458 exhaust note/volume | FerrariChat

458 exhaust note/volume

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Three55, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Three55

Three55 Karting

Mar 6, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Insider-Search.com
    Hey guys, just added an IPE exhaust and cat pipes and am a bit let down in terms of the volume of the exhaust note. Anyone have any thoughts here? How much of a difference do headers make? I'm not looking to have to wear ear plugs, but the cockpit sound (coupe) is pretty tame.

2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    you should just buy a F8.

Cigarzman likes this.
  3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    What cell rating are your cat pipes? Either way you would have got a noticeable volume increase from that set up. Might be a silly question, but are you testing it with the windows rolled down? IPE increases the pitch significantly, but the higher pitch means it has a harder time penetrating a sealed cabin.

Headers will increase volume slightly, but not drastically. It will be marginal with the windows rolled up.

If you really want to go loud you need to delete the cats entirely.

4. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    Go with test pipes (cat deletes) instead. The car will sound much nicer and louder also.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Now that’s some funny s**t right there.

ChrisDiRe and IloveGT like this.
  6. Three55

Three55 Karting

Mar 6, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Insider-Search.com
    I appreciate that. Fair point. Thanks

Windows down for sure. What's weird us my stock exhaust had a valve installed and with it open it was just as loud to me. So adding cat pipes had to make a difference but hasn't.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    LOL wow... this is no way to start a weekend IloveGT! :)

The F8 only sounds louder because it has a sound tube that pipes the exhaust note into the cabin. This increases the noise by something like 7 or 8 decibels as I remember. Maybe the OP should drill a hole into the fire wall and run a rubber garden hose back near the exhaust system; that's effectively what Ferrari has done, which is super duper gay if you ask me.

Ray

IloveGT likes this.
  8. Three55

Three55 Karting

Mar 6, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Insider-Search.com
  9. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Installed full IPE exhaust with 200 cell cats on my F430. Started out pretty quiet, but got progressively louder over the following few months to the point that valves open is a bit obnoxious. Sounds much better overall than stock though.

10. Three55

Three55 Karting

Mar 6, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Insider-Search.com
    Interesting. Like a break-in period

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Never heard that with IPE before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, I'm at a loss to explain it. The difference wasn't dramatic, but noticeable to me and the indie that installed the exhaust. The "as installed" sound level was perfectly to my liking - valves closed similar sound level to stock; open - a nice F1 like howl. A quick online search seems to indicate there is matting inside the cats that is "unexpanded" until after a few heat cycles, however, both links I looked at indicated improper break-in will result in the matting not filling the cavity properly and in turn lead to rattling noises, which I did not experience. The U.S. Rep for IPE tried to talk me into cat by-pass pipes instead of the 200 cell cats which I'm confident would have been unbearably loud.

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    just wait for @SoCal to az . lol

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No comment but I’ve heard that nothing sounds as epic as the 458.

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Makes sense now Keith, you need decat!!

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Take the car out for a proper track day. Any new exhaust needs time to open up. Before changing anything, give it a good flogging for about 1500 miles. Then see where it is at. If you have 200 cell pipes, try 100 cell. Close to decat, but without the stench.

The problem with IPE exhausts is that the artificially high pitched sound is very thin and not very powerful. Personally I think it is dreadful. Headers, sports cats and a Novi rear will still be high pitched, but it will be a full bodied sound that can be felt. It is much more like a raw high pitched roar, whereas the Innotech is just a thin high pitched noise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Three55

Three55 Karting

Mar 6, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Insider-Search.com
    Thanks

18. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

Is this your friend Keith from our group chat Eddie hyung? If him I met him before yeah?

Yes go with decats(straight pipes).
    When you change just the exhaust ..you really only change the tone of the sound. It isnt until you change the cat pipes that the pitch and volume changes. So in your case cat pipes from IPE depending on the cell doesnt change the volume much. If you want it loud like Eddies Speciale you need decats..its the only way..also add headers for a little more sound and power. (P.S I have IPE headers if you need since I sold my 458)
    That sucks that you already bought the "Cat pipes" from IPE. Also note that IPE exhaust(I think) only fit IPE decat pipes.
    I remember when I installed my IPE the stock cats didn't fit the IPE exhaust...they have different diameter pipes. So this means fabspeed or other straight pipe brands which have stock diameter will not fit. buuuuuuut I could be wrong....so double check lol.

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    novitec or bust

20. Natkingcolebasket69

For 458, IPE is great though

xfrgtr and BruceC like this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol not according to this thread

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Well my friend fred courtot aka petfred has a full ipe
    It’s the best thing. Figment is known to be so so at times but I’d think OP needs to return his or something. IPE is awesome

23. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Yes