FIAMM Compressor / No Oil / No working | FerrariChat

FIAMM Compressor / No Oil / No working

Discussion in '308/328' started by Imatk, Nov 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    So my horn is basically not working... it's a dull croak more than a horn.

So I took out the compressor, and the horn.

The horn sounds great blowing compressed air into it, but hooked to the compressor it's terrible.

I know some of these have "oil" ports, but mine is sealed ('82 GTSi) so I'm assuming that it doesn't need oil?

I took it apart and cleaned the contacts on the brass, but it didn't help any.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can actually do to fix it before I try to find an alternative.

Looks like all of the compressors for the 308 are "used" and 150 bucks... par for the course I'm finding with Ferrari parts.

If anyone knows a good way to fix this OR a good alternative to the busted compressor I'd appreciate it since I don't think dropping 150 bucks on a compressor that is likely to take a dump not long after I buy it is the best option.

2. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
  3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    They're pretty easy to rebuild

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yup, there might even be rebuilds threads on here. The top counts off and there's a off set rotor with vanes... Easy to clean, etc.. oil and assy.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Spray some wd 40 into it and power it up, it will either free itself up or not. If this thing has vanes in it, they are a flat piece of a material like tuffnel running in a parallel groove, usually 4 off like an air motor in reverse. The vanes stick due to lack of use or rust.

waymar likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    As Mike32 stated.... If the motor turns the vanes it should work. Clean the vanes and the cover plate which completes the seal. Spray with some light lubricant. I also cut back the both ends of the hose about 3/8” which increased the seal and horn sound - just saying.....

8. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Thanks guys lots of great options! I'm going to try lubricating it first, if not I'll grab a new one.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it still does not work, then take the vanes out and clean up the sides so they are free in the rotor. The outer edge will have a radius so be sure to put back as it came out.

10. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Took everything out and cleaned and lubed it and it "works" but it still takes a little bit before the horn actually sounds. So I'm thinking I'll grab a universal FIAMM compressor and see if that works better.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put your finger over the air outlet to see if it will build up pressure, if not then the vanes are leaking over their face to the cylinder

waymar likes this.
  12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Had the exact same problem. Cleaned and lubed repeatedly. But still had that delay you describe. Don't waste more time. Meanwhile I think that delay is caused by some certain wear of the compressor you will never get rid of. I purchased a new FIAMM set with three horns and compressor for €70.00. Installed the two original frequency horns and sold the third one for a few €s on ebay. Problem solved.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Imatk and Saabguy like this.
  13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I can only offer empathy. I had the same symptoms; trumpets sound great with compressed air/ new $36 compressor did not solve the problem.

I gave up and installed 118dB Hella Supertones behind the battery area. They certainly get the job done.

Imatk likes this.
  14. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    FYI -

The universal horn kits typically have plastic trumpets but you can reuse your original metal trumpets. The universal kits also have a compressor that is of smaller diameter and different design. Noting this in case you are concerned w originality. Have you confirmed that you have 12v at your compressor?

Plenty of original compressors on eBay but yes about $150. Good luck!

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I bought a FIAMM series 3000 kit. The trumpets are plastic, yes. But the compressor is of identical design and diameter -could use the original clamp- like the old one.
    The only marginal difference is a differently designed intake port.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    In addition to my previous post. Here's a picture of my new FIAMM compressor. Hard to take a picture, but you might get an idea.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best from Germany
    Martin

Imatk and thorn like this.
  17. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, Fiamm 3000 is a good choice and an OEM one for a number of Ferraris.

Most Fiamm and Hella universal kits here in the states have a smaller diameter compressor than the original.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I just had a look into my records / invoices. The FIAMM three trumpet kit including compressor was not €70.00 like I said in a previous post, but €45.00 in 2018.
    What I forgot to mention regarding the different intake port design; On my old original compressor this was just an open port with a coarse plastic mesh. These compressors suck in all grit and dust over the decades and probably wear out internally.
    The new compressor has an intake port with a simple nipple just like the hose connection to the trumpets. This makes it possible to run a hose to a somehow cleaner area and if you want to go further one can even attach a little air filter.

Best from Germany
    Martin

waymar and Imatk like this.