F355 Market | Page 167 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ferrari-f355-gts-2-2/

Was just at Bruce's shop today, and he showed me the invoice for service on this car. PO spent like $14K, at indy prices no less, doing literally everything mechanical on the car just a couple years ago. I mean, major, upgraded everything internally, CV joints, boots, clutch, the whole "while you're in there" package.

Robb likes this.
  2. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Well there you go. Poor car was torn apart on here for missing a piece of tape and a $15 rubber gas cap flap. Goes to my point about Bring-a-trailer not mentioning relevant information.

WATSON and Michael_Davis like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Alex, I’ll go with...

must be color and mainly F1 for the daily double.

looked good to me and I’d own an F1 no prob.

Robb

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The Rosso fiorano berlinetta was awesome and well cared for and it topped out at upper 60’s right plus fees. That was also an F1.

I say highly desirable. Market is not agreeing at least on BaT.

Robb

7. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    It's also due for a major right now, and the AC needs significant work. there's $10-15K in value right there. Would bring it to a respectable $75-80K-ish hammer price if the seller did it in advance. When Ferraris are sold like that, it tells you a LOT about the situation. The guy went from buying a 1 year old 355 to not able or willing to foot the bill to keep her fully functional. Or estate sale, possibly.

8. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Thankfully, BaT seems to have hired a copywriter who doesnt put "is said to have" in every gorram sentence.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I can't find any desirable combinations for less than $100k USD equivalent and I'm searching global market regularly.

Unique/nice spec cars are not coming up for sale anymore I've found.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Why’d they leave the valve covers looking like crap? Mine stayed perfect for 6 years between majors. Even though they still looked great we repainted them anyway.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s about what it is here in Australia. I don’t even mind the F1 but wouldn’t want to try and sell one- which I have done once!

14. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am trying to figure out what to do with my F355. It is a running and driving car that I have had for almost 10 years but overdue for major and is a driver. Needs cosmetics work to be perfect but the average person sees it and thinks it is perfect at first glance. It is a 97 3 peddle GTS nero/nero with 45k miles. I am realistic that it is probably on the lowest end of the spectrum but I don't know what that range would be and what the best way to get that number would be. Car is located in Washington state now.

I absolutely don't want to advertise it all over and take 1,000 phone calls from dreamers and such. Quick and easy sale has value for me. Any suggestions on how and where to advertise?

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    take it to carmax, seen that a few times its was not horrible and you avoid all the absurd hagglers that show up to insult you. Why not bat with a reasonable reserve? Ebay buy it now?

16. MHawk

MHawk Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2019
    Florida, NY
    Are you willing to do any work before selling it, or are you trying to get rid of it quickly?

My advice would be to get all of your documentation together, get a quality detail, get some really good photos. Spend a little time on writing a good listing, and answer as many questions as possible before they even contact you. Serious buyers will want to know about service history, paint care (include paint meter photos), modifications, stickies, headers, valve guides, etc. A listing like this get people excited about the idea of buying the car, and lowers the uncertainties that a potential buyer will have: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2002-ferrari-360-modena-stick-shields-carbon-seats-rosso-barchetta-more.627240/

If you're trying to get the highest price I would list it on BaT in March/April, but you must be prepared to do the BaT song and dance for a week. Do your best to engage with people and not mock stupid questions. There was a low mileage black manual GTB that sold for $96k on BaT but was due for a major had lots of cosmetic issues (not as obvious unless you look at the videos): https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ferrari-f355-6/

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The yellow challenge F355 on BaT went for 140k plus fees. Seemed like a normal price or even a little lower than potential seeing as it had a Street title which everyone likes.

main thing holding it back was car history / true livery / maint history / wrong seats.

Buyer and seller did ok I think.

Robb

ShineKen likes this.
  18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Best place to get your car noticed without the peanut gallery effect is ..... EBay. It’s really just a typical classified. No one bids on cars there. I’ve sold 4 cars there fairly quickly without hassles. Just Be sure to put together a VERY thorough ad.

unfortunately, you will get more tire kickers with an ad here I think - especially with an ad that is vague or incomplete. I’ve sold two from here. Lot of fence sitters who are not really ready to go but always hoping for a deal.

BaT seems ok but with lots of peanut gallery who will beat up every car to get price down. I prefer the old school way of listing a car vs auction.

Robb

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I think that car should be $160k at the minimum. Even with the wrong seats.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yeah well. Lots of “other” factors.

Robb

21. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This definitely sounds like the best way to sell it but also what I am trying to avoid. I am looking for a as is where is sale with as little of my time invested as possible. If I fail at this kind of attempt what you describe may be my course of action come the spring time with my life isn't so hectic.

22. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the first hand information Robb. I hadn't thought so seriously about Ebay but it may be the best for what I am looking for now. It would take me a week or so to get pictures and write a complete listing as you describe. I know what and why you are talking about. That is needed to sell a car like this and also the reason I would not want to list it on BAT or here because of the commentary and such. I think I will get appropriate pictures and use Ebay.

Robb likes this.
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    But as others have said regardless of where you list the car... the least amount of time you put into prepping the car for sale and presenting it for sale...

will result in a lower price at sale. This seems to be your direction based on the above.

so please adjust your expectations accordingly. You really either have to put in the time and elbow grease to get your car ready for sale, or you have to pay someone to do it for you. Otherwise see above.

you will get more tire kickers if you have not done your part to easily list all the facts about your car that include full history, maint, etc. if you have not taken a lot of photos, or taken the time to really clean the car, again, adjust your expectations.

Robb

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    There are only 9 Ferrari 355 on eBay currently.

definitely a COVID shortage. 2 F1 berlinetta and 1 F1 GTs..... 6 spiders.

I don’t remember ever having that few out there on eBay.

Robb

25. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven