To get Suspension lift or not on a 812SF. | FerrariChat

To get Suspension lift or not on a 812SF.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by john Owen, Nov 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    As per title is it a 'must have' on an 812SF. I live in the UK and am considering buying a pre-owned 812SF and have expressed interest in two examples currently for sale at my Ferrari dealer. I live on a farm with a long private smooth asphalt drive where the suspension lift is definitely not needed, however how essential is it over sleeping policemen or speed bumps. It won't be going near underground car parks.!
    One of the cars has both front and rear lifts and the other has no lift. I'm also wondering how much weight both the front and rear lift adds, must be combined 15-20Kg but i'm guessing.
    The one without lift is Rosso Corsa with the lightest possible spec including all the carbon fibre inside and out. It also has a full Alcantara Race seats with both the cabin and trunk carpets in the same material. Its been specced as close to a light TDF as possible which appeals to me.
    The other 812 is in Grigio Ferro with leather race seats and both front and rear lift but is fitted with the standard cast diamond wheels. I estimate the Rosso car is at least 50Kg lighter then the Grigio one.
    The two reservations i have on the Rosso 812 is that it has no lift or JBL unlike the Grigio one. These two options along with leather, cast wheels etc add weight but is it a mistake to get an 812 without the first two options.
    Thanks in advance.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have both lift and JBL, worth having.

Thecadster, RamsHmb, 430jm and 3 others like this.
  3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I could live without the lift but it is useful. The JBL is IMHO a great option if you listen to music as it can keep up while driving. Recommended.

BTW you are comparing small amounts of weight on a pretty monstrous car. I wouldn't sweat a few extra pounds in this car, it has immense power and the virtual short wheelbase makes it downright nimble.

Boomhauer, Caeruleus11 and 350MH83 like this.
  4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I wasn't aware the 812SF had both front and rear lifts. Thought that was a FF/Lusso option only? That said, I like the front lift a lot on mine, and use it even when I probably don't need it. I also believe the upgraded stereo is a very nice option. I can crank the stereo up and not hear a single thing other than the stereo if I like, and it sounds pretty good through carplay.

When it comes to weight, the only option that's going to matter is forged wheels vs not. Un-sprung mass is what counts here, and everything else doesn't matter. With the power you are never going to notice the weight difference of carbon fiber vs not, and the lifter vs not. If you care about the weight, get forged wheels as they'll make a difference, albeit small.

If I were choosing, I'd pick based on the color combo and options list I liked most. My personal opinion is the suspension lifter and stereo to be 'necessary' options. Yours might be different, others on the forums will be different. At the end of the day, which car (and options) makes you the most happy?

5. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    My 812SF has the front lift, I use it all the time, for me it's must have (We have fairly high rounded curbs on our driveways). I haven't scrapped it on anything so far.
    On my 488 Spider it would scrape even with the lift up.
    Depending how long you're going to keep the car the resale maybe easier/quicker with a lift.
    (I didn't know there was a rear lift available, it wasn't offered when I order my 812GTS (Now I'm going to have to check on availability)).

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    This is really easy. Order a front suspension lifter on EVERY Ferrari or exotic you ever get. Always. Every time. You cannot predict the height of every speed hump nor the incline angle of every entrance to every petrol station or restaurant. Plus dozens of other use cases where the peace of mind of not having to worry about hearing that sickening crunch of spoilers against concrete is worth every penny and then some. It is easily the option for which you will say most often ‘thank god I have this on the car.” Will get used multiple times per drive.

Same with the JBL and same rule applies. ALWAYS get the highest spec audio system a manufacturer offers. Always. Every time. Because more often than not you’re driving on a highway or stuck in traffic. So for the 90% of drive time when you aren’t straining the sidewalls, you will appreciate a music system that actually has some heft to the bass and some richness to the sound.

DZ-96, Boomhauer, ANOpax and 3 others like this.
  7. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't have a lift on my 488 spider and 'sleeping policemen' etc are not a problem.I know there are a couple of British guys on here with 812's,no lift, who have confirmed that for them.
    I am collecting an 812 this week , it doesn't have a lift and I'm not concerned.
    Would I have it given the choice -yes, but it's no where near a deal breaker for me.
    I believe it can be retrofitted if necessary.
    regarding stereo - same again -yes, given the choice but not a deal breaker.
    The jbl system in the 488 isn't great and .as I intend to daily the 812, I may look into a decent aftermarket upgrade but time will tell.
    Happy shopping.

xBox likes this.
  8. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Thanks for all your replies guys. The posts pretty much concur with my thoughts beforehand. I'd be okay with either JBL or Lift missing but not both as they seem to be very desirable options on the 812. I have seen the actual original invoice on the Grigio Ferro car with the full spec and it clearly states it has Front and rear Suspension Lift . Its and Atelier car with an expensive £4k Special order option which might include the rear lift.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    The lift is a must for me , very easy to touch front spoiler but it is even worse when you go in multi flat parking place . If you don’t use front lift in that case you are touching underneath

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi John
    Never see a rear lift on an 812, I am certain it was not an option when I ordered my car.
    I found even with a front lift the bottom would scrap on the speed humps that are in the middle of the road [ not the ones that go all the way across]. Also when they collect the car for a service the lift takes all the worry about it going up the lorry ramps, also it is necessary at ports when going abroad, I found the 812 to be much lower than the f12 which would clear the speed humps in my village without a problem.
    JBL is a nice option, for me pass. display is a waist of time.
    Led lights on the steering wheel seem to be a must when resale time comes.
    Spec sheets can be wrong, my Portofino has factory fitted PPF that is not on the spec sheet.

MDEL likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe the GTC4 Lusso (and FF) is the only model where the lift operates on both axels. I think this is due to vehicle length. I don't think they need it for the 812. I have a feeling your dealer is just making a mistake. It gets easy to say F&R sensors, F&R cameras, and then you get to lift and write F&R. I'd love to learn this was an option if it in fact exists. Either way congratulations, you are making a great choice!

MDEL and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Can't argue with that and just added to my F8 build, which I hope is still open.

13. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    I'm speaking as an owner of an F12 but..

I live in London but also do a lot of miles all over the UK and I'd say that suspension lift is a must if you're going to drive the thing - possibly even more so if you plan to drive in Europe and then you'd be insane not to have it if you have the carbon front splitter. If its mostly going to sit in a garage - then you can perhaps do without and just be careful where you drive.

The stock speakers are rubbish and I would say as above, if you're going to drive the thing, the JBL is a must. The F12 I bought doesn't have the JBL but I bought it due to the rest of the spec and the options it had (over £75Ks worth). The stock speakers are so bad that I will be getting an aftermarket upgrade (recommendations from anyone welcome)

14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Thanks for the advice. It seems both Lift and JBL are very much 'nice to haves' if the rest of the car stacks up. As you say an 812 sitting in the garage has no use for either option which is a smart way of putting things in perspective.

sampelligrino and MDEL like this.
  15. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    I'm putting about 8k per annum on mine so the lifters are a must and the JBL would have been a bonus for the car I bought

16. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I had the lift on my F 12 and now on my 812. Agreed, along with the LED wheel, parking cameras, Soundsystem, I think these are the critical options. I frankly worry about carbon fiber bits, very expensive, getting destroyed, especially on the outside of the car.

sampelligrino, MDEL and wrs like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    50 kg is not much.
    Here's what you do.

Get the car with the options. They are nice, and it is hard to find words that describe how poor the standard hifi is.

Get a H6 50Ah Antigravity battery. That will save you 17 kg.

Then contact HRE and get a set of R101 Lightweight wheels in sto size with stock offset. I recon they can swing tose at around 18 lbs front and 19.5 rear. The weight of the cast 812 wheels are about 26 lbs front and 28 rear. Install those HRE's with Hill ti bolts and you have saved about 15 kg on wheels.

That's 32 kg off righ there. And 15 kg off of wheels is a lot. That is noticable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

If u are going to lower it I’d take it. My FF is lowered and I always use it as I have scraped it a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I’m an 812 owner in London. I would highly recommend the lift. I use it regularly and have never bottomed out. The JBL stereo is a must. Just my opinion but 812s look amazing in GF and the standard wheels. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

R J, Bmwatts, Thecadster and 5 others like this.
  20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    those are the optional forged TdF wheels. Close in weight to the lightweight forged HREs (20.5lbs front and 23lbs rear). They are lightest OE wheels you can get for the 812 and I think they look great on the car.

to the OP, get the Grigio car. The spec and colours sound much nicer than the Rosso car and you can keep the stock cast wheels for winter use and buy a set of the forged TdF wheels for summer use. Alternatively, if you don’t want to drive the car in winter, then keep the stock cast wheels for resale time and flog the forged wheels separately when the time comes - you’ll get a good chunk of your money back, especially if you buy well (there are some discounted sets on eBay).

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have the suspension lift on my F12 and I never remember needing to used it on a normal road. However, I used it at least three times while having to drive on very bumpy dirt roads. Then the system has avoided the front of the car touching the ground and that's the last thing you want to happen with an expensive carbon fibre spoiler.
    I enclose a scheme of the F12 lift system I saved some years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I highly recommend the lift. I am so weird about protecting my 812, I even paid up for them to install the protective guards that go under the front of the car.

23. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Definitely get lift! I have lift on mine. Made the mistake of not using it yesterday when exiting Cricket Green Close and joining Peper Harow Lane in Shackleford. I could see the angle change was moderate and would not trouble any normal car. But was on the on the border line of being something that would trouble the 812. Decided not to be a pansy as so many say you don’t even need lift. Bad move. Now need to get the small rubber air damn in front of the left side front wheel reattached.

This is the junction. So you can see what mild elevation change can trouble the 812. Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83 likes this.
  24. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
    You must. No way to protect car without it.

25. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    812 option list shows no rear lift available, only front lift.

Also for me, both options are a must have, mine has both and i'm happy to have them.

Daniel