458 - Stock 2013 458 dyno results | FerrariChat

458 Stock 2013 458 dyno results

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mvga1987, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    I had my 2013 458 dyno today. The shop used a dynojet. My 458 is bone stock and it made 471 WHP witch is about 562hp when you add about 16%. Hopefully next week I will add Fi F1 exhaust, Fi test pipes (cat deletes) and BMC high flow airfilter. Then after the upgrades I wi take it back to dyno again and see how much power was made if any.

mdrums and greg328 like this.
  2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dyno not accurate as can’t simulate the air intake properly of a high compression ratio NA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leejungwoong likes this.
  3. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    what are you talking about? How can you say is not accurate when the numbers all match factory specs? You have no idea what you are talking about.

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Can you post the graphs?

5. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What size rims are those and what profile tires?

edit: nvm, found it was 21"/22" and 30/25 profiles.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The interesting thing is that Dynojets are notorious for reading 8%-10% high. I've never seen a stock 458 read factory numbers on a load based dyno such as a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics dyno.

What correction factor was used? STD or SAE?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed. Dyno results can vary greatly between shops. On top of that, how the car is run can greatly affect the number. There are many ways to get inconsistent data. A chassis dyno is mainly a tool for tuning, not really to get accurate engine power numbers. A load based dyno in a good cell can get very close, but a run in a normal shop on a inertia style dyno, is usually not very indicative of actual power. The best thing one can do is simply to compare before and after - IF the shop is consistent with their testing methods. Too many tuner shops do their best to get a "hero pull" in after the tune. Hot oil but cool cooling temps etc. To get a good base line one needs maybe 6-10 power pulls back to back, and then do the average. When an engine like a 458 engine is ECU tuned, it needs to be run with heat soak so that to prove that the anti-knock will not just pull timing due to detonation. At the end ofvthe day what matters is the power added through out the whole power band, not the peak hp number. A printout of before and after overlayed, would be the best way to show the results, and this the shop the OP uses can easily do.

9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Regardless of the numbers, that torque curve is amazingly flat!
    Not easy to do with no boost.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Disregard my question about STD vs. SAE. Just looked at the graph and that is STD.

That means for a comparison to what a car manufacture uses to rate power, you need to subtract at least 4%.

This fits well with the numbers I've seen 458's pull on a good load based dyno, which is in the 520-525 c_hp range.

If you want to know what your car makes compared to Ferraris claims, ask them to show you SAE numbers. STD if fake news, sorry to say.

11. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    So I have been taking cars to different dynos for about 13 years now. I have tried other dynos including dyno pack where they remove the wheels, mustang dyno and another dyno that I cant remember the name. I noticed that Dynojet always gets it correct on that 15% parasite loss for rear wheel drive cars. I'm in California and near sea level. If you add 15% on top of 471 u get about 554hp. This makes sense since I'm on 91 octane and not on 93.
    * I will soon add test pipes, Fi exhaust and BMC filter*. (No tune).

Then will take it to the same dyno to see if I gained any power.

12. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    SAE is about 455whp. He gave me both SAE and STD.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay. That is close to the 4% decrease over STD.

One thing I don't understand. If you have been dynoing for 13 years, I would think you knew why Dynojets are referred to as "Dream'o'meters" in the industry. They are notorious for reading high.

But as was mentioned earlier, the before and after graph is what matters. But try taking your car to a shop at a later date which run a load based dyno such as a Mustang. That will give you a fairly good real world number.

As long as they set the parameters correctly, where you are should not matter as the correction should handle this.

14. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    So from the other dynos I have tried dynojet was not the highest rating one. Dynopack was the highest, then the other dyno that I cant remember what it was called and then dynojet. Mustang dyno was always the lowest number. In reality it makes no difference what dyno I use as long as I use the same exact dyno both before and after the parts I will install as all I am doing is trying to find out what difference these parts will make of any.... Now the question to you is do you own a 458?

15. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Regardless of what are the real numbers I will be interested in the differences once the mods have been installed. I presume that is what you are really interested in the stock vs. modified read outs. I have a 2015 458 Spider and will be interested in your update.

Il Co-Pilota and mvga1987 like this.
  16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari has done their best to optimize what some owners like this OP is chasing.
    The difference is that Ferrari has the proper tools and expertise.
    Saving weight is an easier proposition for mere mortals such as myself.
    Use As much carbon and titanium as possible.Get a Braille battery and the best rubber. you will be at the sharpest edge of the spear.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No, I don't own a 458. One of my cars in the 4X8 segment is in my avatar. Is it relevant?

Anyhow, my point was merely to discuss your numbers as you called them out as being precise. Someone else hinted that dyno numbers can vary a lot, and thus to be taken with a grain of salt. I concur and think claiming STD numbers is not an accurate measure. The most important thing is as was also said, to use the same dyno.
    The thing for me is that tuners that use STD is a red flag for me, and I'm just saying that it is something to be aware of, as many tuners claim a lot, but deliver very little. This is wht the single best thi g is to use the same dyno before and after, and that can give you a readout telling you how many percentages the power increased and where.

I did not do this with ill intentions, but rather to discuss what you are doing. We don't all agree on the best way of doing things, and that's fine. Are inflated numbers such as STD numbers a pet peeve of mine? Yes, not denying that. But that aside, I'm mostly interested to see what results you get - and that from a positive standpoint.

18. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo

The reason I said the results are accurate is based on what Ferrari claims (562HP). So if the numbers I got are wrong then are you saying Ferrari lied on the 562HP they advertised?
    The car dynoed 471WHP STD and 457WHP SAE. So if you want to go by SAE then that means the car lost about 19%. A lot of sources says that a Automatic RWD car loses 20% and a RWD Manual (stick shift) loses 13-15% on a DynoJet.
    I'm just curious so in your mind how much power should a 562HP car put down? I'm still trying to understand why you have been debating the number and the type of dyno that I used.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why am I debating it? Go back and read your own reply to @daflk.
    You claim that your numbers are accurate because they are close to factory spec. Meanwhile you post STD numbers which are not comparable to OE numbers. You were the one that started by claiming accurate numbers. You are on a car forum my friend, you are surrounded by people with an interest in this stuff. But as I said, the main interest is seeing the results.

20. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    So will you be happy if I say the car made less power? Just move on man. I posted the numbers thinking it would be helpful for (458 owners). Now if you wish the car made less power then that's ur problem. I don't know why people go out of their way to debate something about a dpecific car that they don't even own.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're like a dog with a ball. I keep telling you that I'm mostly interested in the comparison. And no, I would not be happy if your car made less power. Where's the relevance of that!?
    Why am I interested? Get real, you don't expect me to answer something I just answered, do you?

I'll leave it here, no point going on. Looking forward to see some results. Good luck

Eds458 likes this.
  22. TXG23

TXG23 Karting

Sep 14, 2014
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Kell
    But how did the 458 sound on the dyno? Sorry I had to...lol....:)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AD211 likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    WROOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!:D

24. mvga1987

mvga1987 Karting

Mar 13, 2020
    San Mateo California
    Full Name:
    Marcus Araujo
    Sounded awesome , really loud specially for a stock factory exhaust...

TXG23 likes this.