Maserati Khamsin | Page 358 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Unless the oil tanks differ due to my car being RHD ?

Bal

2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC
    the one that comes closest to the car at the upholstery shop is #236, but I have no history of it beeing in Switzerland before,
    and the color of the glove box does not match, but that could have been changed afterwards. The steering wheel was changed as well (not original).
    236 has 3 red warning lights in the fascia, as you pointed out (first pic).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  4. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger, this photo with the steering wheel is not of the Khamsin I think, probably an Indy that was also at some time in his workshop.

And I agree about #236, and as far as I know #236 was never registered in Switzerland.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The only two dark blue K's I know of in the Zurich area are 160 and 1054, both of which I know well and the car in the upholstery workshop is not one of them.

236 last I knew was in Holland. First photo when its owner went to his wedding with an Irish lady at a Manor hotel in Eire, 2nd to 4th photos when it had its engine rebuilt and dynoed at a very respected shop in Holland, Italauto, when I visited in spring 2011, kindly guided by the owner of two Khamsins who took me on a tour to see several. I also stayed at the home of another K owner, that was a very special week:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    After some research I see that #202 already has the new type seats and three warning lights. But the car with a number as high as #250 has the old type seats, #252 and #254 I don’t know.

So this “transition” (for the LHD cars) appears to be from roughly #200 to #250.

#214 for example is the exact opposite of #236 when looking at seats and warning lights, it has new type seats and two warning lights, while #236 has the old type seats and three warning lights.

And the car at the Autosattlerei appears to be the second one that we see that has this combination of old type seats and three warning lights.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is always good to remember that the pattern was that...there was no pattern; whatever parts were on the shelf were used to assemble a car.

I would not read too much into such details, a friend just emailed me that his ex car, which has been in Switzerland for decades, was sold new in Sicily. It had three rectangular lights on the dashboard, two of which were unused...

So not sure which that blue car in the interior shop is.

8. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi All, I’m looking for a couple of parts for my car..... first is the spare wheel and the second is the ash tray inner. Does anyone have any leads on either of these? Thanks

MK1044 likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well spare wheel I know two who want one and I tried everywhere, even at the Padova show but zero luck.

A question to the American oldtimers, what happened to the parts stock of that delightful old man in the south somewhere (who passed and had an English wife) Kyle Fleming I think was the name?

MK1044 likes this.
  10. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Yes I thought the spare wheel would be hard to find. Unfortunately the previous owner lost it.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Jacques bought most (if not all) of Kyle's parts.

Ivan

MK1044, 71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8937 AMLC, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Well I think there are patterns but not in the way that the factory changed something on a certain day and starting with a certain chassis, and that after that day every car received that change. Cars probably didn´t leave the factory in the exact order of chassis number, and things appear to change gradually. So it can happen that #202 and #214 have the new style seats and then #226 and #236 still have the old style. But eventually when going even higher up in the numbers, higher than #250 or #300, I think you won´t find cars with old style seats anymore.

So that would be some sort of pattern. And this could be helpful when trying to identify unidentified cars.

That´s how it looks to me. But when someone posts a photo of a car with a chassis higher than #350, or even #300, and it has old style seats I will stop searching for patterns. :)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Pay him a hypnosis, a seance with a voodoo priestess...and offer him a strong potential reward:D

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    As I mentioned before, look into period smaller Lamborghini tractor front wheels/tires. I posted a picture a few months ago. There is a strong resemblance. It just doesn’t have a size reference.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No that is a dead end, in Padova I sat for an hour with a wonderful character who deals exclusively in old Lamborghini tractors, he had one of each there -and delicious coffee-. I showed him the Spare wheel photos and no, nothing to do with any wheel he knew.

MK1044 likes this.
  16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Need a picture of the trim area inside under the rear glass panel on a Series 2 Khamsin. I’ve gone through over 130 pages on this board so far and haven’t found yet. If anyone can help.

17. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What is Series 2? Thank you

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Early Series 1 Khamsins had different seats door panels interior trim layout. I’d guess that Most didn’t have vents in the nose etc.

010 likes this.
  19. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Now I need to look too.. back to the books..

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Is this what you need?
    Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Yes that’s it thanks, Ivan. Is trim piece at the base of the window held in place by screws or rivets? Assume that’s the same material as the dash below it? If you wouldn’t mind a close up of the area.

22. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The trim material under the glass is made of a synthetic material unlike anything else on the car. On other Khamsins I've seen this trim covered in mousehair. The metal trim is held with rivets. The lower leathered cover panels have screws. The rear lid latch receivers are covered with mousehair. Hope this helps.
    Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks that’s what I’m looking for, does that synthetic material feel like it has foam padding under it? Assume thin if it does.

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I do not feel any foam. The material is rather thick; almost feels like canvas with a rubber backing.
    Ivan

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks, interesting. I would have to assume that it’s original as that is probably one of the most Original Khamsins left.