Fabrication and Machining | FerrariChat

Fabrication and Machining

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MK1044, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    It seems a few of us have need for, and/or interest in making oddball and hard to obtain parts.
    I thought it might be good to have a single thread to consolidate our experiences with these types of things.
    Personally, I'd like to move into this as a retirement hobby to cut back on my time spent drinking.
    With respect to the people around here who have greater expertise and who actually make a living from this work.

Some recent threads and posts of this nature:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/can-someone-make-me-a-bolt.631519/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/does-anyone-know-a-guy-who-has-a-small-metal-turning-lathe.631492/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/horology-and-me.589429/

Potential club members. Feel free to invite others to the club house.
    @smg2
    @kiesan
    @walnut
    @MK1044
    @fastback33
    @bpu699
    @Jaguar36
    @05elise
    @wmuno
    @WaltP
    @MerlinTech
    @dave80gtsi
    @timwu12
    @Nembo1777
    @jqpd99

05elise, Jaguar36, dave80gtsi and 2 others like this.
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    fastback33 and MK1044 like this.
  3. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    A while ago I rented a Sherline cnc mill for a few weeks just to learn about it. I only milled plastic. I found it to be well made, easy to use, accurate.

Sherline has a good reputation. These are very small machines suited to making small parts. Made in USA I believe.

In model railroading (my other hobby) there is at least one manufacturer that uses their machines. (Maybe northwest short line?).

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    In general most american made machinery is pretty high quality. I would just be sure that it isnt one of those "made inTaiwan, assembled in USA", kind of deals.

Not sure if we can plug other forums on here, but if you're looking to get into this as a hobby cnczone.com has a forum with plenty of people who have been there done that. So save yourself some money and potentially some time and see what people are using over there.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Don’t. There’s no reason to combine the two.

Google MicroMark. They start with standard Chinese mills and lathes and then convert them to inches. It’s the ideal mix between inexpensive but upgraded machines.

No one in the US would use metric measurements for machine work.

Matt

6. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    ??

The website gives you the option to select metric or imperial.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Sherline is the hybrid vehicle of the machining world. It does no one thing well.

If you’re interested, get a real lathe first, and then a mill. Not a “combo”.

Matt

Solid State likes this.
  8. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Get a used Atlas or used Craftsman American lathe to start. Pay more to get one that has a complete set of tooling. The tooling costs more than the lathe itself.

MK1044 likes this.
  9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Honored to be on the list of invitees. I agree with the no combo. I had a small home combo unit and sold it. the guy that bought it sold it pretty quickly too. I have bench top lathe (Grizzly) and for bolts and nuts and spacers and just small things, it is great.
    I also agree about tooling, buy someone out and get everything you can. Quick change tool post on the lathe will make you a happy guy. It can bury you buying tooling.
    I am fortunate enough to have a very nice mill and lathe. Both were purchased new from Precision Mathews. They are China but I am one guy and they don't run all day, so for me they do what I need.
    It really is nice to have an issue and just walk over and fire up the "Make it Machine". Saves time and money.

MK1044 likes this.
  10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 EastMemphis, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    The Sherline isn't a combo. It's a separate lathe and a separate mill. The only thing they share is the same power supply and computer to run the G code. It seems to be a top of the line setup for small machining projects. I already have a large non-ferrous CNC (60x96x12) so there should be less tech shock. I'm well aware of tooling costs. I have at least $5k in tools for my existing spindle CNC.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  11. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    A good entry level milling machine is the PM-25mv. It comes from China, but it has a 3 year warranty so it's not junk. Be prepared for the price of the tooling you'll need to actually use the mill.

12. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Matt, I think you are thinking of Smithy and on that I agree with you.

13. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #13 MK1044, Nov 13, 2020
    If you are patient and knowledgeable, there are occasionally good deals to be had on used machine tools -- even on CraigsList. The problem is many of them have been sitting for years or decades and once rust sets in they are useless for any kind of precision work. But their owners still think they are worth big bucks.

I bought my Grizzly (made in China) 12x37 (18 gap) lathe about ten years ago from the original owner who bought it in 1985. It's a good machine. Our shop got flooded a few years ago and I had to rebuild the thing, but it's still accurate. Took it down and replaced every bearing and seal. Still needs some adjustments and a few finishing touches.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

At this time I am looking for a benchtop vertical milling machine. If I buy new I like the Rong Fu machines, (made in Taiwan). They can be had for less than $4000. But there are other of manufacturers who make these.

14. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    What do you do with that? Please post a photo.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Being mostly a one-man restoration shop doing almost all aspects of the work myself, including custom designing/engineering/fabricating parts "in-house" and in 4 decades have accumulated lots of tools and equipment to do it (I've even invented some and patented couple), but I'm also very fortunate to have nearby network of colleagues/friends (mostly retirees) with variety of machinery, skills and willingness to do things I don't have time, like some of the small production runs of variety reproduction parts I need for my jobs and offer to others.
    Also, having 24/7 access to some their shops and couple of friends having already "willed"(?) their equipment to me, I have no need or plans currently to expand my own arsenal.

MK1044 likes this.
  16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #16 EastMemphis, Nov 13, 2020
    Jaguar36 and MK1044 like this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You guys are right. I apologize for giving misinformation.

Matt

18. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    This is F-chat. We don't apologize. 3 day ban. :D

19. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Very cool. Who makes the machine? How do you program it? Et cetera.

20. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Here is another interesting fabrication project. The owner wanted to put larger diameter wheels on an older car, but have the same style as the factory originals.

I think his process was a really great idea.

21. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I've been slowly building up my skills and shop for the past couple of years, and have built a number of parts for various different cars. I've got a Bridgeport and a Leblond Regal lathe and have been slowly building my own CNC mill. If anyone needs help either setting up their own shop, learning how to make parts or having a part made I'd be happy to help!

Kevin Rev'n and MK1044 like this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What you want is for cv19 shutdowns to make a Bridgeport mill an opportunity

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a ShopBot PRS Alpha with an indexer. I use a program called Aspire to create the objects and the machine code file.

MK1044 likes this.
  24. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Photos?

Re: cnc mill, do you mean converting the Bridgeport or . . . ?

25. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Lol!

Matt (@Smiles ) dont you know. You're supposed to double and some times triple down on being correct!

;P

MK1044 likes this.