Where to go after 458? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Where to go after 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Evo X, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    McLaren 675LT

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 458 marked the end of the analog Ferraris. The trend with all modern super cars has been focused on objective excellence with the concommitant emphasis on comfort, refinement and ease of drivability. For those who place greater preference on a rawer, more engaging driving experience, cars like 488, 720S , while stellar performers, may be found lacking in emotion which is frequently the collateral damage to the grind of technological progress. Turbo power plants, while offering massive amounts of power, push cars away from individual personalities and towards conformity. The last of the NA , immersive and unfiltered super cars at present are represented by the Ferrari V12s and the Lamborghini Performante and EVO RWD. The EVO RWD, sacrifices technical, objective capabilities, with a thrill factor, and playfulness arguably unmatched by any other and at an attractive price. The Performante is noticeably more capable, and faster and still possesses a high degree of excitement.

All super cars offer extremely high levels of performance, but they exhibit differing driving dynamics and personalities which may or may not suit a particular preference. Driving them is essential in order to make a satisfying purchasing decision that will comport with one's preferences and priorities.

nickorette, Graz, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  3. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I think the 458 can only be considered analog in a relative sense. The last vestige of analog design left after the 355 and 550.

Rexcat458, VS2K and LVP488 like this.
  4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are so many good choices to go from 458 like the Speciale, Pista, 765LT, 675LT, Huracan Perfomante or EVO RWD, newest iteration of the 3RS the list can be long. As a 458 owner not hating on the 458 but it is borderline ignorant to say there is not both better sounding, performing and feeling cars today vs the 458 if you care to spend som extra cash :)

MANDALAY, Bmwatts, Surfah and 3 others like this.
  5. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    I love my 488 but my Ford Mustang Gt350 has been hands down my most favorite car I’ve owned.

JAhmed likes this.
  6. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    I was a co-driver in a speciale a short distance and I hate the sports seat belts in it, I would rather have the "normal" 458, that has normal seat belts .

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't like the looks of the Huracan, the last pretty Lambo was the Gallardo.

XselR8 likes this.
  8. dalaalsingh

dalaalsingh Rookie

Nov 19, 2017
    I'm interested in your 458 if you are selling. DM me. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N970U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Geoff Clark

Geoff Clark Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Geoff Clark
    Have you tested a Speciale or Pista. If not I think that should be your next move.
    Iv'e had my 458 4years it's a keeper & is just perfect for me. The only other car I would change it for would be a Gordon the purist Murray T50. But they were sold out in 48hrs though they're a bit pricey, but worth every cent. Think MacLaren F1 next level. YouTube for a Murray appraisal.

xfrgtr likes this.
  10. ChairmanJohn

ChairmanJohn Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    Bucks UK
    I drove my 458 Spider home from the factory in 2013 and still love it. Sure the F8 will be faster but somehow the 458 has a special character - maybe it's the engine note? I still think it still looks wonderful with such pure lines and I'm sure it will go down in history as one of the greats. About the time I collected my 458, I had the chance to drive an F12 on the road and compared to the 458 I thought it just too big UNTIL I took the Sport driving course at Fiorano where for two days we jumped from 458 to F12 to 458 and were continually told "More Gas, More Gas!" by the instructors. It was then I realised what an amazing machine the V12 car was and so much more powerful. I couldn't wait for my next turn in the F12 it was so good (the 458 was fantastic too!). Last year I bought a SF and my GTS arrived last week and it's incredible. Now I own the last of the n/a V8's and V12's - they look magnificent and sound magnificent - do I need more? For me they are keepers with no hybridisation to ever worry about (only fuel availability.......).

Graz and xfrgtr like this.
  11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What makes a 458 more "analog" than a 488 or F8? If your answer is turbo's that is not the answer....Turbo's are not digital and have been in use in performance cars for decades as you all well know...

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i prefer the racing seats ,to me they feel more comfy than reg seats

13. Pinab7

Pinab7 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Veranth
    Another vote for the 458. It is my first Ferrari but I can't imagine selling it. It is a 2014 Italia bought in 2018 with only 3K miles. My must haves were CF seats and wheel. I have had other sports cars and I have tracked Formula Dodges and Radicals. The driving experience just seems so pure, and the electronics, which you don't feel until you need them, are sublime. I will drive an F8, but I just cant believe the experience merits double the current value of the 458.

Rexcat458 and xfrgtr like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If you're after value for money you could consider the 488 - I know there are many turbo haters but at current prices, marginally higher than 458 ones, you get a lot more power, performance and technical refinements. There is more difference between a 458 and a 488 (performance-wise) than between a 488 and an F8, and on the other hand the price gap is far smaller.

Boomhauer and mdrums like this.
  15. Pinab7

Pinab7 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Veranth
    The lines on the 488 don't do it for me. The F8 is a little better.

xfrgtr and dustman like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Curious what your list would look like?
    Performante, GT500, SVJ, Pagani, LaFfer, TDF, ...?

xfrgtr likes this.
  17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That mustache front end on the 458 always looked way awkward to me! Kinda silly really.. The looks and performance of the 488 is stellar! The looks and performance of the F8 is spectacular!

18. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    I moved from a 430 to a 458 to a F12. As the last Pininfarina-designed Ferrari, with a naturally aspirated v12, I’ll add that I just love every minute in the F12. It’s more of a daily driver car, still handles well and is definitely more comfortable than the 458. But extremely exciting to drive. At times I miss the exhaust note of the 458 - never driven or owned any else that sounded as good as stomping on the 458. But otherwise the F12 is every bit as fun, beautiful and rewarding to own. Driving a Roma this weekend to consider adding to the garage, but the the F12 isn’t going anywhere. I’ve never drive an 812 BTW, but would consider it with an open mind. Just find it LESS exciting visually, and feel NO NEED for an upgrade at the moment. I’ve always thought the ultimate test of a car is whether you would miss it when it’s gone, so please make sure you like the turbocharged direction before jumping into that pool. So far I’m naturally aspirated all the way - and loving every minute.

day355 and Tarek307 like this.
  19. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Nothing even remotely close in price can compete with the viceral sound of the Ferrari 458! The best sounding car for the money ever made.

20. JAhmed

JAhmed Rookie

Nov 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jibran
    I already bought his car

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  21. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I thought I was the only one that felt this way. The 458 is the OG. Every mid-engine variant since has just been an (arguably) better version of the 458, including the F8.

My road has been 360 Modena -> F430 Spider -> 458 Italia -> Testarossa -> 355 Spider -> 488 GTB -> FF -> 458 Italia -> 458 Spider -> 488 Pista -> 488 Spider. Still have the 488 Spider & Testarossa. Should have never sold the 355 Spider. I loved the Pista - but I really wanted a Spider again - so around we go.

I have an F8 spider on order but not really 100% on it. I've resisted the temptation to any of the other "dark sides" (except Porsche, which to me doesn't count, of which I've owned most recently a 991 GT3 and a 992 Cab) - although I'll admit the 600LT Spyder is looking appealing.

22. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    F12 or 430 Scuderia

23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Get an f430 spider... a step back in variant, of course, but that rear engine glass, that engine sound...perfection ( to me).

Enjoy the search.. looking forward to seeing what you get

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DOWORKFCAR and JAhmed like this.
  24. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Speciale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evo3 and Tarek307 like this.
  25. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    458 speciale. Big enough difference from 458 Italia and still the thrill of a NA V8 Ferrari!

plastique999 and ferrarifam like this.