How many of you use Techron in your 360/430? | FerrariChat

How many of you use Techron in your 360/430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    In the Porsche world, it's something we throw in to our gas tanks every few months to keep the fuel system clean. As I was putting a bottle in the GT3, it occurred to me that I should ask here if it's something people had experience with their Ferrari's.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I've been meaning to, but mine has been down a while.

3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    This product has been around for 30+ years I have used it ever since I was introduced to its magic..
    Shell and Chevron are the only two fuels I use for everything simply because they have high standards and work very well...this is a well known fact within the industry...It does not hurt to add a bottle every quarter but may not be imperative if you are using those two fuel brands.

Need4Spd likes this.
  4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used it regularly in my 308QV some years ago, and it really did make a difference in how smooth the motor ran. I have used it since in my 360 Modena and in a couple of other passenger cars.
    I run the cheapest stuff possible in the family cars, but always use Chevron fuel in the Modena. Haven't ever picked up a load of bad fuel in a Chevron station.

5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I usually dump a bottle of techron in my daily driver/family car but for the 360, I use BG 44K twice a year. I was told by a mechanic that BG 44K is much more concentrated than the techron fuel injector cleaner bottle

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I agree the bg44 is a cleaner that you use to resolve a dirty injector whereas techron is something that you use more regularly to keep things clean

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I threw a bottle of Techron into a full gas tank in both my Aston and the Scud right before a yearly oil change. I then run the car pretty hard through that tank of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    How do you get it to not spill all over the place? I put some in my 95B and made a mess due to the "advanced" gas flap. BTW I have the large bottle.

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Shell gas here. One of the Top Tier gas suppliers.

10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Curiously there's a *LOT* of them, as "Top Tier" is a trademarked licensing/branding for profit. There's certainly quality criteria in place, of course, and that plays a large role....but it's worth noting that the phrase "Top Tier" was developed (and is used) as a marketing tool. ;)

Like I said though, there's a *LOT* of retailers that pay the fee to display the logos:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    The same suppliers for most gas outside of depot cities. Working at the port I have seen tanker trucks with different brands pull up to fill at the same spot. Sometimes they put a bottle of additives at the end. Chevron puts Techron.

brogenville and armedferret like this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Get one of these. They also work on “capless” gas filler necks like you find on 458s and other cars.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7201284?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Tools-Equipment&campaign_id=8553470562&adgroup_id=107047174069&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-rj9BRCAARIsANB_4ACIawaxCjYFMa_4oK509wdnp68Zk_QkkzWy3pODba1ENFtWYng-7aMaAuo5EALw_wcB

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    The Injectors are coming up on 20 years old, suggest you pull the rail (easy to accomplish) and have them cleaned and flow tested. Around 25/30 bucks an Injector and then you have a baseline. Injector cleaning is for maintenance, not really debris removal. Every six months throw a bottle of your favorite before filling the tank works.
    The switch from Carburetors to Fuel Injectors caused problems with fuel purity, as Fuel Injectors required cleaner gas. Top Tier gas was the response to this issue, and the fuel does have additional additives to help maintain fuel delivery requirements.

tfos750 likes this.
  14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I run a bottle of Redline fuel injector cleaner every 3-4 tanks in my 360. seems to work well.

15. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I like the 5 gal of high octane race gas better.

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Just reminded me about that awesome Sonol gas station w race gas pumps

"
    Specialties
    We sell all types of fuel ranging from diesel, high-octane and 85 decimal. If you need any 5 gallon containers of 110-118 Octane and leader fuel we got you covered. We have a variety of drinks, sports drinks energy drinks and ice box with fresh sandwiches. Hotdogs made daily
    "