Battery powered wireless camera to detect vandals | FerrariChat

Battery powered wireless camera to detect vandals

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XSpeed, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I have my cars in the underground car park shared with 20 other cars. After hearing what happened to @Condor Man, I'm thinking about installing a camera system.

It is indoors so rain and temperature is not a concern.

What do you recommend which works long distance wirelessly and has good battery life and gets activated when there is some motion? my flat is two floors above the car park actually. I'm hoping the distance is ok for the wireless to work. or at least there is a way to install a passive or battery powered repeater of some sort.

I don't want the ones which have internal storage because the vandal can as well steal the camera.

Ideally the motion detection should not trigger each time somebody switches on the lights of the garage. it should only trigger if somebody is near the cars.

Any experiences?

2. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Ring camera ?

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Despite its very inexpensive price, Ring works surprisingly well.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a Ring battery camera and light system monitoring our private road entrance. It's about 50 feet away from the wifi router and gets a decent signal. I suspect going through floors and a vertical orientation will make it difficult for a wifi connection. If you can pick up the wifi with your phone, you should be able to pick it up with a Ring camera. If you can't get a good signal, try turning your router 90 degrees so the signal is oriented vertically instead of horizontally. That might improve the signal in your parking area.

Ring offers a signal booster gadget called Ring Chime Pro that may help too. It creates a network for Ring gadgets. Don't know if it will help or not.

The ring camera/light system holds two batteries. You can monitor the battery charge with the Ring app. You can pull out one battery for charging while the other remains in the camera running things. A charged battery will last maybe a week if you don't have a lot of activity. If you have the lights come on automatically, it will cut the battery life even more.

I've tried all sorts of video surveillance tools over the years and the Ring system is the first one that consistently works in our situation. We have two doorbells, one battery/solar security camera and two flood light cameras on power spread out over an acre.

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    One option is a dash cam.

I have the ThinkWare U1000 dual 4K cameras powered on a couple Cellink NEO batteries (or Blackvue Power Magic Ultra batteries). The batteries charge up pretty quickly if you drive the car every few days. With a primary battery plus an extended capacity battery, I get about 32-40hrs of recording. If I set it to super power saving mode, I get even more.

I haven't yet set it up with cloud services, but as long as you are within WiFi range of your home, then you can set up ThinkWare Cloud to give you a heads up if anything is going down.

BlackVue also just released a version of one of their mid-tier cameras with cellular capability built in, if you choose to go that route. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/2-channel-dash-cams/products/blackvue-dr750-2ch-lte-cloud-dash-cam

If you do end up going the dashcam route, I'd highly recommend the battery backups for parking mode video though. If you hook it up to your car's battery, it'll drain it fairly quickly.

6. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    ordered the ring battery and the blink. blink came today.

found out the ugly way that it requires wifi to function. I though perhaps it is using a special protocol to connect to the sync device which allows more distance.

i have lte reception in the garage. any experience with lte cameras, are there battery powered ones which are easy to hide to avoid angry neighbours?

7. padebus

padebus Karting

Mar 22, 2014
    Check ist out, I think it will solve your problem.
    It’s a ‘Kickstarter’ project and will be delivered next year.

VEZO 360 - The First 4K 360 Degree Smart Dash Cam
    Protect your car and everyone in it with a 4K 360 ̊ dash cam with AI drowsiness | 4G-LTE | & More
    Protect your car and everyone in it with a 4K 360 ̊ dash cam with AI drowsiness | 4G-LTE | & More

ArVizon Inc
    San Francisco, United States

All my best

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Don't get it . Someone wants to scratch your car will cover their face in and out and that's it . What does a camera accomplish ?