458 - Awesome Appalachian Adventures | FerrariChat

458 Awesome Appalachian Adventures

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Nov 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I recently completed a fall extravaganza tour of 7 states in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast portion of the Appalachian Mountains in the 458 Spider. With my wife as navigator, we covered just under 3,000 miles in some of the most beautiful parts of NC, TN, VA, WV, SC, KY and GA.

We encountered some of the loveliest and most challenging roads along the Appalachian mountains and through forests which included Monongahela, George Washington, Jefferson, Pisgah, Mount Rogers, Cherokee, Nantahala, Chattahoochee-Oconee, the Canaan Valley and The Great Smoky and Shenandoah National Parks.

On our journey, we viewed incredible mountain vistas, beautiful flora and wildlife, flowing mountain streams and rivers, dramatic waterfalls, witnessed fall foliage in multiple states, and spent 8 nights on the road. Our travels took us through some of the most beautiful areas of nature and to some of our most elegant resorts, to the poorest regions of Appalachia, and of course, the tallest peaks east of the Mississippi.

I've never tested the 458 on challenging roads - e.g., the very twisty, curvy and steep mountain kind. But I kept a Carrera up in the Blue Ridge Mtns. for years, and consider myself a fairly experienced mountain road driver (hillbilly certificate).

One of my objectives was to find some of the most awesome, challenging roads, have a Ferrari experience of a lifetime, give the car a real workout, and hopefully, arrive home unscathed. So, sorry if it's a bit long, but here goes....

I already posted about the trip in the North Carolina and VA Sections, and won't go into too much detail about the trip here. Instead, I wanted to post my observations of the 458 and my impressions of how it did under more challenging conditions....

Open Roads and Blue Skies
    We planned the trip to coincide with the fall foliage which, admittedly, was a bit off this year in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast region. With the exception of one partially rainy day in WV, the weather was excellent, and about 80% of the trip was top down! The roads varied from long, open stretches at elevations up to 6,000 feet and with spectacular views, to rolling hills, to extremely challenging tight, twisty, winding roads (sometimes banked the wrong way) with abrupt changes in grade, long mountain passes and dark tunnels, and many, many blind curves. In most cases, roads were clear, dry, well signed and the tarmac was in good to very good condition (not always, however).

Surprisingly, many of the best stretches of roads had little traffic - we had them all to ourselves - both long open roads and tight, twisting mountain passes - a dream come true!

We had a few close calls and minor incidents, and didn’t come came out completely unscathed (had to re[lace two tires from a downed rock), but the ‘events’ were minor, and in three short weeks we created memories to last a lifetime……

In no particular order, we explored....

Shenandoah National Park (SNP) and West Virginia
    I would skip SNP (too crowded and 30 mph speed limit), but do not miss Wild, Wonderful West Virginia! WV is sparsely populated, the roads free of traffic, and it boasts some of the best scenic driving available - even more so in a Ferrari! Roads are well signed, the tarmac well maintained (with few exceptions), the scenery (especially rock formations) beautiful, and the drivers are fast and confident. Our trip took us up and down the eastern portion of the state, into the rugged portion of southern WV, then onwards into eastern KY. WV has some of the prettiest rock formations in the east, hands down! Seneca Rocks, Pinnacle Rock, and another (whose name I can’t remember) were amazing!

SR-33 run deep into the state, and the Seneca Trail (SR-219) will take you down WV's belly all the way to Bluefield, where we picked up SR-52 and concluded our WV portion by running the famous Head of the Dragon. Be prepared - this entire area is quite rugged, the roads are not well marked, cell phone service is spotty, and it’s easy to get lost or turned around! Many of these roads are very tight, twisty, two lane country roads -and a very challenging stretch - frequently winding through deep rock caverns in blind, long sweeping curvy roads. Race Mode with the Kline exhaust literally made this ride a blast. Almost indescribable at RPMs above 4,000!

Many of these roads do however, go through small towns, and you’ll need to be vigilant of your speed and especially, your surroundings.

We ventured into Eastern Kentucky towards Pikeville. This is real coal country, and it was a bit unsettling to see the detrimental aftereffects strip mining had on the environment and you will see some of the most impoverished parts of the country. We got lost on very poor marked roads at one point, no cell service, nearly running out of gas. More about WV and northern VA here....

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/blue-ridge-parkway-2020.630645/

Southern VA and TN

We also drove through some of the most beautiful regions of southern VA, eastern TN and western NC. We passed by Mount Rogers (5,700 ft), the highest peak in VA and were greeted with gorgeous, roaring, crystal clear mountain rivers and lush forests. Driving with the top down, the signs, sounds and smells - and the sheer beauty of the area - are almost indescribable. But the endless, tight, winding roads that make this ride come alive! I was far too absorbed in driving to count, but The Snake is said to offer 489 curves, crossing 3 mountains and one beautiful valley. I won’t soon forget the tight, twisty roads heading into Damascus (VA), or our stop at the world’s shortest tunnel (Backbone Bridge) to explore one of the prettiest sites in the Cherokee Forest. We continued onwards to some almost unbelievable switchbacks out of Shady Valley (TN) with danger at every turn. The never ending guardrails coupled with steep elevation changes are a bit unnerving, allowing very little room for error. Don’t ever lose your concentration or your confidence on this run! Another adventure not to be missed!

Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP)

An absolutely beautiful stretch of road that runs 470 miles from Cherokee, NC to Afton, VA (near Charlottesville). For much of the ride, we were riding directly on the ridge itself, at elevations between 2,500 and at some points, above 6,000 ft. I can’t say enough about the scenery, the general condition of the road, the varied terrain, and the open and twisty segments of road as well as tight switchbacks and curves. It can be a great Ferrari road (and no fee to ride the BRP) but it is a 45 mph speed limit, and is more heavily traveled with cars pulling into and out of numerous overlooks.

We did virtually the entire BRP in two segments - our first being the very long drive from the Sparta, NC entrance all the way to the northern end, then the southern section.

Some of the best BRP driving is the ride from Cherokee to Asheville (about 90 miles). Just incredible! It has over 20 tunnels, the longest of which is 1,400ft - and many are curved. Going from brilliant sunlight to complete blindness was a bit overwhelming at times. But driving along open stretches of thin mountain ridge over 4,000 feet with panoramic views on both sides is an experience not to be missed!

Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon
    These two classic roads were the most challenging days of mountain driving! If I had to pick ground zero of some of the best driving on the trip, it would start at the Tapoco Lodge in TN, where we spent three marvelous nights. From there, it’s easy access to a full 138-mile route (we did it clockwise), deviating a bit to include The Hellbender (SR 28),then the severely challenging SR 143 until it meets the Cherohala Skyway. Don’t miss the 43 mile long Skyway! - it’s a more open, relaxed drive, and you can stop along the way (we did). The Skyway eventually plugs directly into SR 165, and once you’ve on it, take the six mile deviation to visit Bald Falls, an outstanding work of nature and a great place to chill for a bit (well worth it!)

On the return we hit the infamous Tail of the Dragon, an 11-mile section of US 129 that’s known for its 318 curves. After crossing over the Cheoah River at the base of the Cheoah (aka Fugitive) Dam begins The Tail - and 11 miles of heaven (or hell). This ride is unique because it borders Great Smoky National Park, and there are no interfering driveways or intersections on the entire stretch. Be forewarned - If you’re going to drive The Tail hard, it takes utmost concentration, and you will be exhausted! Dragon’s curves end at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort on the North Carolina and Tennessee state line. Deal’s Gap has a “Tree of Shame,” with its Christmas-tree-like ornaments of motorcycle parts recovered from riders who tempted the Dragon and paid the ultimate price.

I ran the Dragon (sometimes hard) a total of ten times in both directions, but in Race Mode I noticed the electronic nanny comes holds the car back under duress. I could really feel the tires and electronics working, but found pockets of brake dust on the rear wheels after each run. Almost too late, realized what was happening and upped the Mannetino setting a notch(!)

There’s more about Great Smoky National Park and TN/NC here....

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/awesome-appalachian-adventure.631990/

My experience with the 458
    It's more bark than bite….sure, the car sounds fantastic, especially with aftermarket exhaust, like a Ferrari should! But, I found the low end grunt to be a little lacking, especially accelerating out of severe turns. Keeping above 4,000 helped, Race Mode (see below) probably didn’t, but......I’m not overwhelmed. If you're waiting for the 458 to pin you to the back of your seat upon throttle up, you’ll be waiting a while.

The brakes, or more accurately, brake modulation (e.g., how they come on) is a bit disappointing under normal driving conditions. I’d like to see more linear control and found myself thinking about them a lot when driving. Maybe it’s just my car (good because then it’s fixable), I don’t know. Under more aggressive circumstances they’re better, but I’m not a ‘braker’ by nature and tend hold the line as opposed to taking any steps that destabilize the car, so I don't brake much and can’t say for sure.

Race Mode is a bit too nanny-ish; it overly impedes the car in very tight curves, especially when accelerating out (my experience). The good news is - it does work - i could feel it!

The front end gets a bit light upon rapid accelerations. Maybe I’m imagining, or due for some suspension work (again, a good thing), or perhaps a design artifact of mid engine and too much air getting funneled under the flat bottom (ever peek under the 458?)

The car could use wider tires for spirited mountain driving. I constantly felt them working in tight turns. I’m running new Michelin PS4S tires and they’re great, there’s just not quite enough of them on these kind of roads (my opinion).

Ergonomics are fantastic - line of sight, lack of blind spots, shifter paddles, driver position, comfort (we spent long hours in the car) are all great. Wonderful job, Ferrari!

PDK shifting and gear ratios are fabulous under strenuous conditions. Top notch. Whether dumping gears or shifting up quickly, I’ll never miss slush boxes again with double clutch shifts of the 458. On some of these roads you will need both hands on the wheel at all times!

The 458 has a Jekyll and Hyde personality which really comes alive under more aggressive conditions. Driving in a spirited fashion, you will really feel at one with this car! A true pleasure and most special feeling! Enjoy it; it is one of the true pleasures of owning a 458.

The Ferrari garnered lots of attention wherever it went - whether by comment, question or someone wanting to goad me into racing. It was almost too much - and not all of it pleasant. I know, it comes with the territory. I did my best as self appointed Ferrari ombudsman, spokesperson, color commentator, head of relations, etc.

Spider versus coupe.
    I mentioned we spent 80% of the trip with the top down. You’ll want a Spider for this adventure, trust me. Enough said.

A smaller steering wheel would be beneficial under aggressive driving conditions (learned observation).

Well, That’s about it...but the problem is.....I have no barometer by which to assess its performance.

What I can’t know

Would I have tried this in the more modern, faster 488? Absolutely. But most times I don’t think I could’ve used the extra power and torque, still….would’ve been cool to experiment.

How about a brand new Pista or F8? No way, no how, at least not what I did (unless it’s @buddyg’s with them fancy mats. LOL!). Those long, sweeping, blind curves - where I didn’t know what lay ahead - downed tree, buffalo or UFO - I wouldn’t have survived the stress in a car 2-3x more expensive.

Why did I write this?
    First, to provide one person’s opinion of the sublime 458 Spider after running it in the great wilderness. Second, other than one at the Greenbrier ( parked), or fellow member AD211 (Andy was on the BRP in his 488 and we tried to meet up), I didn’t see a single Ferrari on the road. Not one! C’mon guys, these cars aren’t meant to be garage queens. You have no idea what you missed! No idea! Get out there!

What's next?
    This car doesn’t burn or leak oil, coolant or other fluids, but the oil is pretty dirty after 3,000 miles of this driving. So - needs an oil change, gotta drop the front lower panel to remove leaves that collected inside the grill on the radiators, replacing the flimsy side mirror button I snapped off (I had to use toilet paper to hold the mirrors in position as they don’t lock LOL!), and perhaps some rear brake pads at some point.

And finally, some pics from our trip…………
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF, ShineKen, Ant68 and 11 others like this.
  2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Such a great article!
    Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    I had done a trip like this in a 1967 Corvette in 1970 with the top down at all times except for one brief rainstorm and reading this brought back many fond memories. Including the black bear which vaulted over the top of our heads going up the hillside!

wthensler likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Well done....what a dream drive.
    Similar thoughts on the grip etc. more of a GT car imo. But brilliant.

wthensler likes this.
  4. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thx for sharing that looks like so much fun..regarding your comment about the "grunt & acceleration" i think its nice to be able to take a car nearer to its limits, if it was a 488 or pista you would be no where close and not get that same feel you got in the 458 i don't think...heck i sometimes have more fun at the canyons in my 1998 911 C2S than i do in the 458 because it makes me "think & feel " i'm near the limit lol

wthensler likes this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    What a well done documented trip! Nice job, felt like I was there with you.

wthensler and pilotoCS like this.
  6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Thank you, OP. Well done. I've done a good bit of the VA/NC/ BRP and WVA parts. Just glorious.

Curious, BTW, about the negative attention (..."and not all of it positive"...) you said you received.

wthensler and pilotoCS like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    alum04org, wthensler and pilotoCS like this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Minor stuff, but I had no less than three people who wanted to ‘take me on’ and were quite aggressive in their driving. Two drivers passed me on very dangerous roads. The first one lost control of his car and hit a guardrail, the second foolishly ended up on oncoming traffic, almost causing an accident, the third ran off the road, but didn’t hit anything.

And at Clingmans Dome, someone put their hands on the car to look inside. When I told him to stop, has asked me to pop the hatch so he could see the engine......

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    There aren’t many places to shoot pics from on the Tail (as you remember). The whole idea was started by a local who initially gave his pics away, but now has made quite a business out of it. There’s killboyz and 129photos, and I think they’re actually the same company.....

Then again, the number of people who set up shop on the very dangerous curves with their beer coolers. They’re not taking pics....I’m surprised we don’t see a few of them go down each year.

italiafan likes this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #11 wthensler, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Fully agreed. Even the 458 is too much car in the tight twisties, but I gave it hell. My C2 had marvelous balance in the hills, and I could do an exceptional amount of driving below 50 mph and have the time of my life! ( mostly were secondary roads).

Taking an Aventador in these hills would be a real chore, I couldn’t see any a enjoyment whatsoever.

Tarek307 likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Great write up! If you want something to push you back in your seat an F8 or Pista would certainly do it. The extra 140 hp over the 458 is very impressive and the F8 comes with a smaller steering wheel too! (Something you mentioned)

wthensler likes this.
  12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    458 is beautiful in just about any color but bianco suits her very very well. Thanks for sharing, hope to experience those roads one day as a west coaster!

alum04org and wthensler like this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I would love to have a yellow spider some day.

italiafan and wthensler like this.
  14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I drove my Daytona on the Back of the Dragon about the same time you were there-what a workout! Big horse of a car on the tight turns. Did it twice.

italiafan and wthensler like this.
  15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I almost don’t want to see an F8 spider in the flesh, because I know I’ll want one. I’m thinking a year or so out, perhaps.......

Parting with the 458 would be hard if it were to come to that.

16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Wow. What kind of cars were the 3 racer boys driving?

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    First up (the one that crashed) was a Civic. Second was a VeloStar. Third was a Challenger RT. I didn’t race any of them - it was simply the hillybillys coming after me. Was just riding my ride (as we say in the bicycle world). Never let someone else influence your behavior in a car or on a bike.

italiafan and Napoli like this.
  18. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Enjoyed the write-up and pics - thank you for sharing!
    Nice that your Wife enjoys being in your car and all the road tripping.

19. Andre Huizing

Andre Huizing Rookie

Mar 21, 2020
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Andre Huizing
    Enjoyed reading this! My wife and I just finished our 3 week road trip in our 458 spider in the holy land, Italy. Did 4000km of which just a small portion highway. Mostly twisty hill and mountain roads between Austria and Amalfi coast. SR68 (Siena, Volterra, coast) in Tuscany is my favorite. No match for the 458 sound with the open top!
    I was triggered by your remark about reactions to the car. This in itself would be a reason to go to Italy in a Ferrari. Your basically God. Loads of people give you thumbs up, honking their horns, immediately start talking to you when you park etc. E.g. when I did a bit of an irresponsible (read: Italian) overtake on a narrow road the upcoming car was flashing its lights...I was thinking he was annoyed by my action...until he passed with his thumbs up :)
    Cheers, André
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. John lumpp

John lumpp Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    John lumpp
    why the flat bed, all OK?

21. savannah

savannah Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Everett DeHut

22. savannah

savannah Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Everett DeHut
  23. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Wow! You rock! Your wife rocks! You are now my hero! How many hours a day did you drive? Did the seat become at all uncomfortable for you or your wife?

24. ArtoidF430

ArtoidF430 Rookie

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks so much. I’m planning to lead a group from WI on a similar trip next May. Thanks for the tips. Great pix, too!