Is SD2 / computer needed on clutch block replacement?? | FerrariChat

Is SD2 / computer needed on clutch block replacement??

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360Dee, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    While doing other work I noticed my clutch block was seeping. Tightened the nipple and it leaked badly.

can I just replace the block and top up fluid or will I need someone with computer for bleeding? Car is F1

2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anytime you introduce air to the system it will need to be bled. Just like any hydraulic clutch or hydraulic brake system.

3. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thought as much :-(

Any affordable diy tools for this to save the car having to be flat bedded 50 miles to the shop?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    X431 pro mini

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The most budget-friendly that I've personally heard of is the X431.....but mine is far from the voice of vast experience so best to let others chime in. ;)

It's possible there's another board member in your area who has one and might be willing to help you out. I'd recommend a nice bottle of bourbon as a way to entice. :D

flash32 likes this.
  6. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    You will have to bleed the clutch after having changed the block.
    Good news this can be done without any diag tool. Just start the engine (this will make the TCU to try to open the clutch) and open the 2 bleed screws for a few seconds several times. Be sure the tank contains enough fluid.

MCASEY and 360Dee like this.
  7. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I have replaced mind with no scan tools it will take two people one in the car and one under bleeding the air out .
    One in the car just shift gears not running key on from first to second third and back down to first until blead out .
    Keep and eye out on F1 fluid tank and never fill over a few mms over the steel plate in the tank dip stick is not right the factory dated level later on.
    Over fill you will have a mess every where under your car .

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
    Page 1 of 3
    123Next >
    1. Image Unavailable, Please Login
      spiderscottFormula 3
      BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
      Ratarossa HQ Wokingham, UK
      Full Name:
      Scott
      spiderscott, Jun 4, 2019
      Hey Randy

Just a quick question regarding the hills clutch block and how you bleed it.

I upgraded mine a couple of weeks back and have since been doing the major and cam belts on the car. Finally got to test the car today and all was good for a while, managed to get through all the gears and give the car some beans for a while. then it stopped shifting past 4th gear.

I also did the actuator repair a few weeks back and again have not really driven the car since.

I want to try and bleed the system again but don't have the computer I borrowed so was wondering when you managed to bleed the block how you did it ?

You cycled through the gears but was the car running ? I'm hoping its a case of having someone sit in the car and cycle through without the engine running and slowly bleed the block and top bleed nipple ??

Cheers
      Scott

9. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    thanks Randy. So no computer for bleeding just switching gears? This is what I like to hear!

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    RANDY6005Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    RANDY6005, Jun 4, 2019
    Hey Scott I a big fan of yours and and all the stuff you have done and thanks posting how videos on the be half of the FC community. To answer your question I have good friend witch he has a CS car for 12 years now and he has a mechanic for over 40 years . I ask him for his help to bleed the F1 system He wanted me to start up engine while he bleed the nipple from under the car from clutch block, but I was not comfortable with that told him NO.. So all we had to do was turn key on and started shifting from first to second to third back and forth while he bleed to system took about five minutes. Just make you keep a eye on the fluid reservoir level hope this helps you

A racing car is an animal with a thousand adjustments. Mario Andretti

360Dee likes this.
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Here is where I help Spider Scot he is a big Youtuber

360Dee likes this.
  12. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Switching gears with the engine off will open the clutch for only a fraction of a second at each gear change. It will take a while ...
    With the engine running, the clutch is maintained open all the time. Bleeding will be very quick.

13. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Yes that is right I did not feel very comfortable with my friend under it while it was running and changing gears .

14. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No need to change gears to bleed the clutch when the engine is running. it's a one person job.

armedferret, MCASEY and irix like this.