348 - Went to purchase a Lotus and left with a 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Went to purchase a Lotus and left with a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What an utterly fantastic story. Having owned both I’d say you’ll never regret your choice. Congrats and enjoy in good health!

greg328 likes this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its not a 1960's MG. People are so funny. 348's are quite reliable, there are issues, I'm dead sure your steering rack is shot and the passenger tire toe varies as you drive making it feel strange, various electronic sensors wear our after 10+ years but all that is a is DIY thing and all normal consumable part wear that is expected.

Generally they don't leave you stranded due to horrid engineering and baked in design reliability issues. There are a few key things to address but easily addressed.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Congrats!

Wait till you're a couple years down the road and really comfortable with it!

For a better driving position, get the Hill engineering steering wheel spacer. I'm 6'3" and got the 2" one, and it's perfect. there's also a 1" one available.

sjd

Donkeykong87 likes this.
  4. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    I've had both as well so I can tell you that you made the right choice. The Esprit is a cool car, but the 348 is just so much better.

cnpapa24 and Donkeykong87 like this.
  5. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    What would be the tell-tale for the steering rack? The steering felt quite nice on the drive home.

6. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    The goal is to have both one day. The other stall on my garage has an AP1 S2000. While people like to dog on it for being "gutless" or a "girls car" I've owned 3 now and it's just a fantastic, beautiful, vehicle. I can jump in it and drive to California right now and not have a worry in my mind. I find it to be the perfect compliment to the 348 actually. I don't have to worry about it being "down" at all for maintenance. I'll never be disappointed on a beautiful spring day, if I'm working on the 348 I'll simply jump in this and enjoy the 9,000 redline!

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    1. find a gravel road, drive slow...it'll clunk like crazy from the right front. I just did mine.
    2. on left turns on a twisty road, it won't feel planted, you'll have to correct as you're turning
    3. it'll vibrate or feel vague on the highway.

@Ferrarium had a great thread on taking the rack out, just searching here on "348 steering rack" should turn up a wealth of know how.

sjd

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #33 Ferrarium, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020

I have never checked one that did not do this to "some" degree. Mine was exactly like that one, BAD and and you could hear the clunk in the car as well which is a dead giveaway. Some cars just have play but it will only get worse over time.

So I did the whole front end and other things like shock bushings etc and it is amazing now, like factory fresh steering. Reminds me of my sons Rotax race kart.

When the rack is worn (the bushing disintegrates over time its plastic) when your driving and you turn the wheel to change lanes it seems to not want to react and then it over reacts and the faster you go the scarier it gets. On the highway that is windy and changing lanes it feels like a death trap. Once fixed the car is like a g8d damn go kart its So fun around the suburbs even at 30mph, just toss it around a corner and kick the back out. Its good fun even at slow speeds. The newer cars lack that.

I have read people buying 348's and hating how they drove so they sold them. I am dead sure this is why so every time I see a new purchase I mention it. All the front end stuff is quite easy to DIY any auto parts store or HF has the pullers needed.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/started-348-steering-rack-rebuild.591467/

steved033 likes this.
  9. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Wow...mine doesn't have any of that stuff going on! There's zero sound from the front end, doesn't wander a bit, is extremely precise. I would have noticed the things mentioned, it's razor sharp.

steved033 and Qavion like this.
  10. J360M

J360M Karting

Nov 29, 2018
    Great story, beautiful 348. Pound for pound, the most rewarding Ferrari (if setup right).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Congratulations and great story.

white is rare! Enjoy in good health!

(not sure what all the chat about steering is. Mine is lovely, one of the best attributes of the car, but I have fully rebuilt the suspension and had the ride height and tracking done at my main dealer as they can be sensitive.)

12. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Pfft, they're meant to be driven, from my experience with owning my 348 for 10 months, they seem to be a very reliable car as long as they are serviced and well maintained....
    And, they don't melt in the rain either!!

13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    How good are S2000’s! I have owned 3 over the last 16 years. Amazing cars very hard to beat for the driving experience at the price point and well above it too! A perfect companion to the stallion.

14. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Post up a pic of the interior? PM the VIN or post. Still wondering if this was owned by me. I sold mine in PA nearly 29 years ago.

15. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    What’s your name, I have all the records.

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What, it doesn't show up as MeestahBig? haha.

17. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    LOL...yes it does actually. It was in Oregon to begin with and then was down in Jupiter Florida before Pennsylvania.

18. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Ok, cool... was not my car! Love the white! Good luck with it. I've had my yellow 94 348 20 years. Absolutely rock solid. Car drives like new.

19. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I’m glad to hear that! That’s what I’m going for, something I can enjoy, work on and HOPEFULLY turn into an heirloom.

My wife and I were adding up the cars I’ve had in the last 21 years we’ve been married and I’m at 37. Perhaps this will be one of the last for a while.

OCKlasse and steved033 like this.