360 Roadtrip | FerrariChat

360 Roadtrip

Discussion in '360/430' started by imahorse, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I thought I would share this since these cars generally don't get driven long distances. A year and a half ago I bought the cheapest running and driving 360 in the country. It had 18 year old timing belts, a blown heat exchanger, and a ridiculous amount of other problems I've been working out over time. Looking back it would have been cheaper to just buy one that wasn't such a mess, but i feel that learning this platform so well was worth it. Anyway, my mother died 8 years ago when I was 20. She is buried in Minnesota and I live about 300 miles away in east Wisconsin. Being a big car guy, I have always wanted to bring her flowers in a really nice car to show her that I made something of myself. If I was smart, I would have done it with my viper before I sold it for the 360, but here we are. I've obviously had problems with the car, but figured worst case scenario is a giant tow bill. I'm honestly shocked I made it here with no lights or issues. I was at least expecting a CEL I've been fighting to pop up. It also got rained on and didn't melt. I'll post more in the coming days. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I did the same buy what was the cheapest 360 i could find $40k rebuilt title and neglected if you can do some wreching or have a friend to help these cars are not that hard to fix.i also had a couple vipers will say i love my 360 more. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The 360 I have found very easy to work on. The layout makes total sense to me and I really enjoy wrenching on it. My only gripe is the reliability, at least with my car. I totally stumbled on it on accident at a dealership. Clean title and $50k. My viper was the cheapest hard top that I have ever seen for sale and turned out to be the most reliable car I have ever had. I guess it's somewhat of a gamble.

John A. Muller likes this.
  4. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    vipers are definitely reliable my 96gts did have some crazy battery drain.

5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I would definitely own a older viper gts again but there is no comparison with the 360 i love it.

John A. Muller and imahorse like this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's awesome Dustin! Glad you were able to make the trip.

7. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    It felt great showing her I made something of myself. Car has been great. While I dreaded doing this most of yesterday I'm truly grateful I did. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I have full intentions of buying a gen 3 viper once the 360 is paid off. I dont fit in a gen 2 so well lol

9. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Lol had a 2009 acr and man i can tell you never again to much for me to handle.

10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Congratulations and I'm sure your mom would be proud of you if she was around! I've had 2 Vipers, they're great cars but I don't find myself really missing them. Maybe a Gen 5 would be more interesting but I'd rather have a 360.

11. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thank you! I appreciate it. I was with my brother today and we were discussing the two. I found the gen 3 viper superior in reliability and performance, but man, it doesn't have the soul that the 360 does. The viper is incredible and I definitely want another, but the Ferrari is just so much more fulfilling. At least when it isn't in pieces in my garage Haha.

@02360 that was kind of the rush with the viper for me, granted mine was just a gen 3. That was about all I needed. How scary us a gen 4 ACR?

John A. Muller and one4torque like this.
  12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Good on you. Your mom would have been proud!

13. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've had three Vipers and each was solid as a rock. I'd like to get another but the 430 will have to do for now.

:)

14. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    @02360 that was kind of the rush with the viper for me, granted mine was just a gen 3. That was about all I needed. How scary us a gen 4 ACR?[/QUOTE]

For one i am way to short 5.5 and my acr had solid seat brackets so i could only ajust the pedals.i could barley see down the nose it was like guiding a missile. Second waaayyy to much power for me and no traction control driving on a cold day i would spin tires pulling out of parking spots lol.i for one love a gts 450 hp is plenty for me acr 600hp is dangerous in that car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Good on you mate and while there might be more ‘comfortable’ cars to road trip in nothing is quite like the event of doing it in a Ferrari :)

imahorse and 02360spider like this.
  16. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
  17. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Thats awsome

imahorse likes this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Glad you enjoyed the trip! Great road cars.

imahorse likes this.
  19. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very touching story, sorry to hear of the circumstances but she raised a good person and would have been very proud.

Natkingcolebasket69 and imahorse like this.
  20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great story! She was definitely proud, she raised a great kid.
    Enjoy the 360. They are great cars for creating memories.

imahorse likes this.
  21. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm sure this is not the last adventure I'll take this car on. Now that I actually trust it. Somewhat.

02360spider and Jakuzzi like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I only saw this! I’m sure your mother is proud of you. Love the story. Hope you get many more f cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imahorse likes this.
  23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am growing to trust my 360. I took it 7 miles from my home just last week. :D

24. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    LOL. I'm the same way. I'm just now getting comfortable driving mine. I guess you hear so many horror stories I am always waiting for something to go wrong. So, far she runs like a top and is so easy to drive I cant really believe it. I usually do a 15-20 mile round trip over some nice mountain roads before bringing her home and detailing her back up! Have not worked up to a true "road trip " yet.

25. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thanks guys. This year has been rough. I've only gotten 50 miles in. It hurt to put other priorities first. My goal has been 2,500 miles a year, so next year I'm shooting for 5,000.