Help identify this Ferrari ? | FerrariChat

Help identify this Ferrari ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 78bonanza, Nov 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    This is an old photo of one my fathers Ferraris . I believe it’s a California something, but I may be wrong. Don’t remember much about it other than he let me drive it occasionally. I do remember it had a high red line tach so might have been a high compression engine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Wow . It was a very basic car if I remember correctly. He had bought it from Chinetti motors in Greenwich, Conn . Guess I was lucky to have had the opportunity to drive it fairly regularly. He drove his cars to his office daily . He just washed and waved them and drove them .
    Thanks for the reply

4. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
  5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Could you help us perhaps if you recall the year of the photos, the year the car was purchased, and the interior color? Of several white Cabriolets, with covered headlights and no fender vents, three seem to have been originally sold to the USA 0779 (white/natural leather), 0845 (ivory/black leather, to Ferrari California) and 0873 (white/blue leather). 0779 had early sale history with Chinetti. 0791 (white/blue) appears to also have made its way to the USA handled through Chinetti in its early days as noted above. I stand corrected if my information is not accurate.

mcimino likes this.
  6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Name of the owner, date and location would help a lot. Looks like 0873GT though.

7. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    #8 78bonanza, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Sadly I have no documentation on the car . My dad is long gone and I’ve never found much paper regarding any of his cars . They were just cars to be driven and enjoyed . I never heard him mention them being collectibles as they have become . He bought almost all his cars from Luigi Chinetti directly . I used to go to the dealership with him . Met Mr. Chinetti and his son Coco. This all was over 50 years ago. Thank you for helping identify the model , I had no real expectations of finding the specific car after all these years and no documentation .
    This car was an off white , possibly ivory? Interior was black . Photos were, possibly 1969 , when I received my driver license .

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Name seems to be Mr Cear around 1969.

9. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    #10 78bonanza, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    That’s him , my father , James Cear
    I hope the current owner is enjoying the car as much as my dad. ( a WWII vet that “ discovered “ sports cars after the war and did well enough to indulge his passion )

Bryanp and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bump, love these threads, do we have it identified?

11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Very cool you got to enjoy one of these bacck in the day!

They only made 40 of them, shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the list.

What state did you live in? (Houses look very Long Island to me.) Any guess where the car went when he sold it?

mcimino and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  12. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Malverne , Long Island , NY . It was very likely traded back to Mr Chinetti for another Ferrari .
    Possibly the one I’ll post next for FCs help with identification
    Thanks JC

mcimino and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wait please don't "change channels" cars on us, we are old fashioned here and like to zero in on which car it was, it's history, it's highs and lows, possible controversies, restorations done right or wrong....etc:)

14. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    I wish I had more to offer . I was a Corvette NCRS type and tried , with little success , to track the history of my 1963 I restored . Just saying that “ I get it “
    If anyone has questions I can only answer from my notably inaccurate memory of 50 years ago , but I can try .
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There are very knowledgeable types here, all driven to solve such riddles so just wait and see a few days, the car will be zeroed in on. I am not looking because that is not one of the models I know best but others are trust me.

Happy thanksgiving to you too:)

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  16. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #17 NunoRosso, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Hello Mr. Cear. Might that car be a 330GT 2+2?

If that's so, I think its chassis is 9083GT.

17. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    #18 78bonanza, Nov 27, 2020
    I don’t know the chassis number but he had bought this one for my mom. That’s her in the background . It is the only picture I have of the car , but like most of the others when I was of age I drove them .
    Amazing you folks can track these down . Very happy you can and I hope it helps in a small way with the lineage of the cars. My dad really enjoyed them all.

Attached Files:

18. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Gotta luv the whitewalls.

19. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    Where do you find these records?

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #21 miurasv, Nov 27, 2020
    It seems 330 GT 2+2 9083GT had an accident in your parents ownership. It was then rebodied by Michelotti. See 330gt.com

21. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    #22 78bonanza, Nov 27, 2020
    Actually , We had several different 330s that were bought from Chinetti . This one ,after another owner crashed it , and Chinetti had it rebodied back in Italy by Michelotti was finally bought by my father . Entirely different car from my prior post obviously . The car , owned by another FT member lives in Switzerland now.
    Here is a picture of our Michelotti. Image Unavailable, Please Login Michelotti
    If you search you should be able to find his post. Car looks beautiful and now in maroon

375+ likes this.
  22. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Discussed in thread here.

24. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    His 330GT 2+2 was always brown not Grigio Fumo so it doesn’t correlate with the 330 in that record . Why ? I have no idea other than I would recall if he wrecked one of his Ferraris. . That would have been a HUGE HUGE deal in my home. But who knows other than I know we had the brown 330 and the Michelotti ( maybe it did happen and he kept it a secret but he was too emotional, would never been able to pull it off IMO)