Advice on Pre-Owned Cali T ? | FerrariChat

Advice on Pre-Owned Cali T ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by drcollie, Nov 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I've been looking hard at this Cali T in Minnesota, would like to try a Ferrari and am currently in a 2014 Carrera S Cab. it's a far piece from Virginia, and there are no Cali T's in the Wash DC area for sale, I've never driven one (Ferrari Dealer has a Portofino Demonstrator which I have not tried). Price seems good, any particular nuances on the 2016 model? Carfax (supplied by them) looks good. Any thoughts?

https://www.woodburyautosales.com/used-vehicle-2016-ferrari-california-t-c-7/

2. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013

Wheels1 likes this.
  3. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I bought a 2011 Cali in 2017. Have put 20k miles + on it since purchase and still love it. Portofino is more powerful and better techNology. Buy the car if you like it and get the warranty. Drive it all the time. KEEP IT ON AN AFTERMARKET BATTERY TENDER.

tomc, ferrari52000 and russellmcg like this.
  4. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    You won’t look back, the Cali t blows away the Carrera S. Check for sticky buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc and russellmcg like this.
  5. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I moved from a 911 to a similar tdf blue Cali T. Gorgeous color. The only negative is no Ferrari warranty that might be available on a certified pre owned car from a Ferrari dealer.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks like TdF blue. Great color. Car appears to have been originally sold through Boardwalk Ferrari. Maybe reach out to Steve Fordham, service director & F-chatter, and see if he can run the VIN and find any service records, if you do not have those?

Good luck...T

russellmcg likes this.
  7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A little light on options, but low miles, looks fabulous, well cared for and great price!
    Write the check,
    Enjoy the ride!

8. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Service Contact Us
    The Two-Part Ferrari Warranty
    Each new Ferrari includes the following warranty coverage:

• Three-year / unlimited-mileage factory warranty (extendable to 5 years with bumper-to-bumper coverage)
    • Seven-year free maintenance program
    All repairs and maintenance must of course be performed by trained technicians at an Authorized Ferrari Dealer to ensure compliance with the warranty and maintenance programs.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can an F-car still qualify for the extended warranty if purchased out of network, as long as it passes an inspection?
    T

10. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    My understanding is that you would have to pay for it to be inspected to pass. I am sure someone much smarter than I am though knows the answer.

11. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
  12. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    The first one is very light on options. I would pass on that. The second one is well-optioned with good mileage. Remember that you will need to add $6300 to the price for the New Power warranty, which is an absolute must, imo.

In July, I paid $139k for a 2016 Cali T in TdF Blu/Cuoio with 15k miles and the 2 year New Power warranty. The options on my car are extensive, pretty much everything except CarPlay. Sticker price was $290k. It had everything I wanted: full power seats, Magneride, even the diamond stitching on the seats.

If you are patient, you can find the car that ticks all the boxes. My advice is to not settle just because you're really excited. Get the color combo and options that you are going to be happy with. And get the warranty!

Attached Files:

alex, Avia11 and russellmcg like this.
  13. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I just want to make one more post about the warranty. I got my car in July from Ferrari of Denver. It was a CPO car. Everything was great (barring the front camera damaged in shipping). In August, the car said it was time for its annual service. I took it into Ferrari of Seattle and during the service, they discovered an oil leak. To fix that required dropping the engine. When they did that, they discovered a few other issues. The service record with the details of the work was several pages long. All of it was covered by the warranty. Out of pocket, it would have been north of $15k. My dream-come-true could easily have been ruined.

So again, wait and find the Cali T you really want and make sure you get the New Power warranty. I'll step off my soapbox now.

russellmcg likes this.
  14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    That's interesting ... it surprises me that Ferrari of Denver did not find the leak during the CPO inspection, but I get the impression that the CPO inspections are not always as thorough as the checklist implies. Nice to hear that they covered everything, as the warranty does have a disclaimer saying "oil seals and oil leaks not covered" on a lot of the major components ... this is the text from the brochure:

• Engine: crankcase and all internal components thereof, cylinder heads and valvetrain, oil radiators, head gaskets, oil sump and oil pump, variable valve timing adjusters, solenoid valve (oil seals and oil leaks not covered), ionising ECU.
    • Ignition/Injection systems: Oxygen sensors, secondary air system (secondary air system pump and valves only).
    • Mechanical gearbox/F1 gearbox: gearbox casing and differential housings, including all internal components.
    • F1 Power Unit: electric pump, valves; actuator, ECU, selected and engaged gear sensor (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • DCT gearbox: gearbox and all internal components, ECU (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Power Transmission Unit: ECU; clutch (rubber boots excluded).
    • PTU: all internal components (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Suspension and steering: complete steering box, suspension arm joints, power steering pump (excluding drive belt), toe-in tie-rods, ECU for controls on steering wheel (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Cooling system: water pumps, fans (leaks not covered).
    • Air conditioning/heating: AC system control devices, AC compressor and climate control ECU.
    • Electrical system: alternator, starter motor, ignition coil, engine ECU, transmission ECU, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, power window motors.
    • Fuel and induction system: injectors, throttle bodies, air flow sensor, intake manifold, pressure regulator, temperature sensors, fuel pipes, fuel pumps.
    • Brake system: hydraulic brake pump, brake pressure regulator and servo.
    • Bodywork: RHT roof function (wear, bodywork and paint defects, seals and water infiltration not covered).
    Labor relative to the removal/installation and replacement of the aforementioned components.

russellmcg likes this.
  15. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    It was a leak in the head gasket, which is covered.

I don't know if Ferrari of Denver knew about it and didn't tell me, or they didn't know. I give them the benefit of the doubt because the problem might have arisen after I took delivery of the car.

vjd3 and russellmcg like this.
  16. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    -1 Oil seals and oil leaks are not covered with Power Warranty (my previous Cali 30 was under Power warranty)
    Next car,
    -2 I have bought from a Porsche Center a pre-owned 17 Cali T HS in 2017, after 3 years Bumper to Bumper Ferrari warranty I was able to extend it by 1year more, and at the end of this year I will be allowed again to exend by 1 year more (I will have 5 years bumper to bumper Ferrari warranty possible, 3+1+1 extended).
    This is possible if your car have had a regular service by a Ferrari dealer since the first one.
    No inspection was needed because Ferrari knows all the datas.
    The price of the Extended Bumper to Bumper (5 years max) is very close than the Power warranty one.
    If your car is under Power Warranty you can't return to Bumper to Bumper one.
    This is my experience.
    Hope it helps

17. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    That is correct. In my case, the oil leak was a result of a bad head gasket, which was covered.

18. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Totally agree on options. I too am in the market for (preferably) blue Cali T for my wife and I too considered that car in MN but between the light options, carpet color, etc it just wasn't right. I highly recommend following the advice of others here that rightfully say WAIT and simply be patient for the exact right car for you. There are SO many options, color combos, miles, condition etc that can really vary the price of any F car. Same year, same car can have as much as a 30-50% swing in price based on condition, color, options, etc. Some want higher mile cars for less and are ok with risk on being out of warranty. Some want <10k miles, warranty, etc. It really depends on what your risk tolerance and budget is. I've spent upwards of a year or more looking for the right car before, and both times I was close to settling on something that was ok, but didn't blow my socks off and in the end, I was glad my wife pushed me to be more patient because in the end, I would have been SO pissed if I got an ok F car and then the car I really wanted came up for sale. Last comment would be that all this **** are first world problems, and life is short, so if you do find something you like, get it, don't look back and just enjoy it as much as possible. These cars are meant to be DRIVEN! No one looks back on their death bed thinking, if I had only left the Ferrari in the garage more lol. Best of luck. PM me if I can help!....Eric

alex likes this.
  19. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    LOL, yes that carpet color and contrast stitch in that MN car is.......well.......and acquired taste shall we say. I don't mind a car with mileage, in fact I actually prefer it because cars that sit get deteriorating seals and gaskets, that are starved of lubrication and dry out - then leak. This is why 599's all have shock issues, people don't drive them and they all leak, being a costly fix.

I really like the Portofino best, but those are still pricey with the oldest ones being 2019. I may should sit and wait it out - but them again I'm 66 years old and one can't wait too long. Thanks!
    Duane

lucasines and russellmcg like this.
  20. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    No point in waiting! Go get yourself one of these cars and enjoy the hell out of it! You will be happy no matter what in the end.

21. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I'm curious about the MN car's carfax listing it as "Government Owned".

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Listen to McG!
    Which Ferrari to buy is like a multiple choice quiz with no wrong answers! :D
    T

russellmcg likes this.
  23. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  24. Jussi

Jussi Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Jussi
    I requested more info about this a while back as I’m helping my dad to find a Cali T. We passed it as it is unfortunately light with options. Has ventilated full electric seats, shields, yellow calipers & rev. counter, deviated stitching and not much else. Have not seen pics of it.

SLViper1 likes this.
  25. FerrariBeev

FerrariBeev Rookie

May 21, 2020
    why do you say use an aftermarket battery tender? I have a 2017 Cali T and I am using the one that came with the car.