Oem vs alternative Maint parts | FerrariChat

Oem vs alternative Maint parts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    My car came with K&N air filters which surprised me and I recoiled a bit because I know that K&N filters are across the board inferior products in terms of filtration. They might flow better, but they do so at the expense of filtration. So, for my Ferrari I will not accept that trade off so I’ve ordered oem air filters for it. But it got me thinking, maybe I’d ask here, are there any alternative products for our cars that are considered superior to oem, or equivalent at a lower price?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Depends upon whom you ask, but I am not fond of oil in front of my air meter, so OEMs have always worked fine. I am not aware of anybody who makes an OEM style (not foam and oil) filter.

Island Guy and Salami like this.
  3. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    No, I’m not either but properly oiled that isn’t the problem. The problem is they RELY on the oil to trap particles that are smaller than the openings in the matrix. Not good. Fine for race engines, not fine for my engine. So I ordered oem air and uni oil filters.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Hill Engineering has a handful of parts that are superior to the OEM stuff.

Scuderia Rampante also makes much nicer intake hoses.

I’m sure there are a lot more but it’s probably best to search on a per item type basis.