Dreaded DCT failure- 2015 Cali T | FerrariChat

Dreaded DCT failure- 2015 Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by James cln, Nov 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Well I have had the red gear trany failure light come on about every 2 mos or so then go away . Last time was good for 4 mos . Only has 35,00o miles - never tracked or driven hard . When it happens seems like it’s maybe overheated . Lose 4 6 and r . If I do a hard reset cures it for a while or if I just turn off and let sit for 10 - 15 min works ok for a while. It’s a 15 Cali T and I thought the speed sensor problem was resolved. Help - could it be something else ?? Thanks , james in San Antonio, Tx

2. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I don’t suppose you bought the extended warranty on it?

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Nope - no warranty

4. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    So sorry to hear and bummer that even cali t's are having this failure as well. Please keep us posted of how the repair goes...crack open gearbox vs a complete gearbox swap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's awful, James. I'd call around & see your options on DCT replacement vs. repair. It is my understanding that not all shops are authorized for the latter, but that may be dated info now that the DCT is a more mature technology...T

7. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Sure appreciate it , thanks

8. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    What a bummer. Please let us know the resolution.

9. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks Mike Rob :)

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Where did you buy the car? If you have access to someone who can check for fault codes, that would be a logical starting point.

If you bought the car from a Ferrari dealer, and it has done it intermittently since you got the car, perhaps they will give you some relief. If the Austin/San Antonio dealers are not able to repair, I would look to Steve at Boardwalk for advice.

I believe the primary reason for the earlier speed sensor errors -- the brittle wiring clips chafing the wiring -- was addressed by Getrag and Ferrari, but that doesn't mean the sensor could not fail in some other way.

11. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Naw I have had the car since 2016 no dealer involved - getting codes read is a good idea Tks

12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Good luck! Keep us posted!

13. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
  14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    People, buy a $15 OBD reader, plug it in, see what your code is...google it, you will know if speed sensor or if pressure sensor, etc..either way, do all 3 sensors, speed, pressure, temp..will be under $10K AT THE DEALER if your issue is just a sensor which it probably is

tomc likes this.
  15. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    I need to find a good indy in Atlanta to do this. Ferrari of Atl will only replace the entire gearbox for $40k! That is why I'm getting new power warranty now, but may consider not renewing if only 10k like some are stating to replace sensors.

16. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    My dealer ferrari of atlanta will only replace the entire gearbox for a low price of 40k. Lol.

17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    your dealer sucks then! if its your speed sensor, which is a level 3 more complicated job than pressure / temp sensors even if dealer provided the part should be around $10K . If your problem is more serious it would be different, but thats usually the trans problem, just the sensors. If i were you, and you have this issue, call ferrari of san diego, while i was there i saw a 458 trans that was just shipped to them in a crate from texas for them to fix

PS: all my posts are based on 458 not california.but i think the california is even easier to access the trans than the 458

rob5819 likes this.
  18. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Great info. Thanks and I agree they suck. Getting the new power warranty now simply bc of the possible speed sensor issue. If 10k to repair rather than replace, I may consider not renewing and simply self insuring. 40k scared the hell out of me. Charging 2300 for new tires and alignment to be certified for new power warranty, which seems steep to me considering cost of p zeros mounted and balanced. Are alignments that expensive on these cars? Sorry, I'm a f car virgin.

19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    If they scan your car during the warranty Pre check and see it has old pending trans codes they will probably deny you.

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    I just booked my first service at FoA for December 29. They also told me over the phone that the repair for that would be 40k which is why I should get the warranty. I am sure we'll definitely have to shop around on that one. *Knock on wood* Hopefully I won't have to deal with that issue. Sorry you're having to go through this with your F car. I am already planning on dropping the 2300 on new tires (I spent about that much on pzeros for my BMW i8 when I replaced all 4). I am also expecting to hear I will need to do a full service which they indicated will be around $3400. *sigh*

jblakesmith_gt likes this.
  21. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

22. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Don’t do it - time to find a non authorized shop!

russellmcg likes this.
  23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome to the madness! Purchase price is just the entry fee!

T

AD211, jblakesmith_gt and russellmcg like this.
  24. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    No dct issues yet, just becoming educated/prepared.

25. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Since it appears a previous post can't be edited, I wanted to clarify that I meant replacing the entire gearbox would "suck" financially wherever you may have that job performed. I have made some good connections and friendships at my local f dealer that extend beyond cars into more important topics in life. I respect their expertise of these cars. Just wanted to clear that up and also say thanks to everyone's inputs on this great forum. OP sorry for the brief hi jack and look fwd to your successful resolution as we all learn the possible issues and best fixes for these cars.