'89 US 328 GTS, time capsule of the day: 900 miles on the odo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'89 US 328 GTS, time capsule of the day: 900 miles on the odo

Discussion in '308/328' started by nerofer, Oct 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They are mechanically undriveable in so far as everything being original.

For example, 31 year old fuel hoses that someone has been letting that ethanol gas just sit in. LOL. I'll just stop there.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As I stated previously, all of those items (hoses, gaskets, etc.) are easily replaced. They are common maintenance elements that any car that age would have done. I would take a pristine time capsule over a car with tens if thousands of miles of wear and tear (both needing the aforementioned items replaced) any day.

NYC Fred and Rifledriver like this.
  3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    At this point it is not a car, it is art.

comparing it to running vehicles doesn’t make sense to me.

If you like this kind of art, buy it. It’s not like they can make another one.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But you are missing the point of paying a premium for a 900 mile example.

Pay 4X the market value of a very very nice well maintained good driver example, put a minimum of $10,000 in it to be able to use it (and I will stand by that VERY conservative number until the day I die), start driving it and watch that extra $100,000 you spent for a car you actually want to use go straight down the ****hole.

Hey, it's your money.

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Not missing the point at all. You said you can't drive it. Of course you can drive it. And, again, you're equating a car like this to a neglected barn find, which clearly it isn't. I can't say if it's road ready or not, but it seems to be have had very regular maintenance and in very good shape. There are many that would prize a car like this - obviously, because they sell for a premium. On the other hand, if one wants to drive a 328 regularly, and perfection isn't a priority to them, than they should by something else.

430tdf and Rifledriver like this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hey, I was very clear. If you want to blow 100 large destroying the one feature on these things that make them special, that's your business.

Godspeed.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I never said I was bidding on the car. I already have my 328 that I’m very happy with. I do think this car looks like a special buy for some lucky owner. Hope to see it at a great concours in the future.

Rosey likes this.
  8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    A good buy for Brewster's Millions (classic movie reference)

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Impeccable documentation (as always).

Do you have a similar list for cars built prior to Mr. Ferrari’s passing away? Particularly, I am curious if there are 308s that meet your criteria. I have never heard of any.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, sorry, Brian. I took that "date" as a kind of turning point, because after August 1988, buying cars and putting them immediately on a shelf became suddenly much more frequent. I know of one 328 here and there before that month that could qualify, but these are very rare, whereas after August 1988 there are many (and my guess is that there are still others left, unknown to us because they are not driven, so nobody see these).
    As for 308s, can't remember any; perhaps the one and only GTB QV that was sold new in East Germany, I have to research for that one.

Rgds

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #36 Rosey, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    I look at these undriven time capsules and often see the original 30 year old tyres on the car. They often advertise the original date stamped Goodyear Eagles on it... and right there is the problem.

You will pay a significant premium for a time capsule but if you wanted to actually drive it and use it the first thing you would have to do is throw those hard, cracked tyres in the bin thus reducing it's originality.

Then replacing all the date stamped rubber hoses to 2020 stamped versions... more originality gone.

More and more components get changed as you restore parts of the car damaged not by neglect but lack of use.

Before you know it, it's no longer a miraculous, period correct museum reference piece that you paid all that money for, but it's been relegated back to a mere moral, lovely example 328.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That is why I said these cars have to be pushed around and looked at only. Never driven. From a practical and investment viewpoint there in no logic in ever buying one unless you just have THAT much money to spend and lose and don't care.

JCR and Rosey like this.
  13. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    This is a fun discussion. If you go back and look at the photographs, this car is certainly not in immaculate concours condition. So the idea is basically that someone will pay a $100,000 or $125,000 premium for low mileage, not pristine condition. When I mentioned that I sold a 1959 car in 2012 with 125,000 miles on it in "immaculate" condition, that was questioned. The engine was totally rebuilt in 1969 at 75,000 miles and the seats and carpets were redone and the car was repainted in 1975. The remainder of the interior was original and pristine and overall, the car was in equal or better condition than the 328 offered for sale and, in addition, was in excellent running condition with fresh "period" rubber. I did not mention it, but the broker offered it as "a time capsule," the buyer paid a premium and, eight years later, he is still very pleased with his purchase. It was just a well used car in magnificent condition. We know that some people buy cars for investment and some people buy them to drive and/or work on. I'm a great believer in people choosing their own course and buying what appeals to them. (I once bid a ridiculous amount of money on a 1967 Triumph Bonneville, still new in the crate. Fortunately, I did not win the auction.) Many, many years ago I learned automobile mechanics from an owner of an SJ Duesenberg. It was in great condition, but he drove it, a lot, including to shows. It was always interesting to see the Duesenbergs which were trailered to shows and some that were never removed from the trailer. You had to go inside to view them. Each to his/her own.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You raise some good points. Very often I see these time capsules with extremely low miles with varying degree of damage. Stone chips on cars with less then 500 miles, wear and tear on 1,000 mile examples is not uncommon.
    My 18,000 km car has less wear on it then most of the time capsules I have seen. I can't understand these extremely low mileage cars sometimes !!??!!

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ah...hummm...well...What about ANOTHER ONE? (No flak please, I'm not baiting...)
    Does it qualify with 3.900 miles on the odo? Late built US GTS:

https://www.cncexotics.com/inventory.aspx?_search=82778

Rgds

16. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If a vehicles look doesn't fit the claimed mileage (stone chips, seat wear etc.) is it really a time capsule or a car with a disconnected odometer?

Rosey likes this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I think that's exactly right. Either a disconnected odometer or one that's been wound back would explain the inconsistent damage and/ or wear.

18. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Regarding the '89 - it looks nice, but with all those pretty pictures, none of the underside??? I once made a tentative deal to buy a 360 in similar condition - until we put it on a lift for the pre-purchase inspection.

19. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Movie spoiler alert!!

In the movie Brewster's Millions, he buys a postage stamp and has to somehow make it worthless. What's he do? Mails it.

If I had oodles of $$ I'd buy this car and drive it like it was meant to be driven. Simultaneously making large groups happy and sad. :)

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Not too sure what this red light is for (alarm possibly) but needs to be removed to restore back to factory correct spec- time capsule or not. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Bruno,
    books are available ? Tolls are complete ? Serice history before 2020 ?
    I think that serious buyer would like to know more about it before biding, no ?

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It has to be for an alarm system.

Rosey likes this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...in a way, you're got your answer now: $ 195.000.

Rgds

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This one beats all existing records, and by a large margin:

An true "time warp" Euro GTB, with....145 kilomètres on the odometer: or: about 90 miles.
    Nero Daytona / Rosso leather / Rosso carpets
    And...hold on to your hats, guys: 334.999 euros asked.
    Wow; just wow...

A big "thank you" to the best spotter of us all for the link (Danke noch eimals, Matthias!)

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=348879441&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=creationTime&sortOption.sortOrder=DESCENDING&ref=srp&searchId=278d4fb5-9558-f547-4738-aae3274b7baa

Rgds

Rosey likes this.