DIY Battery Replacement in 2014 California non-HELE | FerrariChat

DIY Battery Replacement in 2014 California non-HELE

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Federal man, Nov 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I looked in the Shop Manual someone posted in this section and did a Google/Youtube search and couldn't find any pics or step by step instructions. So disclaimer, this is just my experience doing this job myself and I hope it might help someone else.
    1. I lowered both windows and unplugged the trickle charger. Removed both big black plastic beauty trim covers by removing the 5 per side 4mm Hex wrench fasteners. (this not only gave me great access, I was able to clean under them and all around the engine)
    2. Used a thin flat blade screwdriver to pry open the crimped clamps on the ends of the black rubber air inlet tubes. Disconnected the hose from the side of the passenger side air inlet tube. Compressed the tubes to free them from the air filter boxes and the engine. Simply laid the air inlet tubes on top of the engine.
    3.Used a 10mm closed end ratchet wrench to remove both brass nuts holding down the battery restraint bar.
    4. Removed the black plastic cover over the electrical connections on the Positive Side of the battery. Used phillips screwdriver to remove screws that secured electrical connection plate into the top of the battery. Used 10mm wrench to remove battery POSITIVE terminal clamp. Left side (Negative) battery terminal has quick release lever.
    5. Take battery hold-down bar and electrical connection plate and lay over towards driver side to gain full access to battery.
    6. Tricky to see and gain access to 2ea -6mm hex bolts holding alum plate that secures battery at the front bottom. I had to use a Vice Grip on the top of my hex wrench to reach down there. I only "loosened" mine enough to free up the battery because I was afraid the bolts would come out and there is zero room to get your hands in to get them re-started again.
    7. Lift the battery out while keeping in mind it weighs nearly 50 pounds and you will be stretched out a couple feet.
    8. Reverse the process keeping in mind the battery bottom has to hook itself under a flange in the back and also fit back under the alum plate with the 2 - 6 mm hex bolts in the front. It took me a couple of tries to get this right. Tighten the 6mm hex and wiggle it back and forth to make sure it got gripped where it should.
    9. I couldn't find the OEM crimp clamps locally so I went to my Ace Hardware and bought FOUR 4.5" gear drive hose clamps for $10. I put them on and measured the extra amount to cut off. Removed them again and cut and filed the ends. Then took polishing compound and polished them up to a very nice finish. I think they look just fine and will allow me to remove and reuse them again.
    10. Be sure to follow the guidelines in your Quick Reference Guide on pages 33-34 or the Owners Manual pg 213-215 for re-learning and Start-Up procedures.
    11. I used the same battery that I took out which is the Interstate MTP-49/H8 lead acid for $183 at my local Interstate store. My Dealer wanted $708 to do this job.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3037306

Attached Files:

Bill Phillips and whatheheck like this.
  2. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    awesome! finally something new not about a radio upgrade........Do it yourself! marvelous!

Federal man likes this.
  3. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David

4. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    To remove the hose clamps, I just followed a couple of recommendations I read on F-Chat. A small thin flat blade screwdriver can pry the end apart. I tried to re-use them but couldn't quite squeeze it back together with my hands. I was told they are single use and you need a special tool to crimp them together. I have never seen the tool and maybe it can re-squeeze them back together. I would be happy to hear someone chime in if they can shed any light here. Another F-Chat friend said he ordered a set of clamps and the crimp tool on Amazon.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  5. Ecodoc

Ecodoc Rookie

May 31, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stoll
    Federal man likes this.
  6. Ecodoc

Ecodoc Rookie

May 31, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stoll
    I replaced my OEM Odyssey PHCA 1350 (no longer available) with their current replacement: Odyssey ODP-AGM49 H8 L5. Was just under $320.00. It’s the same group 49 and fits perfect. It also has a red top so it looks great in the engine bay. FYI it’s a big heavy car battery that you have to lower out in front of you. Watch your back. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bill Phillips and Federal man like this.
  7. Ecodoc

Ecodoc Rookie

May 31, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stoll
  8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    FYI, The Battery Remove / Replace procedure starts on page 1420 of the workshop manual and runs through page 1429.

Ecodoc and Federal man like this.
  9. Ecodoc

Ecodoc Rookie

May 31, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stoll
    Shop manual? Do you have a source for one?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #10 Bill Phillips, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    https://jmp.sh/Fx0nUjP

It may take a minute or so to load, be patient. You can download it from there.

Ecodoc likes this.
  11. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m replacing my battery this afternoon. My procedure had one or two minor differences from the OP’s as you’ll see:

When moving the large diameter intake hoses, instead of loosening two sets of clamps and compressing the ‘accordion’ hose sections to remove them, I only loosened the two clamps in front of the throttle bodies, removed the center engine compartment skirt as well as the two on either side, then removed the six screws that hold down the cover of each air filter box and then lifted the combined hose/box cover and rotated them aside. It gave me more room in front of the battery. Then I laid both an old bath towel and an old chaise lounge cushion across the area where I would be working to protect the paint. I also unclipped the connector in the wires that are routed across in front of the battery, again to give me more room to see and work. I couldn’t get an Allen wrench down in front of the battery to loosen the two retainer bar nuts, so I bought a 6mm hex driver and mounted it in the long extension of my socket ratchet. There is also a large bolt in the engine cross member protruding about an inch or so, and I removed it to be able to lift the battery without hitting it.

I’m on a break now (I take lots of breaks!) so I’ll post the installation when I finish.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ok, All finished, and here are some lessons learned while reinstalling the new battery. This evolution can theoretically by done by one person, but I had to get my neighbor to lend a hand. Not just for the weight but because of the heat shield. The heat shield that wraps around the battery is a major impediment to getting the new one seated properly. It must be unsnapped at the front and the three sides, left, right and front, need to be pushed and tucked well out of the way or else the battery will snag one or more sides and scrunch it down under the battery. If that happens just go ahead and take it back out, smooth out the shield, tuck it out of the way more, and reinstall. I needed my helper to hold the battery while I grasped the top front of the heat shield and pulled forward and up on it to prevent it from being dragged down while my friend lowered the battery into place. Another trick I used was tying a piece of cord or something similar to the positive electrical panel and pulling it out of the way, because it wants to sag back into the battery cavity, then anchoring the other end of the cord to the frame at the fender.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login