6 Speed Conversion | Page 24 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This reminds me of the Viper forum many years ago with people being dissatisfied with Hennessey.

He certainly turned things around from those old days.

I'm hoping everyone has a happy ending.

I've enjoyed watching videos of the parts being made for conversions.

I'm in awe of the challenge.

Steve

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I too watch the vids of the parts making...

from my background in oilfield construction... I have to admit I cringe a bit seeing art pour molten al in shorts.......
    if this was a public company... they'd be all covered up in protective gear......

might be a good xmas gift for those guys ;)

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  4. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    #579 catdog, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    What a simply gorgeous car and an excellent model year... simply wow! Beautiful color combo... enjoy :)

Ok i have already posted about my 2007 F430 F1 converted by Art and his crew; I've had it back since May 2020 and it has been running perfectly and the gear shift mechanism is the best I have ever come across... like rifle bolt accurate. Feels amazing and it makes the car simply delicious to drive at any speed. Art has been very responsive since delivery and every now and then checks in by text to make sure everything is going well. I thought the clutch engagement point was too low to my liking and Art went over how to adjust the clutch pedal to my liking over the phone and with pictures/text.

My car took longer than I thought it would and Covid didn't help but Art and I stayed in touch throughout and it was clear at times that I was being unreasonable/impatient and acting as though I was his only client. Truth is this is not an oil change and the parts come from different sources which have different lead times. I am shocked at the ad hominem attacks and would hope this gets moderated more strictly. In the end every interaction and business relationship requires back and forth and an exchange and delicate balance to make your case for fast service and turnaround. When my car sat at the local Ferrari dealer for a month without their being able to diagnose what was wrong with the F1 I wouldn't have dreamed of treating them with the same manner that some are acting towards Art.

Back to the car itself, the conversion has been perfect and solid throughout, the only thing remaining for me to do is to swap the steering covers top and bottom to the manual ones that don't have the slots for the F1 paddles. I just dread the vin plate transfer from one to the other. I went with 'OEM parts' except for the few bits that EAG has improved on (changed some from plastic to metal or some such). Wanted to go for the CF shift knob but that officially comes with a different shift gate (extra $2.5k) that has the shift gear pattern on it instead of the cavallino... in the end it's fine with the iconic metal one even though the rest of the car has all the CF options except for intake and diffuser.

Driving the car is amazing, super sensitive throttle response, and ALL the electronics work perfectly, all driving modes behave exactly as intended via mannetino and even the up shift arrow works inside the place of the Gearshift led rectangle. They also took care of a bunch of things they diagnosed including a faulty vacuum line to one of the banks that was missed by the Ferrari dealer; also changed spark plugs, engine and transmission mounts and serpentine belt. All were done at a discount. He's treated me very well and continues to be available, he stands behind his work.

Fred Daniali and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If the VIN plate is attached like the F355, it is simply stuck on with thin double sided tape. Pry it up with a strong, plastic pry tool. I did that when I replaced the cover with new in my F355 spider (before refinishing services were a thing).

ShineKen and catdog like this.
  6. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I agree completely, I have enjoyed all of Dan's F430 videos and he was very helpful when I was shopping for my F430 and I think he has done a great service to the community by uncovering the various intricacies of the F430 and making available online for free. He was also extremely responsive when I had additional follow up questions.

Fred Daniali and AandSC like this.
  7. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Thank you, I am waiting for a quiet weekend when I can muster the courage; i think I saw a diy video for changing the covers that involves certain steering wheel position and other intricacies ... may farm it out

8. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    catdog, thank you so much for that report. I also was finding that I was pressing a bit too much due to impatience and realized they need their space to do the do the work they need to do.

Back to the cars, firstly, thank you, I was glad I was able to find the combo I wanted, the fact that I could gate it makes it my for real full dream car.

Your car looks amazing. So glad to hear your performance feedback. Art said in one of his videos they are able to tweak it as good or better than stock, it sounds like this is the case.

Reading your review and seeing your pics makes the unbearable wait that much more manageable, for this I am very grateful to you! Same to you rs, great report on your car with pics. Still have a few more weeks to go, but am now very confident things will turn out well.

The stick and 3 pedal shots alone....can hardly wait

catdog likes this.
  9. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Has anyone done the DIY route with the parts kit? (sorry if I've missed earlier posts)

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Just buy a set of plastic trim removal tools off Ebay or from Harbor Freight. Its not rocket science and noting will break or get scratched removing the plate. The covers are not big deal either to separate. Just exercise caution and take your time :)

colorfull likes this.
  11. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Found this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-sticky-interior-repair-using-degreaser-and-elbow-grease.391833/page-5%23post-143644105&ved=2ahUKEwj886Gs5IntAhVxFVkFHel2DM0QkvECMAB6BAgKEAs&usg=AOvVaw3SQdauFz-kOp4mCzZ_wyH6

Sent from my SM-N975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
  13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I´m doing it sort off. My shop has never done the conversion and it will be a first in Sweden. Just waiting for the parts still.

14. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Keep us updated. I have lost a bit of faith in shops recently and I think the current asking price is not smart.

one4torque likes this.
  15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I bought my kit just before the price increase so mine will be a bit cheaper. I´ll keep everyone updated.

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Good move! I will wait until there is a drop

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    catdog likes this.
  19. G8TD

G8TD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dan's (NGS) video showing them manufacturing the clutch pedal assembly was really interesting. A Gated shifter is sweet IMHO :)

Fred Daniali likes this.
  20. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Seems another individual has had some issues with Art and his conversion. Will see if they want to chime in here themselves.q

kes7u likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Here is feedback I received:

“Got the car back - really epic. The transformation is incredible...Very solid - no Exaggeration - best manual I’ve ever driven.”

Fred Daniali, catdog and ShineKen like this.
  22. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep. I hope he does, and think he should.

Kevin

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002