In theory, can you register a racecar in Hawaii? | FerrariChat

In theory, can you register a racecar in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Doc_K, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    I was just curious if this would be possible. A lot of F430 Challenge Cars, Lamborghini Super Trofeo race cars have VIN numbers. If you were to register out of state first so that the car is street legal, and then ship the car to Hawaii, besides the safety inspection, would there be anything stopping you from re-registering the car here in Hawaii since it was a technically a street legal road car prior to shipment.

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I know there's at least one collector with track-only cars who just has the cars in storage, no registration and no (legal) street driving. I interpreted that as an inability to find a work-around.
    I looked into buying an Atom (used, already registered and street-legal on the mainland)) and was dissuaded by what I learned on-line. I think I recall one big island resident bought one, brought it over and ultimately sold it back to the mainland bc he couldn't register it.
    You could ask at the DMV but I'm sure you'll get a different answer when it actually comes time to register.
    One of the guys at Velocity may have some more specific insight as to if it would be feasible; PM me if you want his contact info.
    What island are you on?

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can probably register old racing cars like the 550 Spyder. But newer models need to meet all the safety requirements, and have been crash tested etc. Even something as simple as a racing type harness would not be legal on a road car in Hawaii.

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think the VIN will cause a red flag. It seems the street Lambos have VINs that start with ZHWU, while the Super Trofeos are ZHWE. Probably something similar with Ferrari.

5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Enforcement varies by Island. There are many types of cars prohibited in writing, like kit cars, but are still here, on the road, and tagged, with current safety inspections.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The outer islands have it pretty easy compared to Oahu. I saw some really funky stuff in Maui when I used to go up there for DEs.

7. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    they have vins, but the factory race cars I have owned, have no title. Just a BOS. Would be hard to get a title that way.

Not to mention, getting inspection passed in Hawaii would be even more difficult, although with as broke as the state is, who is going to enforce it. just drive it.

Doc_K and andyrichter like this.
  8. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm on Oahu. I'm doing some more research about this. I've known multiple people who have made race cars street legal on the mainland by going to Montana route or having a state assigned VIN number in their respective states. In theory, you could have an MT state reassigned VIN number which would maybe allow you to re-register in the state of Hawaii. When it comes to recon, however, I wonder if you could prove that the car is "original" because it technically was constructed that way from the factory. You haven't "Modified" anything, for the cars that already possess all needed street legal items.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    A track car makes a lame streetcar and a street car make a lame trackcar. It really is an either or proposition. It is easier to gut a streetcar into a racer than put all the stuff in to make a racecar a streetcar. Many of us racers keep all the street stuff thinking one day we will return our converted cars back to street. It never happens. It is way too much work and easier to sell a tired racer than to put it back on the street. Trying to fudge racecars to be streetcars just elevates the problems.

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Ha! I'm still trying to figure out how to get a 930 that was converted to a 935K3 race car, back on the street. It has a 930 title, but I don't think it would pass a safety check. lol

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Put a license plate on it from another F car you have that looks like it.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Really bad advice. “License and registration, please,” from law enforcement shows a different VIN. Cops care about VINs, especially in Hawaii, because that’s how they find stolen cars.

I’ve registered both an Ariel Atom and a Pur Sang Bugatti for the road, with license plates and titles that could easily be transferred to Hawaii.

Any annual inspection would be a different story.

I have no info on Hawaii’s process to title a car.

Matt

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    It was a joke, I'll make sure I put a LOL emoji next time

14. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting theoretical question Ian. Im looking forward to the details next time we chat. Going beyond theory there is the reality of every time you drive its nerve wracking. A month ago you remember riding through Honolulu in my F355? I'm nervous all the time because it is so loud. I got pulled over one time because some dipsht in a loud ass AMG that drives 100mph through waikiki all the time got noticed from the police from 4 blocks away then saw me driving 5 mph UNDER the speed limit and pulled me over.

Oahu (and Hawaii) is an amazing place, unlike anywhere else in the world, but one thing it is not. It is not a good place to have an exotic car, much less a race car. That being said lets buy some stupid cars to own. Also, lets meet in Vegas in a week. This "lockdown" has got me itching to see some special craps rolls.

Doc_K likes this.
  15. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    I feel that same anxiety every time I've had to drive one of my sports cars here! I hope you didn't end up with a ticket from that encounter! It just makes me want to get a dash cam for my next car even more.

2021 is going to be an awesome year! I can't wait for our meetup when we finally get delivery of our next acquisitions. :cool: I'll see you in Vegas soon, man!