfectly but not run true on the road (radial runout) From what I’ve read, a Hunter road force machine will spot that and assist the operator to minimise or eliminate it

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Just a story from my life: I got new winter tires from Autoropa, the Michelin Pilot Alpin, and they completly messed up the balance of all four wheels in the first try. Turned out they had some error on the balance machine.....

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Autoropa strikes again...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
  8. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the advice. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

9. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Curious what sizes you are running. Doing research now for snow tires in the Lusso.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just run OE size. 245 and 295. Those 235's are stupid skinny for a two ton behemoth.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    OE size 245 and 295.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually you will get better traction in snow with a narrower tire.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @Georgemaser, also worth seeing if what balancing machine the dealer is using. As someone eluded to earlier, you will get the best results on something like a balancing machine like a Hunter Road Force where the tire is first filled up to pressure then loaded against another roller to simulate the road.

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    OE winter tyre size on the FF is 235F and 285R. They’re both a size down from the OE summer tyres. Does the Lusso run the same size summer and winter tyres?

Having said all that, I’m running 265F and 315R summer tyres so sizing up on winters to 245/295 probably won’t do much harm either.

15. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    The size is not that important (the tires are more than enough wide anyway so even if it generally speaking is better with a narrow winter tire, well 285 is not narrow during winter - it is ultra wide), the important part is that it IS a winter tire (and not some sort of all season crap).

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When I’ve had this issue, it is usually road force.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here's a picture I want to show you. I took it while cleaning the Lusso today, the car is on winter boots. Look at the right front. No, the tyre is not punctured, that is how close the rim comes to the ground on a slightly curved kerb. That size seems like an afterthough on that car with those wheels - it's idiotic. They ride poor as well. Garbage!

Here in Europe we now have a proper alternative in the Pilot Alpin 5. That tyre I can run in 235/40R20 and 275/40R20 and that is what I will do next time. Yes those will fit with zero issues. The front has the equivalent diameter of 265/35R20 which have proven to fit a Lusso and FF well, and the rear has the same diameter as 315/35R20 which also fits the Lusso and FF. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of choice for Lusso owners in the US currently, so 245 and 295 is the better choice, for sure. Those are also a much better tyre than the Pirelli winters. The PA4 is fine, but I hate my winter Pirellis. This season, and never again!

Yes, narrower is better, but again, this is a two ton tank! 245 is plenty narrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Seeing that you're in Europe, do what I plan on doing. Run the same diameter as your summer shoes. 235/40R20 and 275/40R20.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  20. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    No follow up as of yet but thank you all for all the input. The dealer is ordering me new tires so I will let you know.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What tyres are you getting?

22. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Just bought a set of winter conti’s for the Lusso ..... have this old set of wheels from my FF laying around that I was thinking of using with them. Anyone know if these would be direct bolt to the Lusso or if any spacers would be needed? Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Fronts are a straight fit. Use a Hill 11mm spacer in the back.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Thank you! This is why F-chat is such a valuable resource.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome. Don't forget to order longer bolts and use a pair of wheel hangers when mounting them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.