Hans Device | FerrariChat

Hans Device

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jcurry, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Got a new track toy, a 951 that is full race configured (used in PCA club racing early 2000's) with roll bar and full harness. PCA HPDE requires a Hans if using harnesses. So my question is which Hans. My initial thought is the basic Hans III. This then leads to the follow up questions of angle (20 or 30 deg), size (med/lrg), attachment (post anchor/quick click), and certification (FIA/SFI/dual). Help please.

obligatory pic @ PIR (Portland) a couple wks ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB likes this.
  2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I use a Schroth SHR Flex which has built in flex adjustment for different seating angles. You will need to have Hans specific belts (2") for the shoulder area. Mine is SFI 38.1 rated and is a medium, under 16" neck with the fixed post attachment.

jcurry likes this.
  3. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I highly recommend looking into the Simpson Hybrid Pro. The advantage is it can be used with roll bar/full harness and also with traditional 3 point seat belts. I use mine in PCA DE events with my stock 1984 Carrera and also with the Ferrari Challenge car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    HANS is the 800lb gorilla and all the pro data is with HANS. They are the ones with black box 100+G survivable crashes IMO there is no reason to own anything else. Buy the HANS with FIA certification. It then does not expire. If you buy the same thing but cheaper with SFI cert you have to recertify in 2 years at some fee. FIA's never expire. You want the upright seating position HANS which I think is 20 degrees. Just ask your supplier or get one from good source like HMS mortorsports maybe pegasus motorsports, winding road,...

308 GTB, Nuvolari and jcurry like this.
  5. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

38.1 certifications last for five years, not two. Even FIA recommends (check with your sanctioning body) the tethers be replaced and a new cert. sticker attached every five years, sooner if there is any visible signs of wear/abuse found at Tech.

6. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Echo fatbillybob. This is NOT a place to go cheap. I use HANS. You need 20 degree as you are upright in a car and not low slung in a formula car. I have the quick click and prefer that as I can easily separate from the helmet.

Davesvt2000 and jcurry like this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    HANS, FIA-certified, 20 degree as stated.
    Then you look for a "standard" or lighter model, but this is more for comfort. I "race" with a relatively heavy one and I do not find it an issue at my level.

jcurry likes this.
  8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. I like the appeal of the hybrid, and have seen them being used at Porsche DE events, but honestly don't think I'll be tracking the 360 much, or at all, anymore.

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Like this as well, with some interesting features, but my harnesses are 3inch.

10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Your three inch belts will work, mine are three inch with the exception of the top of the shoulders where the belts pass between the 'horns" of the Hans device. If there is a race shop near you I would see if you can try several different types of Hans devices, you may find you prefer one completely different than whats been discussed.

srslusso likes this.
  11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I use the Stilo Zero GT with the matching Stilo HANS Zero at 30 degrees.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    SECRET likes this.
  13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I use HANS Pro Ultra Lite and recommend it

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Echoing those that suggested the Simpson Hybrid. I spent a lot of time looking at test results and certifications to be sure it wasn’t “cheaping out” on an inferior product.

Ultimately, it fits my cars better - the Lotus seats aren’t really HANS friendly, forcing my head forward even with every angle I tried - can be used with either harness or three point belts, fits other people’s cars too - I enjoy the odd right seat ride with more experienced drivers - and over the last few years I see more and more pros across multiple racing series going for it.

15. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    The HANS Pro Ultra Lite recently saved my life in a high speed impact. I can't speak to other restraints, but I would highly recommend the HANS device. I refuse to get on track without one.

16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I use the Simpson Hybrid S as well. Fantastic system

17. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Nice looking car! Looks a lot like mine. I run at PIR, Hopefully I will see you around next season.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nice Type 951, Jim. I bought my 1987 951 new in August 1987. I've added some Lindsey racing stuff to make it go better. I've never tracked my 951 and it's my daily driver with ~175,000 miles...

I use a HANS Adjustable Series device when I track my F355 Challenge...

It can be set up to suit any seating angle from 10 to 40 degrees...

The tall epaulets help keep the shoulder harness straps secure. It's SFI 38.1 and FIA Approved.

A medium size will fit most drivers.

Barry

Davesvt2000 and jcurry like this.
  19. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Realize this is an older thread, but if you haven't made a decision yet jcurry, I'll add another vote for the HANS adjustable. Not only will it come in handy if you see yourself in a Formula car or Sports Racer in the future, but it also allows you to dial-in the fit of the HANS to your particular seat/helmet/car environment.

308 GTB likes this.
  20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Too late.:D Got the Pro Ultra Lite! Haven't been in the car yet, which is in the shop getting a new head gasket.

21. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If you already have 3" belts, a HANS with the high ridges on the sides will work fine. I got one before the varying-width belts (2" at the shoulder for the hans, 3" at chest to spread the load) became common. My HANS came with both FIA and SFI labels and I simply removed the SFI one, but I'll be getting mine inspected and the straps replaced anyway since it's been a few years.

22. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah, first time out with the HANS I didn't get the belts located properly and ended up with a nice bruise on the inside of my arm when the belt shifted off the HANS. Second time I was more careful and they stayed within the ridge. Am looking at getting the varying-width belts just to make it more secure.

Dogdish likes this.
  23. Zalfor

Zalfor Karting

Mar 31, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John
    any of these restraint systems are good. the more expensive models dont give you more safety, but they're lighter, fit better, etc. just get one that fits you and doesn't fall off the belts. hans saved me from injury multiple times.