fuel pumps leaking from the top center | FerrariChat

fuel pumps leaking from the top center

Discussion in '360/430' started by parkem, Nov 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    I took both fuel covers off and started the car and found both sides leaking.I took the ring lock off and removed the pumps ,could not see gaskets. can this be repaired or do you have to change them for new ones
    2005 f430 spider

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    your best bet and safest is to buy new , more Fcars catch on fire from leaking fuel pumps .
    Eurspares sells new ones only 320.57 each . Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'd probably swap them out if I was you. However, when I purchased mine, the day I picked it up, I was told they had discovered a leaking fuel pump the day before, and that their shop had sealed it with some kind of carbon based material. It was done at Highline European (shop) next to the Luxury Auto Collection in Scottsdale. Maybe they can tell you exactly what they did. It has been about 2 years, 2,000-3,000 miles and one track day since the work was done; and I have no issues so far (knock on wood). I also have a 2005 F430.

4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    This is apparently quite common on the 360 / 430 fuel pumps. VAF84 is right on the money. Many have done temporary repairs while waiting for parts to arrive (or to come off of backorder). Search this forum, you'll find a number of people have had success with JB Weld type products. Again; this is a temporary solution, but if applied correctly would likely be serviceable for many years. I filled one of mine so I could continue to drive while I waited for the replacement fuel pump to arrive, and then swapped it out.

5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you decide to repair them, be sure it is done right. I believe a few people have got this badly wrong and up she goes

7. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    I epoxied them yesturday afternoon, and will be starting it soon to see if they still leak. I will report later.I filled all 4 cavities like the previous picture in this thread.

sparetireless likes this.
  8. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    Started the car and drove around the block and let run for 10 minutes and so far no leaks

armedferret likes this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I guess if it’s only you driving this car... but I could not live with myself if a loved one or mechanic or valet got cooked due to a repair like this.

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Funny thing with some Fcar owners they will worry more about what kind of floor mats they have than the mechanical repairs and up keep .

RobinMasters and brookliner7 like this.
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Are you going to keep engine bay covers off ?
    If not ? you should and make sure you carry a fire extinguisher around in the front seat .

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Oh yea almost for got, if you ever have any fire damage and your ins company finds this blog they may not cover your loss .

13. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    I attached a fire ext,behind my seat last year and will keep my covers off for a couple of months

RANDY6005 likes this.
  14. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #14 Sj_engr, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Swap might be the best

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Further if a psgr perished lawyers would have a field day w a jb weld repair.

for $300 per side not worth it to me.

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I think I watched a YouTube video where the tank had to be dropped slightly on the driver side swap. Is that the same story for the passenger side fuel pump? Or since no fuel level it pulls straight up and out?

17. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    On the coupes there is a metal plate that has 15 6mm hex head bolts allowing the pump assembly to tilt sides ways for removal .
    Spiders do not they just left straight out allot easier to replace than coupes.
    Do not have drop fuel tank to remove fuel pump, and not to mention moving fuel tank around could cause damage and then motor and trans has to be removed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  19. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
  20. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #20 RedTaxi, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Sometime '07 onwards the tanks don't have the plate. The pump mounts directly to the tank. On coupes at least you have to move the fuel tank rearwards to get the pump up and out. Inner plastic wheel arch needs to come out to get to it. Not too bad, with a hoist. Tried gluing mine to no avail.
    Edit, just watched that vid above. That's what I had to do. Pre '07 is way easier. I don't think there is a difference in tanks between spider and coupe. Spider may be different to get them out?

21. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  22. psessa

psessa Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Perry Sessa
    I have a 2007 coupe without the metal plate that allows access to remove the pumps. Has anyone had success with just loosening the tanks?

23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I wouldn’t epoxy it unless I was stuck on a road trip and had no other option.

It’s a relief valve not serviceable and even if it was and you have the old pump in your hand to repair the valve just put a new pump in. the newer part is upgraded plastic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavlino and EastMemphis like this.
  24. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    And they are cheap.

Mike

cavlino and 360+Volt=Prius like this.
  25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes loosen the tank and move it rearwards enough to get the pump out.

cavlino likes this.