F430 Battery recommendation? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Battery recommendation?

Discussion in '360/430' started by mjz, Aug 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 34R is the wrong battery and this is about to get resolved. The governing body for automotive batteries will soon be notifying vendors of this error and it will be corrected industry wide. I have been working with Odyssey and will be producing a thread with my experience. The correct battery is the series 48. Do not buy a 34R. Not only is it the wrong battery, but to make it "work", there is a danger of grounding out the terminals to the hold down bracket. The threaded rods are also too short.

2. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wrong battery, and your hold down strap is in the wrong location.

3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #28 Way2fast, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Can you give me an actual model number to purchase? I did find this https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli48agmdp or this https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Battery-48-720/dp/B077SXXWHD/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=odyssey+series+48+battery&qid=1552269382&s=automotive&sr=1-1-fkmrnull
    There is this Interstate battery https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtz-48/h6?productLine=auto&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

4. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes, group 48 is correct. Make sure you get an AGM battery. I would suggest Odyssey. I have them in my vehicles and they have been very reliable. I have no affiliation with Odyssey.

5. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 caymangone, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Yep. The strap is down from where it should be but where its at, you can't budge the battery and the strap isn't coming loose. I've checked on it twice since installing it 3 months ago and several bumpy drives. According to the Interstate website, the 48 is only 3/8 inch shorter in height overall than the 34 but the casing around the posts is maybe shorter even . All I know is the 34 is not going to budge, I have plenty of clearance between the top posts and any metal, and not that it makes any difference, I have 70 more cold cranking amps than the 48!

6. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It does appear that the physical properties (ribs) on this battery allows for this type of attachment . It is, however, not the proper way to secure the battery and in a collision may come loose. It's unfortunate that the industry has been calling for the wrong battery for such an extended amount of time. The 48 is shorter as you say but, the posts are also recessed and the attachment point for the strap is much lower. Also on the 48 the posts are further back from the face of the battery ensuring the strap makes no contact between terminals.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm probably going to replace my battery this week, any updates on the latest batteries? I rarely drive my F430 and I keep it tendered on a CTEK 4.3 trickle charger. I noticed that BatteriesPlus now recommends the Optima Redtop 34R as mentioned by Tom (@Nine9Three) last year. I noticed they also offer an Extreme version for double the price. I doubt that is necessary, but anyone want to weigh in on that one?

I looked at Bosch, however it's not available in my area, and seems to have a lower CCA. I'm not sure if it would be any better either. Duracell is the cheapest, but doesn't look like AGM so I'll probably pass. I don't think there's likely to be a difference between Interstate and Optima, but maybe someone can weigh in.

Here's what I've found so far (leaning towards Optima red top):

Optima (AGM):
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/ferrari/f430/2006/v8-4.3l-760cca
    Red top: $259.99 (10% discount offered) - 36 month warranty, CCA 800
    Extreme: $399.99 (10% discount offered) - 48 month warranty, CCA 850

Duracell Ultra (not AGM?):
    $159.99 - (10% discount offered) - 36 Month warranty, CCA 800

Bosch:
    S6 - sold out
    $229.99 (Walmart) - 750 CCA, 48 month warranty

Interstate (AGM):
    https://www.interstatebatteries.com/product-search-results
    $270.95 Suggested Retail - 800 CCA, 48 month warranty

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #33 flash32, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    The last two batteries i purchased were redtop from advanced auto ..with their discounts after core charges it ended up being a little over 200 delivered

I know some dislike the optima but i have been using them in a few of my different cars for over 10 years including a scud and a few vettes ..as long as I keep charger on them they seem to last at least 5 to 7 years
    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for sharing @flash32 . How often did you have to replace them, four years?

I think that's the way I have to go since it appears to be the only option I have available in my area. I called around and everything else is either on back order, not carried, or sold out. In Baton Rouge at the Batteries Plus the Optima is $260 out the door if I return my old battery.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Over four years for sure but it is important to keep fully charged ( connected to a tender when not it use)

They don't seem to tolerate discharge and charge well

Can you mail order from advanced auto ?

VAF84 likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Glad you mentioned that, yes, I can have it mail ordered, same price as Batteries Plus. Maybe a $1-2 difference, but I'll probably go that route for convenience. Going forward it will be on the tender full time so that should keep this from happening again. I'm not sure how old the current battery is, but it was feeling a bit weak if it didn't come right off the tender.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    They usually have 25% percent off coupons if you sign up .. something to consider

VAF84 likes this.
  13. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I have never had any luck with optima batteries in general, including the red top. One discharge and they're dead for good. However, I have always had good experiences with Interstate batteries. That's what came in my F430 over four years ago and that's what I'll get when it needs replaced.

whatheheck and VAF84 like this.
  14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima red tops generally suck. Mine leaked and when I posted pictures a while back, several others chimed in with pictures of their Optima red top leaking, so apparently it was not an isolated event.
    I have also seen posts both here and other forums that the Optima Red Top has a trait that is unusual for an AGM battery, that is if you let a red top discharge down a bunch, it will either kill it, or it will not recover fully. Most AGM are pretty resistant to failure from discharging it.

The Interstate AGM is top rated by consumer reports...I'd go that route if given the choice.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is another problem with Optima red top, they do not handle a discharge well, which is the opposite attribute of an AGM battery. Strange. Why spend top dollar on a red top and have to baby and monitor it just like a flooded battery? (granted you should probably always keep a Ferrari on a battery tender)

16. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I had my finger on the trigger for Optima, but starting to back away now. However, I'm struggling to find an Interstate Battery that fits the F430 in this area (MTZ-34R). I'm pretty sure the battery I have now is an Interstate. Didn't notice the brand when I was down there, but I know the bottom is white, and I think the top is black. I'll do a little more looking around, otherwise I'm going to stick with Optima based on availability.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Like i mentioned above.. i am not in the popular crowd when it comes to the red top .. but the original battery which was a red top in the scud lasted 9 years and have purchased at least 6 for different cars and never had an issue as long as I never let it discharge completely

But to be fair I have heard very good things about the interstate which i only have one in my 512tr ..it is very old and started to leak by the term ..time for a new one

My indie also likes the interstate btw

VAF84 likes this.
  18. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I've had to replace a red top under warranty two times in a 996TT. The F430 came with an Audi battery installed.

VAF84 likes this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #44 whatheheck, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    I have been using Interstate with zero issues.

Just like any battery though, they only last about 4 -5 years so to avoid electrical issues or getting stranded somewhere I dont push my luck and replace them preventively once 4 years is up. I just add a reminder to my Google calendar.

I had Interstate on my 360 Spider, F430 Spider. Very happy with them. No issue whatsoever.

I now have a 2016 Cali T and before I took possession the dealer replaced the original battery with = Interstate AGM.

My vote is Interstate AGM.

Dan

f355spider and VAF84 like this.
  20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I read that Optima was sold some time ago and that they are no longer the original quality they once were. I use AGM batteries in my boat and have a house bank of them. Game changing in boating. They are lifetime brand. I am unsure if they make them for 430 application but when I need one I will look there first and then to Interstate. I used interstate as a go to in my other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  21. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Installed the Optima red top Optima Redtop Battery (34R, 800CCA) last night. No issues installing myself, and it replaced an old interstate black top battery. My F430 was noticeably better upon startup. We'll see how long it lasts under minimum driving and full time tendering. No issues getting the j-hooks/bracket back on and it is held firmly in place.

f355spider and flash32 like this.
  22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The more recent issues is leaking. As I mentioned, it seems to be a more and more common problem. And surprising, as the supposed benefits of AGM is no liquids.
    Sorry I didn't link to my thread about this:https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/optima-red-top-34r-battery-not-recommended.614536/#post-146966456
    There are pictures of my leaking, and a service tech posted one of his customers cars.

I would recommend annual inspections to catch the problem early. Heck, maybe you get lucky and never experience this.

whatheheck likes this.
  23. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for sharing. After seeing this, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. At this time I didn't have a choice, Interstate is on back order, and when I called both the Baton Rouge and New Orleans facilities, they seemed a bit surprised by the model number; like they rarely stocked it.

24. Melon767

Melon767 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2017
    Newnan GA
    Full Name:
    Bob Dean

25. Melon767

Melon767 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2017
    Newnan GA
    Full Name:
    Bob Dean
    Damn, fat fingered the wrong button when quoting. Anyway... had the same issue with the recommended interstate being on back order. Found an interstate H6/48 AGM at Costco. Only about $160 and it fit my 08 430 perfectly. Working great so far.