Pricing help please/do you know these cars | FerrariChat

Pricing help please/do you know these cars

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by daoman, Nov 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area
  2. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    I do not know these specific cars but my sense is that the first car would be in the $100-110K range and the second would be in the $110-120K range.

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Short answer -- not more than $115k?

Long answer -- maybe quite a bit lower depending on maintenance and documentation?

No affiliation......If money was no object I'd buy this 550 https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2000-550m-red-tan-loaded.627494/page-2#post-147563394

We have seen so many recent 575 sales that market is really easy to educated guess. Doug's recent sale of his big mile Tdf 550 was a reflection of 2 guys that bid up the car....that sale has to be discounted, and frankly good for Doug for getting such a strong number.

You can get a fantastic color combo, of a very well optioned, fully documented 575 right now for under $85k. At that level you could talk to DeGroot or GTO Engineering and try and do a conversion....lets say theoretically that's a $30k-$40k exercise then there shoudln't be a "normal 550" that is worth more than say $85k plus $30k so $115k?

I am up to my eyeballs in research and have been down an almost never ending rabbit hole that has been an absolute delight with contributions from all the heavy hitters here.......you can see the 575 vs 550 thread I have been maintaining for "Covid period" sales......

Are you a driver and long term holder OR a guy that wants to add to the collection and then someday sell?

Do either cars have full or partial historical documentation? When was the last major, did either have a "lock and swap" or a full major?

Originality, mileage and options matter for "ferrari guys"......the modulars on the silver offset some of the downside to the "higher" mileage (perhaps).

There are more of the silver cars than the blue cars (TdF, Pozi, etc).

So much of a Ferrari purchase is personal related to color? You look at some of the long term hold and very knowledgeable guys here and at least 3 of the guys have "resale red" so if you are not sure how long you are going to hold it color comes into play and is a reflection of value. the blue one does not have daytonas like the silver car and the blue does not have quilted leather but does have the original stereo.

So many questions......so much fun.......

Mirek likes this.
  4. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area

Thank you Eric for such a thoughtful reply.

I am a driver. I put about 4K miles on each of my cars a year. Currently a 812 and Pista. I will drive the car a bunch and will hold it for 18 months or so.

I have calls in to both dealerships about maintenance records, realistic selling prices and factory options.

Can you tell by the pictures if either car has the FHP?

Both of these cars look attractive to me but seam overpriced and I am trying to figure out why.

Can I just hire you to find me a car?..... :)

Thanks again for being awesome Eric.

- Nick

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You do not really need FHP on a 550 or late (post AN 52556) 575M. And my early 04 575M has FHP.

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @daoman
    As I've learned from @tazandjan a ferrari dealer can pull the option sheet for both. Taz can also comment that I think the FHP for 550's is extremely rare.

Many in this 456/550/575 section have heard my story, that I've got a decent little collection of cars/toys now and a very patient wife and I really enjoy the learning and the hunt for my own next and last jewel (a Maranello will be the "crown jewel") for my collection.

If you think you would only hold for 18 months and put 4-6k on a car then a red one without shields (I like them but many do not) with daytonas would likely resell faster than any other color or situation.

NO AFFILIATION but have you ever considered talking with someone like Mike Berman at Yellow Compass Supercars? I talked on the phone with a forum member within the last month about Berman (the other guy offered I had not heard of Mike) and this other forum member had a good experience with Mike. http://ycsupercars.com/

The link to the red 550 for sale here would be the car I would buy if my hold period was only 18 months.

I rarely sell anything....I agonize over the search.......I've had one of my motorcycles since 1993....I haven't ridden any of my motorcycles since my 5 year old was born........I'll buy my Maranello and then extreme long term hold and my wife/kids can decide what happens when I'm gone. :cool:

Always eager to help and love the comraderie and so grateful for all the wealth of knowledge from the regulars here..... @tazandjan @fatbillybob @ferraridriver @Cribbj @root @darth550 @henryr @niftyfivefifty @climbernyc and many others. I can't say enough thanks to those guys and others that have been teaching me so much.

BTW I just looked at your signature block and see you are in Bethesda. Back in 1999 right after I finished my MBA I was an Associate within REIB at Bank of America in Bethesda and lived right next to the redline metro stop at Silver Springs (my wife is also originally from Iowa but she is a Terp -- undergraduate at least -- we look back fondly at our 2.5 years in the greater DC area).

7. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    #7 F11, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    That first one is a beautiful spec and good driver level mileage. Problem is it’s $50k overpriced so I wouldn’t even know how to go about opening a conservation with the seller.

edit: call the dealer show them the perfect Rosso one listed here that Eric linked to. Tell them that’s the benchmark car on the market today so you start at the $158k asking and subtract $5k for no luggage, $10k for not being collector Rosso Corsa, and $20k for having 20k more miles and boom you’re at $123k which is fair ish if a PPI and test drive check out mechanically.

8. daoman

daoman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2008
    Washington DC area
  9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That tells us it’s considered the dealers personal car and for business purposes it’s inventory and for sale but not really.

10. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I don't particularly like grey cars but this one, especially in combination with this interior, looks absolutely stunning!

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Grigio Titanio is more silver than gray and really matches the Maranello lines well.

puckybadger likes this.
  12. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    "Doug's recent sale of his big mile Tdf 550 was a reflection of 2 guys that bid up the car....that sale has to be discounted, and frankly good for Doug for getting such a strong number. "

Black/Red 39k miles just sold on BaT for $135k.
    I don't think these are outliers.
    I believe 550s are moving up again. The election is over, the markets on fire, people have money to buy.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right -- take a look at the pricing thread I have been maintaining..... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/market-prices-575-manual-vs-575-f1-conversion-costs-vs-550.629834/page-2

There very obviously is a lot of money out there chasing hard assets.

It felt like that noob that bid a jump to $105k on that was manipulation of Lanciaman until it really ran away by a few guys shopping for their clients.

TJsBeer likes this.
  14. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Yet every other 550 listed in the US not on BAT languishes for months without a sale at prices 20% lower than BAT.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed 100% I'd say BaT premium is much more than 20%

F11 and TJsBeer like this.
  16. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Bat has created their own rising tide, and it’s lifting all boats.

TJsBeer likes this.