I Guess the 308GTS is a True Classic | FerrariChat

I Guess the 308GTS is a True Classic

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2dinos, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Took my car out for a spin today. Kind of being neglected given all that's going on on the world. I was surprised at all of the raving fans. Over a 20 minute drive through some back roads, there were at least 4 folks smiling / waving / thumbs-up etc in other cars, biking or walking.

About 25 years ago, a little different. There were more 'haters'. I guess people upset it wasn't theirs?

Anyway, so glad to see appreciation for the pretty little rolling sculpture! It was great fun to get behind the wheel again.

48969, TurtleFarmer, Du_Man and 11 others like this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s like Leonardo da Vinci‘s art on wheels. :)

48969, 2dinos and Du_Man like this.
  3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a buddy who's into P-cars and our discussions (on my end) would usually start - and finish with that exact phrase.

miketuason likes this.
  4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Different owners, back then (1980s).

There used to be a joke that circulated about that time:

What is the difference between a porcupine and Porsche/Ferrari ?
    Answer: With a porcupine, the pricks on the outside.

Doug

Rosey likes this.
  5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    When my 308 was new, I had the same experience. Now that its a classic it certainly gets a different reception. Almost always get a least a few thumbs up or wave on every outing. I suspect if I were to drive a new Ferrari today I would get the same reaction as my 308 did when it was new. People tend to like classic cars or maybe nostalgia.

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    When my '79 was almost new (I am the second owner), pretty girls would follow me home from the grocery store, or just zip around on the street and follow.

Anymore, uh, not for the last 25ish plus years...

Way back then they assumed you were rich with a new Ferrari, now, I am just another older guy with a cool older car.

Doug

Rosey and ferrariowner like this.
  7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I agree Doug. When I was in my 20's. I didn't even have to go into the club when I drove up in the Ferrari to pick up girls. What happened :)

8. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Since they are a lot less common now, I’ve noticed a lot of the younger generations respond with the same excitement I had when I first saw a 308. The design is timeless and without a bad line anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Paul Kane likes this.
  9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Kind of makes sense. To a twenty year old, the car was made 20 years before they were born. They're rare to begin with, and maybe they would have seen it in some old book, or their dad or family friend etc.

I recall 20 years ago a friend had a new driver teenage son who longed for a 65 Mustang. I was surprised wondering how does he even know about those? I figure he saw it somewhere, knows it's from an earlier time, and something about it grabs him.

These thoughts just supports the "classic" angle for the pretty little 308.