Dealer- poor service? | FerrariChat

Dealer- poor service?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by gundruks, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gundruks

gundruks Rookie

Jul 17, 2010
    Hello All
    I recently took my Cali T for annual service and when home I found out that one of my window switches (the button that connects to the top of the actual switch) was broken. I was stunned to find this as I take meticulous care of the car. I subsequently called the dealer and was told it would be taken care of. Days later, I drove back to the dealer (50+ miles away one way) and they basically repaired it by "gluing" the broken button onto the switch. Refused to replace the actual broken button as apparently Ferrari no longer sells them and for a proper repair, part of the center console essentially needs to be replaced with new switches and buttons, apparently a $2k plus job. I was told that broken switches were a "common" problem on the Californias and Ferrari subsequently later changed to a more robust switch. Anyway, I write to ask, was this really an acceptable fix? Least to say I was very unhappy. The service advisor told me that they have fixed such broken switches in this manner, but I'm still concerned, who knows how long the "glued" switch will last. By the way the car is past its 3yr warranty. Thanks for any feedback/opinions.

2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry to hear this happened. I believe there is a thread here on the same topic, and if I remember correctly the only true fix was the expensive one you mentioned.

3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I have had both of my window switch toggles break on my 2016 T.
    The last one about four months ago.
    Both were repaired by the dealer at no cost.
    I assumed they put a new part in but perhaps that’s not the case.
    Your dealer should fix this for you at no cost.
    I suspect gluing it will work ok.

FerrariBeev likes this.
  4. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I paid the dealer $800ish to get both buttons replaced. It requires a kit with new switches, wiring, etc. They used to have replacement buttons for the "old" switches but supply is gone. I've heard you might be able to find them on ebay. Another option is to do it yourself. It requires removing the console. I think parts are $200-250 or so.

5. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I looked it up - $510.74 parts and $298.50 labor at the dealer.

FerrariBeev likes this.
  6. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    My 2016 Cali T had a broken passenger side switch also. $536 was the repair cost but I has an extended warranty and it was covered.

After the repair, I was very conscious when I used the switch. Gently and deliberate.

7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    alex likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The drivers' side switch on my car is loose but not broken ... anyone know how to pop it out so I can try and reinforce it?

9. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Taking the center console out is not hard. I have done it. 15 minute job. Then you can get to the buttons.

I think it’s about 8 screws. Regardless if the dealer broke the switch they must replace or repair it back to spec. Glue is not spec.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

FerrariBeev likes this.
  10. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Simply pry up with a small screw driver, and the the remaining tab that is not broken, will pop off.
    There are two types of switches and two types of buttons, your early Cali T (pic) just snap in to the top of the switch.
    There are some sets and left and right buttons like this available but are expensive, see link below:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-California-T-RH-LH-Power-Window-Buttons-Set-OE-309096-309097/202758477224?epid=22034207370&hash=item2f3558d5a8:g:u4kAAOSwxSxdV2tr
    The upgrade switch has a different button with 2 screws that the secure the button to the switch They are available for $35.00 but will not match or work with the earlier version switches. (ask me how I know) and if anyone needs a Rt side screw type button I have an extra one)
    Hope this helps!
    Steve

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FerrariBeev, whatheheck and vjd3 like this.
  11. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I bought one of the last switches of the "old" type from a well-known parts place, less than $70 as I recall. Part 000309097 and it was their last one.

When I pulled off the old broken switch, it was clear that someone had tried the glue method and it hadn't held for that long.

So as everyone says - find the old which will last a year or two, or buy the new parts that change out the whole (poor) design.

12. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Did the switch break while the car was in for service? If so, regardless of whether it would have happened eventually, since it happened on the dealer’s watch, the dealer should step up and fix it the right way.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have a US Patent for a glue application (2 of them actually), and I have test samples that are now 25 years old. Glue technology these days is really good. I wouldn't worry about that.

Now, I am perplexed by the "we don't make that anymore" bit......there used to be a US law that said any automobile sold here had to be fully supported for 15 years after the last new car is sold.

14. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Shark, they redesign parts (with new part numbers) all the time. If the original design is poor, you would generally prefer a better design that will last longer....which is what has happened here.

Sadly, the redesign is more than just a simple plastic switch and it is far more expensive.

15. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    mmmm i think there is a chat needed here with Ferrari:
    1. part redesigned = implies first part was no good....not up to the task
    2. if it was normal wear and tear than no need for 1
    3. clients (us) pay good money to have good quality parts that last under normal wear and tear
    4. clearly not the case else why point 1
    5. therefore good money has purchased inferior parts
    6. where are the consumer rights there?
    7. part clearly never up for the task it was designed for again point 1
    8. outcome - Ferrari should replace free or at the price differential from original part, but decently not at a profit

16. mathem1

mathem1 Rookie

May 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael Mathe
    What parts are required for the redesign? I bought the new switches but they clearly do not fit...

17. DrStig

DrStig Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    Anyone know when the change was made? I have a 2017