Help expansion tank empty | FerrariChat

Help expansion tank empty

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sonfield, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    1988 testatrissa
    All I can say is I haven’t checked levels since got car.... so don’t know llevels in tank before. You will see the pictures below. I went on a normal drive today about 10 miles. Never had any problems. Temperatures were fine about 195. To 200. All radiator fans were on. Nothing going on. When I finish the drive I kept the car on it was a little bit of an angle. And through the expansion overflow tube came some radiator fluid Looked in tank after the car cooled off and it was nearly empty see pictures below. Any ideas. Except the obvious that it is empty but why would it drain in the expansion if it was near empty
    Again I’m not a mechanical guy. So don’t send me on a thread chase or blast me for not knowing the mechanics. Just looking for some help. And if I refill it Just fill it with antifreeze? I’ve read some threads about mixing water with it? Thank you in advance. See pictures below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 8269890

2. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    In the garage there’s never been a drip or anything. And I witnessed this come out just gently out of the expansion overflow tube

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No need to panic yet -- just refill the system (cold) with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and anti-freeze (or even something like 65% distilled water/35% anti-freeze if not in a cold climate) to the level shown in the OM. If it still pukes a lot, and often, at warm shut-off, the first test would be to confirm if the radiator cap is working correctly. Also, wouldn't hurt to confirm both radiator fans are running well when stationary at warm idle -- just stick your hand in front of each rear wheel when the fans are running to get a "feel" of the airflow on each side for temperature and volume.

PS Also, intentionally run the heater after topping the coolant up to make sure that that system has coolant in it.

Qavion, EZORED, turbo-joe and 2 others like this.
  4. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Thank you so much.I’ve read your information before such an asset to this community. I really appreciate it I’ll let you know how it goes

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Check your oil immediately.

If it is overfilled and/or a milkshake brown color, your coolant is leaking into the oil system.

If so, do not run the engine until it is checked out by a very qualified mechanic.

If oil looks fine, refill per your owner’s manual and keep an eye on it. If the cap is good, the coolant will puke out the overflow when hot and find its correct fill level.

Steve Magnusson, Qavion and turbo-joe like this.
  6. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Sonfield, for completeness after the above advice, once re-filled and running, crack the three air bleeders open and confirm that all air is bled out of the system ( one in the piping above each radiator, and one at thermostat housing). There is tons of direction if you need to search this. You may want to also search about 0.9 versus 1.1 Bar radiator cap effectiveness to prevent such leakage just in case you find a 0.9 Bar cap on your overflow tank. EDoug

vincenzo and TestaDDS like this.
  7. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Thx everyone will get to it Friday

8. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC

Are those things easily found by a novice. Also what coolant do recommend the most most?

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Zerex G-50 and distilled water, 50/50

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You need to match the type (color) coolant that is already in there -- if just the ordinary "green" stuff, I use Prestone.