360 Roadtrip | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Roadtrip

Discussion in '360/430' started by imahorse, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I got mine on 8-18-20 and already put almost 2000 miles on it. Unfortunately mine is down for now with a blown head gasket.

imahorse likes this.
  2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    That is an impressive amount of miles. Well done! Sorry to hear about the head gasket. I haven't really heard of that happening with these cars before

dbdreams likes this.
  3. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    That seems to be the consensus among folks who have owned or worked on 360s, nobody has heard of it before but I have found a few examples on here who have had equally bad luck. On the bright side when I get it back it should be solid.

imahorse likes this.
  4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    If it's any consolation, the day I bought mine, I discovered it had a blown heat exchanger. A few couple weeks later I discovered the dash lights don't work and the timing belts were 20 years old. I can't relate to the people that call these reliable

dbdreams likes this.
  5. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    Wow, 20 year old belts, I bet you are glad you caught that.

I do wonder though if you took a car with fresh belts how long you could go before they actually caused an issue.

6. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I was definitely surprised. I wasn't very nice to the car in the test drive either. From my understanding, tensioner failure or variator failure is more common than belt failure. I haven't heard of a belt snapping on a 360.

dbdreams likes this.
  7. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Honestly doing this was one of the most powerful experiences I had as it tore me so far out of my comfort zone. I got my car running 2 days ago after it went only 50 miles last year due to numerous issues (not all the car's fault). I drove it 6 miles yesterday which was met with lots of smoking from the exhaust I put in. I think I have that all figured out today. I leave for Minnesota in 2 weeks and want to try again. I know I have some kind of F1 issue although I don't know what. I have an early tcu so I'm guessing my PIS is way off. I'm hoping to get my CS TCU dialed in before I go. It is a totally different car this time around. Image Unavailable, Please Login

vinny84, armedferret and dbdreams like this.
  8. deebo

deebo Rookie

Nov 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Awesome story. Love the black on black too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

imahorse likes this.
  9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looking good my friend

imahorse likes this.
  10. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    You’re story is awesome man! Looks like she was taken way too early..... I’d recommend Tom Keseluk (sp?) in MSP if you need any help or sorting out along the way. Wish I had used him when I had 360 issues.

imahorse likes this.
  11. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thank you! It's good to know there is someone out that way. I know they are working on an FNA there, but it will be a while. I'm able to get some F1 communication with my foxwell NT-520 and the CS TCU I have. I just hope I can get someone to program it in properly. Until them I'm on my 1st gen TCU with a pis at.... well who knows?

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I unfortunately wasn't able to get the F1 issue taken care of, but I think I'll be ok. *knock on wood* I wasn't able to change the brake fluid either but it's proven itself reliable over the years

I have maybe 40 miles on the car since I took it apart a year ago, but everything seems fine. I also maxed out my towing coverage. My family thinks this is a stupid idea and I wholeheartedly agree.

I leave tomorrow morning.

vinny84, kes7u and armedferret like this.
  13. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love this so hard.

Safe travels and have a blast!!

one4torque, imahorse and kes7u like this.
  14. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
  15. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Awesome stores! Safe travels!

imahorse likes this.
  16. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Alright. So I made it to Minnesota with no issues aside from CELs complaining about my cats not working properly. Strange since I don't have any cats anymore I cleared the codes 30 miles in and they never came back. In total I went 300 miles today. I made one stop which was brutal considering the carbon fiber seats and low profile tires. This thing is rough to drive very far.

So while I was in Black River Falls, I tried stopping at this bar and grill. I parked the car and saw people in the window taking pictures. I headed in and saw on the window a sign saying "We are closed. Thanks for your business over the years" I headed back to my car and went to the gas station down the road. I passed by on the way back to the highway and this cute redhead came out of the restaurant and flagged me down and asked me on a date lol. I go through there a few times a year so I just might have to take her up on that offer. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5 and armedferret like this.
  17. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I made it. On the way there the car dropped into neutral after i got on it. I still wonder what the problem is with that since the clutch is as thick as a new one. I also had another round of CELs including a pesky evap one. I'm happy I made the trip again. It's funny how much stress and effort is involved in making something happen that takes only a few moments. I leave tomorrow morning. I may have to see what that redhead is up to.... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Mission accomplished yet again. Well done! Seems you’re going to be making this a yearly ritual perhaps?

imahorse likes this.
  19. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I think so. It's a great way to kick off spring!

vinny84 likes this.
  20. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I agree!

imahorse likes this.
  21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice quality time w your baby!

imahorse likes this.
  22. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    vinny84, kes7u, E60 M5 and 2 others like this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Awesome thread Dustin! Glad you were able to get her out again!

imahorse likes this.
  24. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Thanks man! Yours is next!

25. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'm really hoping I can make the trip again this year. While I don't plan on doing my own build thread, I think this thread is best for my updates as a lot of my efforts are for making this trip every year. Toward the end of the season of 21 basically my whole F1 system needed to be rebuilt. While i was able to rebuild the power unit, the actuator needed repairing too. I also fear synchro damage. My frustrations were compounded when I saw that the SD could read solenoid leakage rates from the TCU but would not throw an F1 light on the dash. Apparently my clutch solenoid had been leaking for some time. I made a friend while in the twin cities who made/pieced together his own conversion and after getting a rough idea of how he did it, I decided to do the same.

I knew that this project would take a while and I still had my viper project to deal with. That car hadn't ran since 05 and was basically in boxes with no hardware and lots of pieces missing. The only parts of it that were completely installed were the drivetrain and the hvac. Everything else had to be disassembled and gone through. I decided to spend the 21-22 winter working on that. To make a very long story short, in 4 months I got it running and roadworthy. I planned to make the trip to the cities with it in spring, but the inspector who gives it a rebuilt title has been extremely difficult. It is currently being disassembled for paint. It's funny how the process of getting it painted and titled is taking longer than damn near rebuilding it from the frame up.

So '22 I had no fun car to drive. A few months ago I began the manual conversion. I have most of what I need. While it is great that there are new players in the game, I am frustrated how they only sell kits and refuse to sell individual parts. While I completely understand why they do this (money) it is highly irritating. I only need a few more parts. As I go along i will attempt to find them, however I will fabricate them if necessary. Fabrication/machining is the current plan.

As of today everything on the clutch side of the project is complete. I have yet to fill it and test it, so things could still go wrong of course, however everything is made/installed. This weekend I'll give it a shot. I really hope I resealed the TOB properly as I don't want to pull the transmission in the near future even though I will have to when I repair the transmission. My theory is that the CS TCU sped up synchro wear. Hopefully I can at least make this trip with the conversion shifting slowly and avoiding gears if necessary. It is almost all highway so this is reasonable. If not, hopefully I'll have the final bits of the viper sorted out.

Last 3 pictures are of the viper. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brogenville, RedNeck and armedferret like this.