WTB and looking for advise 308 GTB vs. GTBi | FerrariChat

WTB and looking for advise 308 GTB vs. GTBi

Discussion in '308/328' started by chris0315, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Hey ya'll,
    I'm slowly gearing up for my next chapter.. for many years now I'm on the fence to go back to a classic or not. I'm originally from Germany. I had for many years a 911 1989 3.2 G50 which frankly, was nice but in terms of driving and such not really what I wanted. The car was way to nice to tune it, I always wanted Singer style. I was to late for the early F models. They simply went through the roof and made no sense to purchase. So I ended up selling the vehicle and since then I only have (relatively) modern cars.
    I currently own an FF stateside which I probably move sooner or later to the 2nd home in Europe. Of course I'm dreaming of a 458, Scud, F8, something fast loud and crazy and may or may not will do that one day.
    However, I'm about to move back to San Diego next summer. I don't necessarily need a convertible but taking the roof out is a nice to have feature.
    I'm probably looking into 308's now on and off since 10+ years. For me, this is the perfect style Ferrari. I want to drive, I don't necessarily need another garage queen. I want an exotic color and not necessarily red. In my mind I'll drive every now and than to work with her and pick up food for the family. I'm not usually the one that drives extra rounds after work. Therefore, I need something practical and easy. Nothing drama and complicated. Reliable and some room. I'm 5'3, so no issues with seating height. But I'm also somewhat spoiled with owning fast cars. I understand that a 308 is not necessarily a Scud but I don't want Volkswagen beetle feeling again.

I have a couple of questions to the owners:
    1. does my profile fit to my search?
    2. Gtb vs. Gbti, whats to be recommended for my use case?
    3. budget, since this is a wild card. I'm normally never happy and quite pity. I much rather buy a cheaper one and have more budget for doing/let do work. Whats a good rule of thumb?
    4. and last but not least, does anyone no of anything? I love the golden at gullwing, although I wish it would be darker inside. There is a blue and cream at davis but low miles (and probably freaking expensive). There was a silver/black at beverly hills cars but looked pretty rotten.. I basically look for something not red black or white. just saying, if someone has something on hand, or knows about a good resto base, here I am.

thanks for reading,

Best regards
    Christoph

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'll bet Beverly Hills Cars has had some good looking cars. I've never seen any when I look, but surely they have at least once. They seem to specialize in flipping neglected and needy exotics.
    I bought a needy 308 - actually two, but one at a time - and I'll tell you it's not the path to efficient and cheap ownership. You will not save enough on the purchase price to make up for any known deficiencies let alone the unknown. And there's always something unknown. You'll hear that you should buy the best car you can afford. I've ignored that advice twice so take it from an authority that it's true. I've enjoyed working on the car, I don't have any regrets, but from an economical perspective a cheap car is folly.

3. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    I would opt for a well sorted 308 Quattrovalvole or 328. They are the most reliable. Buy the best one you can find, as "there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari".

smg2 likes this.
  4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I really love my gtb
    I had a gts and gtb at the same time
    Both carbed early 308s
    I never took the top off the gts. My problem
    I love the sound of
    My carbs, but I had extensive engine modifications to have some punch when the the throttle is pushed.
    I consider myself lucky to have a problem free early 308. I maintain it which a lot to do with this.
    To me the styling of the gtb is so beautiful and unspoiled.
    As said, buy the best example for your budget.
    I think you will love this timeless design. I go into the garage and can sit on the sofa looking at the design and never get tired.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Their cars are mostly ...projects!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    One of my biggest regrets is selling a GTBi in order to buy a 328 GTS.

I became greedy about HP and thought the 328 would be a drastic improvement, and while faster, it's still a 30 yo car that underperforms by todays standards. I eventually realized that the more solid feel of the GTB was more desirable to me than the better performance of the 328.

I paid $21k for the GTBi and it only had a little over 20k miles. I paid over twice that for my 328 and spent another 20k + on engine work and the interior.

Live and learn.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    As a Californian, I will say that I love the GTS. I don't really drive it with the top on much; only on really hot days when I need the a/c. A GTB would lessen experience for me. It is a personal preference though.

Research this FChat website. Much ink (err, electrons) is spilt regarding opinion about the pros/cons of the various models (carb vs FI / GT4 vs 308 vs 328 / GTS vs GTB).

Another thought on California cars ... the California DMV is very lax about the condition of cars. Nothing is checked except strict exhaust emissions requirements (every 2 years). I just had my car tested yesterday (an easy "pass") for my 2021 registration. Be very careful if buying out-of-State.

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Brian A has a good point. I'd buy a car in California. Again. it's do as I say and not as I do, as I bought my car out of Oregon. But i's the only sure way to avoid a smog nightmare. I'd also be real hesitant to buy a carb car if living in CA just because of smog testing. It's not that carb cars can't pass......it's just never a sure thing. The injected cars pass without much hassle. Carb cars sound better, maybe even drive better, but every two years you roll the dice.

The '80-'82 cars are injected and down on power compared to everything else. Does it matter? I'd never turn down more power in these cars, but are you racing, doing autocross or something? No? Then it's for fun. Are they less fun, less enjoyable because of 20 HP? Doubtful. If you think of it as a mid-engine Miata you'll be pleased. If you think of it as a 288GTO without fender flares then you'll be sorry.

The QVs have the perfect balance, I think. Injection reliability with the power of the carb cars. And of the QVs 84-85s have the edge with no smog pump. Although the lambda system is a bit of an add-on with it's own woes.

9. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Thanks guys, some really good stuff!
    What's a good source to find one, I'm next week all week in Oceanside and I'm sure I can sneak in some time to check things out. I'm in need of a trustful mechanic anyway that is not ripping me off.
    In terms of budget, I understand that owning Ferrari is never cheap. However, I also understand that in most cases I rip things apart anyway and instead of paying to much upfront I much rather do things over time.
    What is a good budget number? I see autotrader, bat and eBay and it seems like 60-80k is where it's at right now? More than I'm willing to pay right now anyway but I guess this is the usual starting point of me getting broke
    Thx

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have had my 328 GTS for 21 years, for many years I was glad I could take the top off, I had lot of fun , as I live in Ca as well, it was the car for me, nowadays, I rarely take the top off, and if I was in the market, I would get the 328 / 308 GTB, Im older and the top off fun in my 30s was enough for me. The GTB is the better car , 308 / / 328 .

Thank you

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11 kcabpilot, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    There is a serious nostalgia thing going on with carbs. People will swear that they just sound so much better and I'm an old man, I grew up in that era when they were all you had but let's be real. Race cars ditched carbs for injection sometime in the late 60's. Well, maybe not NASCAR but pretty much everyone else.

That doesn't discount the mechanical gearhead aspect of it though. If you relish tweaking multiple needle valves and throttle links in an endless quest for perfect tune there's nothing wrong with that. As for the sound well that's kind of subjective because most of the carbheads go to extreme measures trying to undo all the work they did back in the 70's to subdue the uneven thrumming noise that a quartet of a not perfectly balanced Webers produces.

You might indeed like that but just don't be prematurely convinced that it's what you want until you've experienced it and compared it to the balanced and linear roar you get from an injected QV.

The thing about the 308 is that, in all of it's permutations, whatever you get you're going to end up being loyal to that version. Color, B or S, carb or injected it's a car you are going to love and that love isn't going to come easy. It's gonna take some work. When you first drive it you likely might hate it. It will take you quite some time to master it and that's a big part of the appeal. It's a relationship you have to earn.

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    So the 308 is a rare car. You're not going to go down to Ed's Fine Carz and have several to choose from. Many of us here have spent years looking for the right car. Check classifieds here, join a Ferrari club to check the classifieds, check ebay and Hemmings. It's not like buying a Corvette where there are tons for sale in every color and option package. There are only a few for sale at a time.

mexicruiser likes this.
  13. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Thanks Brian,
    I'm not totally new to this and aware. For all vehicles I owned and still own I have spend up to years.
    When you are saying, join a Ferrari club, what do you mean by that? Is there, other than this board, another source? I have been to several car meets, also in Newport Beach but couldn't figure out a Ferrari specific organization. I would love to join something in SoCal if there is some.
    Thanks

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    In southern California there are two clubs that are active. "The Ferrari Club of America" (FCA) is the main national club composed of chapters across the country. There is also "The Ferrari Owners Club" (FOC) which is a long-time club that decided not to join the FCA when the FCA incorporated. (Someone in SoCal correct me if this is wrong.)

15. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    One of the most insightful 3x8 comments ever made!

jmaienza and MFlanagan like this.
  16. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    All great. Searching for the perfect Ferrari is a great problem to have. Enjoy your hunt!

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I miss my 328 - but one day I'll have another one. Having had both 308 and 328 GTS's I'd go for a GTB. while it's nice to have the top off on a cool summer evening- that seems to be rarer... its usually hot and humid - so you need AC.

the GTB's are just better looking and much stiffer... in both the 308 and 328 - when you hit a bump or over RR tracks - it felt like the entire care was going to fall apart... GTB's don't have the huge scuttle shake... and they are so much better feeling on the track. neither are fast... and you cant keep up with modern Ferrari's anymore on mountain drives. up to the 360 you could keep in touch with them on a spirited drive. When the 458 came along - it's like they have rockets on them.
    I'd like a nice 79 - Carb car... ideally a fiber glass one but that is way too expensive. I love how carb cars sound....

JV's89 likes this.
  18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Beverly Hills Car Club? Gah. I'd rather spend twice as much and get a car that is worth 4x as much, and doesn't require $30,000 of work.

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think that if you have horrible scuttle shake in a GTS it's more likely that you've got worn suspension bushings or bad shocks because I drive mine every weekend at high speed on a horribly bumpy, undulating back road and I don't experience anything like that. The car seems extremely well composed.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I own a GTB and when I go for a ride or drive in a friends GTS the cowl shake is quite apparent. Even my 10 year newer 355 spider is a flexible flyer compared to my 308 GTB. It's something you get used to but after driving the spider or a 308 GTS the GTB fells rock solid. Doesn't make the GTS a bad car. It's just not as stiff.

JV's89 likes this.
  21. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I own a US 1981 GTBi and I can share the following:
    -It is definitely not as fast as your 3.2 911, so if that is your reference I would at least recommend a QV
    -The Kjet injection makes for reliable starts, carbs will not, if you are relying on the car, again look at later models
    -It is hard to get in and out of the fixed roof GTBs, that is why Magnum PI had the GTS, I would recommend a targa in sunnyland.
    -Do NOT buy a cheap upperfixer, years of work and loads of money. Parts cost is close to Porsche but qualified labor is probably more expensive.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    with the top off? i think your car is the exception. the 328 was better, but if you hit a deeply rutted road it would shake and flex an alarming amount. the 308 was really bad. on my cars the suspensions were totally refurbished and that helped a bit... with the roof on it helped in the 328... in the 308 nothing.

but regardless they are one of the best looking designs ever made by any car maker... far prettier than my 599.